American army recruitment

dingerr said:
And they always appear on TV wearing glasses as thick as jam jar bottoms!?!
I believe the issued glasses are known as "birth control" spectacles, for rather obvious reasons.

dingerr said:
I would rather eat my own feet.

Why would anyone give up the right to join the best army in the world to join that bunch of clowns. The can't even fight, they get all upset when you stick the nut on them, grab them by the b0llocks or bite them - fairies.
lol

I hear what you are saying Dingerr.

Can I refer you to post number three in this very same thread.

Meanwhile, having studied the opportunities in some detail with my assistance, it would appear that the after-service care and benefits are considerably lush. That is, in comparison to what the Queen's army is able to offer.

and would you like onions with your feet?

D

Deleted 20555

Scabster_Mooch said:
Swamp_Rat said:
Anyone have a link on the procedure?

Reason being I have a nephew interesting in joining up, he is not an American and not resident in the US.

I saw a thread on here recently about it but can't find the fcuker now.

Any tips would be appreciated, thanks.
Wouldn't you need to at least have a green card to enlist in the US army?
Apparently not - I did see a article saying that they'll offer green card or equivalent to recruits - didn't say if it was granted after service or how long the term would be - have of course lost it though.

adonwar

Old-Salt
Maybe I'm wrong but just looked at the website cant believe its only 9wks basic and 9wks inf' training.....explains a lot.

shemulie

Old-Salt
Swamp_Rat said:
Meanwhile, having studied the opportunities in some detail with my assistance, it would appear that the after-service care and benefits are considerably lush. That is, in comparison to what the Queen's army is able to offer.
quote]

Too bloody right!

As enlisted there's the G.I. Bill and such benefits for education. Healthcare is provided and it's a VERY high standard. I grew up a US Airforce Brat and they take excellent care of the whole family.

As an officer you live off post but get a housing allowance that is more than adequate, especially if you get an appartment and share it with a bunch of lads.
They pay for moving and a bunch of other things and always more than enougth and so one can bank loads of extra cash if smart!
Then there's combat pay, reduced taxes on ops etc etc etc.

Generally officers wages in the US are about $10,000 less than that of the UK last time I did the calculations. But once you factor in all the allowances, then the lower tax rate and much lower cost of living in the US they work out nicely on top.

Americans have a huge respect for their military too, which is alsways nice. Added to this most places carry military discounts and military orientated banks like USAA offer excellent services and rates for military personel.

Then there's the factor that being a huge military there is little or no 'dead mans shoes' as in the UK. As a ranker, if you have any college they'll make you an automotic Sgt whereas I see Cpl's/ acting Sgt's in the UK doing a Sgt's job on a Cpl's pay for a couple of years first.
Generally speaking I think their rates of promotion and trade oppertunities are a lot more available as there is less competition for each space.
Makes us in the UK an extremly professional force, but kind of sucks from a career standpoint.

But basically all enough to have me considering hopping back stateside!
I can't stand how they micromanage though. Their military mentality does take quite some geting used too. I miss hearing taps every night but couldn' f-ing stand their kit nazis, if its not issued or identical basically it wont fly! I used to always wear my old scrim scalf I was issued in the UK just to piss off one of the SSgt's, much to the amusement of the officers! And they dont really do field craft or have any concept on personal adminin the field... or waterproofing!

But hey, at least if you join up with them there's a good chance Hollwood will make a blockbuster about your units endevours!

You've sold them on all the good points, but you have made it look that if you want to do soldiering the US military is not the place to look

dingerr said:
I would rather eat my own feet.

Why would anyone give up the right to join the best army in the world to join that bunch of clowns. The can't even fight, they get all upset when you stick the nut on them, grab them by the b0llocks or bite them - fairies.
Another keyboard warrior. :sleepy:

Still hoping you'll take me up on my suggestion you blow your own brains out--I thought latrine clerks were still allowed weapons.

We'll make sure to read some poetry at your funeral:

Here we sit in (faint) praise of dingerr
proud king-of-the-sh*tters was he,
his pride in glory-holes was weirder
but explained his face so pasty

He was found decked out in a stall
in an outfit any ladyboy would envy,
his last message left in a scrawl
'I made sure everyone left limply'

Rumor is he died of a stroke or angina
after servicing a platoon with no thanks,
Some swear they had accents from Carolina
and heard dingerr yell, "f-ing non-tipping Yanks!"

shemulie

Old-Salt
adonwar said:
Maybe I'm wrong but just looked at the website cant believe its only 9wks basic and 9wks inf' training.....explains a lot.
Yeh, whats worse is their officers.
They get their comission after just 4 years of ROTC classes while at uni (and I mean classes, mostly on... landnav...landnav, writing op-orders and more landnav, oh and 4 times a year in the field) and then a 6 week assesement camp!!! Then onto Officer Basic Course (OBC) for whatever branch they're in then off to their first assignment!!! You'd cringe at some of the wretches I've seen butter bars pinned on!

