American F-35s grounded

Exactly. An aircraft still being developed was found to have problem in a blade in the engine of ONE aircraft. How exactly is this headline news?

I'd hold off the panic button for now, sounds like they've confirmed a crack on one of the blades. Doesn't mean it is a fleet wide issue though. Until the disk has been stripped and all of the blades checked it doesn't mean much just yet. Could be FoD, highly unlikely since it's a LPT blade but stranger things have happened. More likely a production issue, single crystal blades are difficult and expensive to produce. They lose around 10% of a production run and it isn't beyond the bounds of reason that a blade has slipped through the inspection process.

F-14, 16, 18, and Tornado all had similar issues. Not a drama yet, this is why have checks.

Never had this problem with the Harrier did we?
Wind ups aside, the little puffer plane went through engines at quite a high rate - the feck off big intakes give a clue.

'In July 1992, problems in the F402 were said to be the single biggest reason for a 1986-1991 Harrier accident rate three times that of other Navy aircraft.'

F402-RR

Will take a wager now. The F-35 will never see operational service in the UK.

Our carriers will be sold to a nation that will pay for them to be properly fitted out.... Or just scrap them.

C'est ca.

The F-35B has to work, the USMC has staked everything on it.
The A is a must have too. The USN only C model is a nice to have and is the most likely to be shitcanned.

Wind ups aside, the little puffer plane went through engines at quite a high rate - the feck off big intakes give a clue.

'In July 1992, problems in the F402 were said to be the single biggest reason for a 1986-1991 Harrier accident rate three times that of other Navy aircraft.'

F402-RR
I was on RAF Gutersloh in the early 80s (possibly 83 84) and was cabbying along the route next to the airfield and a hovering Harrier let out a big belch and crashed to the deck. Looked expensive and as I was there doing ADR (filling in holes in the runways), quite apt. Never found out if anyone got hurt, obviously hope not.

Just found this on Google, not sure if it's the same one.
"...in 1985, fatal crash of local Harrier GR3 XV809/AF from 3 Squadron".

RIP

Latest Threads