American Army

You discuss with the recruiter what you would like to do, and select your MOS. If you go active you will have more fields open to you. If you go Guard you will get to pick an MOS that is specific to the unit you are joining and what they need.

What in the devil would you be asking for?

But you will always be subject to the needs of whatever Branch you join. You might even qualify for a "bonus" depending on what is needed at the time.

This is of course pending you get through MEPS, which you should.
I think the only thing I’d be asking for is location without being arsed about it and if that’s not viable then oh well, ideally Bragg due to the amount of jobs that could be open to her, anything else and I’m easy going.

I think the only thing I’d be asking for is location without being arsed about it and if that’s not viable then oh well, ideally Bragg due to the amount of jobs that could be open to her, anything else and I’m easy going.
You can ask, but you will be stationed where the Army needs you in the end. Granted Fort Carson is a much nicer place.

I went Guard, they have some nice perks and some drawbacks as well. It would be a better way to dip your toes into the water.
Without sounding thick what’s the difference?

I think the reason I want to stay in the army in some way or another is because I like going away and travelling etc and although it can be a **** around I generally do enjoy the job.

Hi all,

Recently I’ve found myself in a position where I will have the opportunity to move to America in the near future and I haven’t signed off yet so it’s still a year plus away.

I will be applying for a green card shortly and as my other half is an American citizen and I have no criminal convictions other than a drunk and disorderly on the spot this should all be fine.

Luckily my other half is in a position where she can earn a very good income stateside so I’m in the position where I can pursue anything I wish ( I will be getting my CCNA quals shortly so I’ve got a back up and have experience in this field.) however I enjoy the army and I would like to see what at least four years in their army would be like with the benefits such as the GI bill etc and this would speed up the citizenship process etc.

Does anyone have any prior experience of this or know of anyone that has done it? How did it go for yourselves or them etc?

Thanks
Wish the bloody Septics had an Embassy in Engerlund.

Without sounding thick what’s the difference?

I think the reason I want to stay in the army in some way or another is because I like going away and travelling etc and although it can be a **** around I generally do enjoy the job.
You get to maintain a life in the Guard, because you are not full time unless you are activated. You will also stay in the same location, and not have to worry about PCSing every couple of years. You would get the same training as your active counterparts but you won't practice it as often, or be exposed to the levels of bullshit all the time.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
National Guard is basically the US version of the TA.

If you don't need to, why?
It would depend on what MOS you could qualify for, but getting fucked around by the Green Weenie might not be conducive to family life. Do you have kids? Are you sure the wife can get a job anywhere in the States or Overseas?
Good point, join up and see the world, USAF Lakenheath or equivalent perhaps.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Except I would say the National Guard has capabilities that exceed most countries Regular Armies.
No one’s disputing how much money the US spends on its military.

You’re still the part time element of the US forces which makes you very comparable to the TA in terms of role.

I’m not sure if it’s still true but I seem to recall a fun fact that the biggest Air Forces in the world in terms of aircraft are as follows:

1. US Air Force
2. US Navy
3. US Army
4. US Marines
5. Russia

You get the idea.

My time was in the long ago but you didn’t need to be a citizen to join up. It did (as others have mentioned) limit opportunities but it sped up the naturalization (ahem) process. I was basically a brew bitch in a USNR Seabee depot until that happened and they let me cross to gunner’s mate and eventually aviation where I wound down as a contractor a couple of years ago. It was perfect for me but the entity I joined in the late 90s doesn’t exist anymore. We basically did our civilian jobs in uniform and at the time if you were over 26 you didn’t even attend basic. It was a bit mad now that I think of it.

No one’s disputing how much money the US spends on its military.

You’re still the part time element of the US forces which makes you very comparable to the TA in terms of role.

I’m not sure if it’s still true but I seem to recall a fun fact that the biggest Air Forces in the world in terms of aircraft are as follows:

1. US Air Force
2. US Navy
3. US Army
4. US Marines
5. Russia

You get the idea.
The difference is in the training and the roles of the guard and the ability to deploy large formations.

I was shocked when I learnt your TA folks could do their initiatal training one weekend at a time.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The difference is in the training and the roles of the guard and the ability to deploy large formations.

I was shocked when I learnt your TA folks could do their initiatal training one weekend at a time.
Different hammer, same nail.

We do things differently. Our TA / Army Reserve is a much more integral part of the full time Army with individuals slotting into roles. You guys are basically how the TA was before WW1.

Very separate organisations that operated under the own rules.

Gen question, as a National Guardsman, could you be called up as an individual, to slot into a regular Army unit, or do you go as a group with fellow Guardsmen?