American Free From Explosive Certs

Discussion in 'US' started by CC_TA, Dec 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Greetings. I'm currently on holiday in Afghanistan. We are making wine coolers and money boxes out of spent 105mm carts. Would a British FFE (Free From Explosive Certificate) be relevant for American forces to take carts home or would they need a US version If a US version is required who would the lads and lasses have to see to aquire such a cert in Bastion Cheers in advance.

2. FFE is only worth the paper it is written on if it is recognised by the accepting person/unit/country.

I wouldn't put my name to anything that wasn't going back in the UK system and at the end of the day when its a wine cooler or money box it's not longer an item of ammunition.

Just make sure the Ammo Techs get their fair share of freebies, or you could find your base resource drying up. ;-)

3. Cheers Dingerr

The Ammo Techs and EOD are being well looked after. (They're keep us busy with plenty of work too.)

4. Hmmmm Op-Plunder strikes again... :(

(I still want my Kosovo MFO box you Moving cnuts!)

5. Op plunder - apparently you're allowed two 105mm carts with FFEs each.

(I'm sure the rules will change by the time of the RIP!) :)

6. Just need to be a little careful. The cart case, by rights, still belongs to the MOD, usually certification is required signed by an AT (to indicate that it is FFE and not required by the system) and by SO2 Log (used to be ES, for some strange reason in BATUS) to show that it hasn't been nicked.

Personally i don't do it as it's the thin end of the wedge and before you know it people are bringing back all sorts of range items (including blinds) to take away as souvenirs.

7. For Herrick 7/8 I signed the FFE and Permission to Export certs for ammo items coming out of Bastion. The Chief Clerk did the Permission to Export for weapons. The only FFEs I did for non-UK pers was for some other contingents who were flying on RAF flights and then I told them that it was up to their system to accept it once they left KAF or Brize.

Found the cooks to be best for freebies...never wanted for biscuits.

8. Good luck with this though. This sort of thing can be a family heirloom someday. I had a great-uncle (who I never knew) who was a sailor in the USN and went around the world 1907-1909 in the Great White Fleet. He was on the USS Vermont (BB-20). I have an umbrella stand made from a 7 inch naval shell. They flared the top out and hammered designs on the side. The base looks like one piece of wood but when turned over you can see several blocks were glued together before it was lathe turned into a base. Nice work. I never knew Uncle Jack but am proud to have his work.

Maybe someday a hundred years from now someone will be showing off a wine cooler made in Afghanistan by a relative.

(note:Vermont had a short life 1907-1920, you chaps came up with the Dreadnought and naval ship design was revolutionized.)

9. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Slightly off thread

I seem to remember every old soldier in the 70's and 80's had a shell case in the hall for umbrellas etc
    Was it easier to get away with kit then?

10. Boy Syrup:

Sorry if my post seemed off thread.

More on thread the agency of US Govt that determines if firearms, ammo etc are legal to import is the Bureau of Alchohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the US Justice Dept. There regulations are complex and a bit nebulous at the same time and tend to mean whatever the ATF agents want them to mean. I am not an expert in ATF regs but my guess is that a shell converted to wine cooler, ashtray etc would not be a problem for US import but that an unmodified shell casing might be. I would also expect regulations and enforcement might get stricter as Obama is anti-gun and VP Elect Biden has a record of being vitriolically anti-gun.

11. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Sorry was refering to my post being off thread :D