Much better in the USMC they actually have to do an Officers Candidate School (OCS) around 10 weeks, get their comission, then do The Basic School (TBS) for 6 months of officer training, then onto OBC.

USMC Bootcamp for enlisted is 14 weeks, but their infanrty training is still only 9 weeks!
And all US basic/ boot os standardised to the Army or Marines, so an infantry recruit get the same as a cook... so basically it covers little in the way of skills. No tactical stuff at all!

adonwar

Old-Salt
Sorry but no surprise mate.

Still unable to formulate a witty repose virgin hit me with humour its far more cutting than your abuse, but being a half wit that would be difficult. The ditty, not yours is it, you stole it and basterdised it. So you had to encompass someone elses efforts to abuse me - come on put some effort in.

My comment was not unfair its not like US forces are revered, more often reviled.
And as i said why would a Brit want to join any other army.

Your comment about latrine clerks does somewhat amuse me as i am studying some literature on the 1st world war and in particular the importance of the latrine NCO, his duties were considered extremely important in the trenches.

You obviously look to demean people and i suspect by that tirade you attach yourself an air of elitism and chose to look down on people who do the menial tasks. I look after my boys. Fotunately, you do not have the option of joining the British Forces, saves you the embarressment of not being able to make the grade.

I assumed an attorney would be an intelligent man, maybe i was wrong and had not allowed for a self-serving individual. There is no I in TEAM, but for YOU, when you look closely there is a ME.

shemulie

Old-Salt
dingerr said:
You've sold them on all the good points, but you have made it look that if you want to do soldiering the US military is not the place to look
I 'used' to say in the US the military is a lifestyle, in the UK it is a profession.

Meaning that stateside it was almost more about shouting Hooah, cadences, tigth T-shirst and testostorone than it was actual drill and skills. Possibly stemming from them being pedominantly a peacetime force between Vietnam and 9/11 aside from rather short engajemens such as Grenada or the First Gulf, (or First Great Desert War as one 101s Cpt liked to call it!) and just the weird way American society works.
They have a very different approach to soldiering but still, things like field admin and waterproofing, taking care of yourself instead trying to be a hard bastard and ending up looking like a k--t seemed a no-brainer to me!

Just from being in the states the past 4 years training under their system, however, I have noticed huge shifts in the way they do things, so give them credit for adapting. It is like their Northern Ireland. The entire military system is learning a lot of lessons from trail and error. The best example is the transition of their MOUT tactics from charge in, frag n spray every room, to very methodical, secure tactics modeled of lessons gleaned from SWAT and other sources... so there is hope!

The Green Berets is an outstanding place for soldiering and is bloody huge!

shemulie said:
Yeh, whats worse is their officers.
They get their comission after just 4 years of ROTC classes while at uni (and I mean classes, mostly on... landnav...landnav, writing op-orders and more landnav, oh and 4 times a year in the field) and then a 6 week assesement camp!!! Then onto Officer Basic Course (OBC) for whatever branch they're in then off to their first assignment!!! You'd cringe at some of the wretches I've seen butter bars pinned on!
On the bright side, it makes it easier for NCOs to manage some of them.

On the other hand you didn't mention the droves of military school types; VMI, Citadel, Norwich and West Point. Some of the best and worst officers come out of these programs. It's always a crap shoot with the academy types.

Much better in the USMC they actually have to do an Officers Candidate School (OCS) around 10 weeks, get their comission, then do The Basic School (TBS) for 6 months of officer training, then onto OBC.
Another concept the USMC does which I like is that every officer will command an artillery, armour or infantry unit at some point in their career. That means even lawyers and pilots.

USMC Bootcamp for enlisted is 14 weeks, but their infanrty training is still only 9 weeks!
And all US basic/ boot os standardised to the Army or Marines, so an infantry recruit get the same as a cook... so basically it covers little in the way of skills. No tactical stuff at all!
The USMC considers all of its Marines infantry so covers extensively in basic unlike the Army. Most Army training for combat arms is then done on the job (OJT) in house.

