American Football vs Rugby

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Devil_Dog, Jun 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ignore my O2 tag for a sec if you can.

Rugby: A game for chumps.

American Football: A game for champs.

What say you?
  2. Thank you.

Of course, by Cnut I trust you mean all those Rugby playing pretenders, don't you?
  3. Err., no !
  4. The boys over here don't wear helmets and body armour. It's just pain.
  5. There you go, old boy.

Rugby is for chumps.

I rest my case.
  6. The All Blacks would go through any of your football teams like sh1t through a goose.

Back to the hole chump.

7. The All Blacks would find themseves all red in the face if they went against any of our "Z" division teams.
  8. My rugby club was invited to play an American Football team on tour. They lent us the girlie gear, and beat us narrowly. After ten minutes of them playing us at rugby, they called the game off as they were getting too many injuries. Says it all really.

American football is for girls.
  9. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I've played both at university level and I'll say the following:

American Football:

More dangerous (because of the helmets)
    Less fitness required
    good fun but only if you have 5 hours to play a match

The game of gods

10. I say you're a cunt.

American Football-a game invented by Yank Colleges around 1910 due to the amount of fatalities they were experiencing whilst playing rugby (something like 26 in one season in 1909 I believe).

I've played against Yank rugby teams-they are fcuking useless and unable to take big hits. The majority of them came from American Football backgrounds as well.
  11. If anyone needed an explanation why devil Dog has an O2 tag, his(??)creating this thread would be answer enough.
    To come onto a British site and gob off about the showbiz 'sport'/come advertisers wankfest that is American Football is the latest of this fools pathetic attempts at a wind up, at least I hope it is because if he's serious, his mental health issues are even worse than I thought.
    American Football better than Rugby, hmmm let's compare.
    One game played by 15 men for 80 minutes, very little if any protection worn (Jock straps don't count.). Input from coach at half time (or via waterboy after tries or conversion time), rest of instructions from Captain and verbal 'encouragement' from senior team members.
    The other played by 30-40 players for 3-4 minute periods for 4-5 hours, (Crucial part of the game?? Let's stop for an ad break!).Input from numerous coaches at every opportunity. Offensive/ Defensive can't you play your game for the full game?
    Admittedly a lot of big mean guys but could they run about full tilt for nigh on 40 mins before having a go on the oxygen/a lie down. I think not. Etc etc etc.
    As a final point, a member of my family used to work at a prestigious American School in the UK. Their Head of Phys Ed was an former Ivy League College Rugby player who had changed codes from American Football in his teens as he preferred and I quote 'The more physical game of Rugby to the prima donna ridden farce of A.F."