American Army

Had a wife and three US/UK dual nationality kids. Tried to get a green card. What a lengthy nause. Gave up in the end and stayed in UK.
How long ago was it since you tried for the green card. When I did it before the time of computers, it took quite a while but I had my green card within nine months or so and citizenship 3 years later.

For me the biggest pain was travelling down to London from Edinburgh for something that took 20 minutes to complete.

My mother has a US passport so I am entitled to a green card. Some years ago I was walking around LA trying to decide what to do with my life.

I was smashing a very tidy yank girl at the time and seriously thinking about moving there.

Out of random curiosity I ended up in the US Navy careers office.

Got chatting to a recruiter, explained I was currently serving in the Royal Navy and that I’d be out soon. Told him that I was a Phalanx maintainer and qualified on a lot of US kit.

Basically the bloke was ******* clueless, didn’t even know what the Royal Navy was. Didn’t even know what a Phalanx was (it’s a gun fitted to pretty much every ship in the USN). Didn’t have a clue what the process was for a foreign national to join even if they had a green card. In fact he barely even spoke English, he might’ve been Mexican.

It never went any further than that.

However I have since worked a fair bit with the US Forces and on US bases. I also have a distant cousin in the USMC.

It’s a completely different world out there. The military is not a job out there like it is here. It becomes your (and your family’s) life. The money is by all accounts not very good, you also get very little leave.

But on the flip side, you get decent food, a house, schooling for your kids, amazing sports and leisure facilities. Basically everything you need is provided and you are not expected to deviate from the life given to you by the military.

You are expected to fully integrate into military life. You live on base, all your friends are your work colleagues, your missus is friends with their missus, your kids play little league together, when they become teenagers they are given jobs on the base, you spend your weekends at eachothers married quarters having BBQs, you live on the same street. Basically you do not leave the base, because you don’t really need to.

Great life if that’s what you fancy but a big change from how we do things over here.
They really do live to work, where as they say we brits work to live

How long ago was it since you tried for the green card. When I did it before the time of computers, it took quite a while but I had my green card within nine months or so and citizenship 3 years later.

For me the biggest pain was travelling down to London from Edinburgh for something that took 20 minutes to complete.
I bet you had one of those old PITA 70's issued cards with no expiration date....

Oh fùck Jonesy old son, now that's a reach remembering that far back 33 years ago. Also SWMBO has told me that the card I had had no expiration date on it so fùck knows where I got 15 years from.

These days, half the time I can't remember what I went into a room for.

Oh fùck Jonesy old son, now that's a reach remembering that far back 33 years ago. Also SWMBO has told me that the card I had had no expiration date on it so fùck knows where I got 15 years from.

These days, half the time I can't remember what I went into a room for.
Disco Sam, the side burn man with his 80's era card. You were the Sheriff on Stranger things and I claim my 10 bucks!

Nice sunny day here and I'm done working for the day so I'm off to make a brew and am going to sit on the back deck and watch the wild critters going about their business.

Later kid.

Sorry for the disjointed replies,

She’s from San Diego and active navy at the moment but getting out shortly, however she’s fine with pretty much anywhere in the US, I’ve spoken to an airforce recruiter already as she begged me basically as the life is better but they said non citizens have like 7 jobs open to them.
One of my many home towns!

The top card stopped being issued in 2010.
For a first time issue it is only valid for 2 years and then after that for ten.

The bottom card was the indefinite expiration and they are hated.
I was supposed to have it on me all the time when out and about. Never did though in case I lost my wallet.

I may be wrong on this, it’s been a while, but I don’t think you actually need a GC to join up. You just have to be physically present, and legal. In other words, some classes of non-immigrant visas work.

You do have to be physically present in the US to apply. I looked into it for the Guard years ago and the recruiters would not talk to me unless I was feet on the ground in the US.

+1 on the other points re the military owning your life and those of your family. My BIL retired last year, I’ve seen firsthand how the US military works. No complaints, “fit in or fûck off”.

Best of luck!
Ages ago and finishing my 9 with the colours, i thought of joining the American Army, the advice i got was, on demob, take a holiday to New York, walk in to the recruiting office, and hopefully Bob's your Uncle.

I'm going to be the skeleton at the feast, here. You'd be employable now as a junior-level networks guy with your qualification and current experience, I'd certainly look at you. Four years down the road, with a four-year experience gap and a rapidly-ageing out CCNA? Not so much.

Ages ago and finishing my 9 with the colours, i thought of joining the American Army, the advice i got was, on demob, take a holiday to New York, walk in to the recruiting office, and hopefully Bob's your Uncle.
Probably the very reason why there is a recruiting office right in the middle of Times Square.

SWMBO knows a Doctor who had one of the type of cards below. It has an expiration but she's not sure how long it's good for.

View attachment 388081

Mine looked like this.

View attachment 388082
Mine had a 10 year expiration, issued in '08, IIRC. I think renewals are pretty straightforward, nothing like the utter ball ache of getting one in the first place.

And then what happened?

A Secret spy Base got in contact with me just then and gave me a job, so I didnt follow it up .

To make you laugh:

Pedalling to my office, a lovely young woman was arranging the unloading of a Military truck, it was American, she was, beautifully dressed, lovely hair and a clipboard held in a beguiling way, as i approached on the footpath i called out "Could i squeez past?" she sallied with the ripost "You can squeez anything you like honey!".

I nearly fell off my bike.