I went to an airborne unit after jump school. While we were 'tactical' support--there were no infantry soldiers there--unless they'd changed MOSs. Because we supported combat arms units like the 82d, Marines and even the Brits in the late '80s the unit was embarrassed by some poor performances. So the battalion instituted a series of annual 'validations' for soldiers, teams and companies which included infantry movement, contact, clearing trenches, MOUT, and several 'scenarios'. The new focus changed the perception of the unit of itself and by others and is still used Group-wide today.

The downside is it's not standardized throughout non-combat units in the Army, and only through the initiative of officers and NCOs within the unit.

dingerr said:
Still unable to formulate a witty repose virgin hit me with humour its far more cutting than your abuse, but being a half wit that would be difficult. The ditty, not yours is it, you stole it and basterdised it. So you had to encompass someone elses efforts to abuse me - come on put some effort in.
No, it is mine and mine alone. You did miss the point fcukwit.

My comment was not unfair its not like US forces are revered, more often reviled.
And as i said why would a Brit want to join any other army.
Could care less about your view of the US Army. But a complete ass like yourself who has stated others could take their pity about US helicopters tragedies somewhere else should be reviled as the piece of human garbage it is.

Your comment about latrine clerks does somewhat amuse me as i am studying some literature on the 1st world war and in particular the importance of the latrine NCO, his duties were considered extremely important in the trenches.
But you're still the glory-hole king ain't ya?

You obviously look to demean people and i suspect by that tirade you attach yourself an air of elitism and chose to look down on people who do the menial tasks. I look after my boys. Fotunately, you do not have the option of joining the British Forces, saves you the embarressment of not being able to make the grade.
No, I look to demean you, which is embarrassingly easy since it a bit like swimming with the current. And sorry chum-bucket, I joined, worked my way through the ranks and then through law school.

I assumed an attorney would be an intelligent man, maybe i was wrong and had not allowed for a self-serving individual. There is no I in TEAM, but for YOU, when you look closely there is a ME.
You really didn't think that through did you half-wit? I attacked you because you made negative remarks regarding dead Marines and soldiers, remarks even your own attacked you on. Not very self-serving there is it Einstein.

It's one thing to criticize and another to believe you're the best, but your anti-American BS is almost at pathological levels. BTW, this is the Multi-national forum, if you're going to pull that shit here you'll get shit back. Hike your skirt up and have another cup' a tea Ian.

shemulie

Old-Salt
Virgil said:
On the other hand you didn't mention the droves of military school types; VMI, Citadel, Norwich and West Point. Some of the best and worst officers come out of these programs. It's always a crap shoot with the academy types.
Now why the hell does everyone put VMI before El Cid???

I agree with you there! Especially as The Citadel, and lesser insitues in Virginia go. There are the highly motivated guys that make good officers, but sometimes bad ones too (too much looking in the mirror), then the really really really WTF bad ones... The beauty of El Cid and VMI is, you can 'do' ROTC, which everyone has to do, but no do a single FTX or PT session, still get the credit, and 2 months before graduation decided, oh s--t I need a job, or succumb to the notion that it's fashionable to be in the guard, graduate El Cid and contract as an after camp comissionee!

Whats best, the ROTC classes are for the most part a waste of time for the Army and Air force as the classes a full of cadets not going into the military who are there just cos they have to be, and so sort of have to be passed. Afer 3 years, and the Cpt still has to explain what a squad is... he just got back from the sandbox and you see that look in his face asking why? ... it all becomes a joke! Thankfully El Cid has a new head of military science that has vamped things up a lot!

shemulie

Old-Salt
Virgil said:
The USMC considers all of its Marines infantry so covers extensively in basic unlike the Army. Most Army training for combat arms is then done on the job (OJT) in house.
Spoke to mates after Boot and they said they never really covered much tactical stuff. Still what they do, considering even non combat branches get it, is a good idea. ...Army OTJ, like Jessica Lynch right?

Virgil said:
Another concept the USMC does which I like is that every officer will command an artillery, armour or infantry unit at some point in their career. That means even lawyers and pilots.
I can't stand that. So you can be shipping off to Iraq and get some ******** from Transpo rotated in!?!?!?!
Do you know if it happens to everyone? Do combat branch or MI do it too?

shemulie said:
Virgil said:
Spoke to mates after Boot and they said they never really covered much tactical stuff. Still what hey do, considering even non combat branches get it, is a good idea.

Virgil said:
I can't stand that. So you can be shipping off to Iraq and get some ******** from Transpo rotated in!?!?!?!
Do you know if it happens to everyone? Do combat branch or MI do it too?
I was thinking more along the lines of that is what makes their CAS so much better than the Air Force's. Yeah, you're right about the Transport officer, but--at least in garrison--it gives admin/support personnel an idea of what the line units are up against. They'll probably still be the d*ckheads they are in the Army.

