American Football vs Rugby

Ignore my O2 tag for a sec if you can.

Rugby: A game for chumps.

American Football: A game for champs.

What say you?

JoseyWales said:
Thank you.

Of course, by Cnut I trust you mean all those Rugby playing pretenders, don't you?

There you go, old boy.

Rugby is for chumps.

I rest my case.

JoseyWales said:
The All Blacks would go through any of your football teams like sh1t through a goose.

Back to the hole chump.

The All Blacks would find themseves all red in the face if they went against any of our "Z" division teams.

My rugby club was invited to play an American Football team on tour. They lent us the girlie gear, and beat us narrowly. After ten minutes of them playing us at rugby, they called the game off as they were getting too many injuries. Says it all really.

American football is for girls.

I've played both at university level and I'll say the following:

American Football:

More dangerous (because of the helmets)
Less fitness required
good fun but only if you have 5 hours to play a match

Rugby:

The game of gods

S_R

Devil_Dog said:
Ignore my O2 tag for a sec if you can.

Rugby: A game for chumps.

American Football: A game for champs.

What say you?
I say you're a cunt.

American Football-a game invented by Yank Colleges around 1910 due to the amount of fatalities they were experiencing whilst playing rugby (something like 26 in one season in 1909 I believe).

I've played against Yank rugby teams-they are fcuking useless and unable to take big hits. The majority of them came from American Football backgrounds as well.

If anyone needed an explanation why devil Dog has an O2 tag, his(??)creating this thread would be answer enough.
To come onto a British site and gob off about the showbiz 'sport'/come advertisers wankfest that is American Football is the latest of this fools pathetic attempts at a wind up, at least I hope it is because if he's serious, his mental health issues are even worse than I thought.
American Football better than Rugby, hmmm let's compare.
One game played by 15 men for 80 minutes, very little if any protection worn (Jock straps don't count.). Input from coach at half time (or via waterboy after tries or conversion time), rest of instructions from Captain and verbal 'encouragement' from senior team members.
The other played by 30-40 players for 3-4 minute periods for 4-5 hours, (Crucial part of the game?? Let's stop for an ad break!).Input from numerous coaches at every opportunity. Offensive/ Defensive can't you play your game for the full game?
Admittedly a lot of big mean guys but could they run about full tilt for nigh on 40 mins before having a go on the oxygen/a lie down. I think not. Etc etc etc.
As a final point, a member of my family used to work at a prestigious American School in the UK. Their Head of Phys Ed was an former Ivy League College Rugby player who had changed codes from American Football in his teens as he preferred and I quote 'The more physical game of Rugby to the prima donna ridden farce of A.F."

devil_dog you are a bog trotting, swamp living, shirt lifting, moss eating, tripe munching septic toss-piece.

american football is seen quite rightly by the rest of the world as a hilarious joke, simply because we all play RUGBY instead.

while i'm at it, lets all have a jolly good chuckle at BASEBALL too, what a crock of $h1te.

and bowling.

and basketball.

in fact, given the population of your ridiculous nation, you really aren't much good at anything are you, because you're all too fat, too ugly and too stupid.

As a game it looks really cool, but thats exaclty what its designed to be - a spectacular game for the spectators. I played at university for a year but got bored.

I like both to be honest - though haven't ever sat and watched a rugby match, where I have sat through the whole 3 hour advert fest of an american football game.

have never been much of one for watching sports at all though - prefer doing, being part of, any activity.

They are similar, but very different. The Am' football players are without doubt very fit, very strong, imposing and look good on TV - but that does not translate to being able to withstand the amount of hits, gouging, trampling etc that goes on in a rugby match.

The US game was branched off from rugby as has been mentioned, partly due to the horrific injury rate.... since then it has been even more sanitised and groomed for, built around the TV audience. Some of the rules are just plain silly and it's like HSE got involved - "pass interference' for example.... :roll: Jesus H Christ - what a stupid rule.

Strange as it may seem the best, closest analogy I can come up with for American football is that it is a merger of rugby and chess.... set piece plays arranged by the sideline tacticians and played out in short burst of violent activity.

Do like the cheeleaders though! But it's a shame that a game that is only 1 hour long, has been morphed (through TV sponsorship) into 3 hours..... I can only eat so many Doritos and drink so much 'lawnmower beer'.

When in Rome however......... did get into the NFL when I lived there. It was the only US sport I had any time for..... baseball is as boring as cricket, basketball just too repetitive......

Go Seahawks!!

Rapier said:
My rugby club was invited to play an American Football team on tour. They lent us the girlie gear, and beat us narrowly. After ten minutes of them playing us at rugby, they called the game off as they were getting too many injuries. Says it all really.

American football is for girls.

i thought they're wearing all the stuff to make them look at least a bit mature

didn't know they're just cowards

TBH, NFL is a game that doesn't quite hit all the buttons, but some of the injuries sustained are horrendous even with all that padding. IIRC, there was one player that had his knee totally discolated, he was carried off betwen two coaches with his leg swinging in all directions due to nothing holding it to his upper leg other than skin.