American joining

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by CarthageBeatRome, Sep 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Hello all as I'm sure you guessed by the title I am currently an American living in the United States but however I have been considering for a number of years moving to Britain and such. One thing I would be very much interested in doing is being in the Army Reserves should I move there. I am curious though how would I go about doign that and what all the details are? Thanks for any help and advice you can give to me!
  2. If you're talking about the Territorial Army you may be out of luck. It is my understanding that the British Army accepts applicants from the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth only. But I could be mistaken about this. No doubt someone else will be by shortly to give a more definitive answer.

    You might be risking your American citizenship too as Uncle Sam frowns on guys joining foreign armies. Of course if you're intending to apply for British citizenship that may not matter.

    I gotta ask though. Why if you're already living in the socialist paradise of the Resident Kenyan would you even consider moving to the fiefdom of the one-eyed Scottish troll? :? :lol:

  3. Wait do you mean applicants that were natural born citizens or do you just have to get your citizen ship? I mean when I say I would move there of coarse I would get my citizenship if thats where I plan to spend the rest of my life at I mean why would the US have such a problem with me serving in another country where I would become a citizen and at that point I would no longer be an American.

  5. <table border="1"><tr><td colspan="3">Citizenship requirements for Territorial Army</td></tr>

    <tr><td>Territorial Army</td> <td>Soldier</td> <td>Officer</td></tr>
    <tr><td>British Citizen </td><td>Yes</td><td>Yes</td></tr>
    <tr><td>Citizen of a Commonwealth country or those with British Overseas Territories Citizenship</td><td>A period of Residency in the UK may be required for some jobs</td><td>Security clearance procedures require candidates, whether or not they are of UK origin, to have resided in the UK for a period of 5 years prior to entering officer training. In certain circumstances a waiver of part of this requirement may be granted</td></tr>
    <tr><td>A British Protected Person</td><td>Yes</td><td>Yes</td></tr>
    <tr><td>A citizen of Ireland </td><td>Yes</td><td>Yes</td></tr>
    <tr><td>Yanks</td><td>Don't make me larf</td><td>Do you think such a thing is humanly possible?</td></tr>


    Okay, the last line's a fake but you owe me for all the HTML at this time in the morning. And for the Declaration of Independence, Yorktown and the Treaty of Paris (come on - you allied with the French - what a horrible start for a new republic!) Basically, become a British or Irish citizen (which will do horrid things to your American citizenship) and you'll be allowed in. The residency requirements would probably be met by the time all the paperwork is completed.

    Also, please read this good lady's blog about how hard the UK Immigration Authorities can make it for Yanks to live and work over here:

    You might try joining the NG and then, when you move here, seeing if you could get an attachment.

    Apologies for all the editing but the HTML interpreter isn't perfect and preview doesn't show it up too well.
  6. I assume that it's 5 years as a citizen of the UK or commonwealth countries
  7. Are you sure? With 2 grand imperial adventures ongoing, I'm sure the US services are still recruiting. Admittedly, your NG opportunities may be limited by location but regular?
  8. If you join the National Guard you might be allowed to be attached to a TA unit. One of my old comrades did that in reverse when he went to study in the States. He joined a local NG unit and rejoined the TA on his return.
  9. Without wishing to be specific, I know of cases of non Commonwealth/ROI persons joining the TA, so although the rules say you can't join, it might not be impossible. However, I understand these people had been in the UK for some time. Also, I suspect you might need residency (used to be called ILR - indefinite leave to remain) before you can join, and once you have this, you won't be far off getting a British passport anyway.

    If you don't mind my asking, how are you going to get your 'British Green Card'?
  10. You're a cadet aren't you?
  11. Command_doh

    Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

    You wouldn't get through the front door I am afraid. You can't just move somewhere when you feel like it, and they don't issue residence visa's on the basis of being a prospective T.A. recruit. People don't leave the airport, and usually are sent home within hours under these circumstances. You could ask me how I know, or just take it as the truth, which it is.
  12. No-one thought of pointing out that there are a huge number of USA military units in the UK that he could be attached to as a Reservist?

    I thought not.
  13. Not really; it's clearly a troll. email:
  14. Aha.. I bow to your wisdom then.