Dingerr

your a c0cksucker, why don't you p1ss off back to your George Galloway loving, anti military circle of bedsit dwelling walt mates....

the Guardian and Islamofascists operate internet chat sites why don't you stay on them?

Well Virgin that's is a bit better i've stimulated the half brain that you have. Why do you have such a problem with me not caring either way if a foreign helicoptor crashes?
Am i obliged by the rule of the US, enforced by you, to have different opinion? Is this not the world we live in? Do you know each and everyone of those soldiers that died? Do you think of them everyday with fondness and gratitude? What do you reasonably expect of me?

Funny how you refer to the sh1te house as a degrading insult, i find it more amusing than degrading, its not really the way to insult a brit, ironic really when you lot are known as septics.

Yet you refer to someone who has expressed an opinion contrary to yours as stupid? yet you are clueless as to my background or what i do at present?

Your weak. And as for the comment as self-serving thats how i view you because the likes of you and T_W wallow in the pity of the deaths of others unconnected with yourselves, trying to coat yourselves in attention. "look at me i'm so hurt, an american died today, look at my grief". This i find as poor and shows no respect for the family of the deceased.

Your an old man who the world has passed by and you don't like it because your country supports the current forces and your generation failed in the likes of Vietnam and your glorious country turned on you.

Even if i was a feck-wit i would still be a genius compared to an inbred fool like you.

You are nothing, you are the hole that remains when you take your hand out of a bucket of water.

dingerr said:
Well Virgin that's is a bit better i've stimulated the half brain that you have. Why do you have such a problem with me not caring either way if a foreign helicoptor crashes?
I'd follow the clues if I were you Sherlock. Really, if you have to ask the question you've already forgotten your wonderful "TEAM" analogy.

Am i obliged by the rule of the US, enforced by you, to have different opinion? Is this not the world we live in? Do you know each and everyone of those soldiers that died? Do you think of them everyday with fondness and gratitude? What do you reasonably expect of me?
It's what is reasonably expected of any soldier from a country fighting the same war, which I doubt you are. A bit of decency, basic humanity, etc., wasted on you.

You aren't obliged to do anything except steal oxygen from someone more deserving. When you post sh*t and someone shoves it back don't act like a haughty old granny who saw some kid pull out his pecker at Sunday services.

Funny how you refer to the sh1te house as a degrading insult, i find it more amusing than degrading, its not really the way to insult a brit, ironic really when you lot are known as septics.

Yet you refer to someone who has expressed an opinion contrary to yours as stupid? yet you are clueless as to my background or what i do at present?
We have your posted opinions. If you don't like the way you've portrayed yourself--and who would even fellow Brits attacked you on the matter--change your approach.

Your weak. And as for the comment as self-serving thats how i view you because the likes of you and T_W wallow in the pity of the deaths of others unconnected with yourselves, trying to coat yourselves in attention. "look at me i'm so hurt, an american died today, look at my grief". This i find as poor and shows no respect for the family of the deceased.
So in a like manner you think the endless pages of RIPs for Brits killed in battle posted by others with no connection to them on this site shows no respect for the family of the deceased?? Assh*le. I'll expect you to make the same attack next time one is posted if you aren't a hypocrite. If it's only because we're Yanks then your accusation above fails.

You've completely missed my reason for posting them.

Your an old man who the world has passed by and you don't like it because your country supports the current forces and your generation failed in the likes of Vietnam and your glorious country turned on you.
Another misfire, I spent two tours in Iraq, not Vietnam. TW could almost be my grandfather, almost, now that's insulting (sorry TW).

Even if i was a feck-wit i would still be a genius compared to an inbred fool like you.
Well having said that as a self-styled 'genius' you should know the grammar you missed using correctly are "you are" or "you're" not 'your' and i is capitalized.

Inbred, oh no, that's for English and Scottish stock in the Appalachians. Your cousins no doubt.

You are nothing, you are the hole that remains when you take your hand out of a bucket of water.
Was that the bucket I pissed before you shaved in it this morning? Sorry 'bout that, at least it'll explain your splotchy skin.

Ha Ha Ha thats better Virgil, nice to see you've responded largely without abuse.

I'll have to tighten up those posts, maybe put a bit more effort in.

I must admit that my spelling/grammer is awful when posting on here, but then are alot of posters. I have not checked all your posts,but i doubt they are all far from perfect.

Latest Threads