American army recruitment

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Swamp_Rat, Feb 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone have a link on the procedure?

Reason being I have a nephew interesting in joining up, he is not an American and not resident in the US.

I saw a thread on here recently about it but can't find the fcuker now.

Any tips would be appreciated, thanks.

2. Is he insane? May as well jump into a pit with hungry tigers, better chance of getting out alive!

3. I don't know mate.

Show me the bit where I requested your opinion.

If you can't offer anything constructive then fcuk off.

4. Wouldn't you need to at least have a green card to enlist in the US army?

5. Sgt. Star says,
    http://www.goarmy.com/ChatWithStar.do

6. Thanks for your time, and yes that's as far as I got; he would have to be legally in the US before he can apply.

What we're thinking is to get him up there on a temporary visa then drop in to the local recruiting office.

After enquiring at the US embassy here to check that that is possible. Otherwise it's shelling out a wad and wasting it. Maybe there's a system in place to filter him before he goes up there, save time and money, that's all.

You know what it's like when you're young and full of beans and really want to join the army and it don't matter what anyone says can deter you. Least of all, some c0ck coming out with 'May as well jump into a pit with hungry tigers, better chance of getting out alive!'. Probly a fuking civvy or a student and doesn't know a thing about ropes anyway heh heh n0b.

Thanks for your input anyway.

7. There are plenty of companies like bunac etc that employ youngsters as 'camp counsellors' looking after fat rich kids at their summer camps. Also loads of unis offer a year in the states as part of some courses, both options will get the lad into the states legally for a reasonable time, the rest would be up to him.

8. I wouldn't even bother. If Immigration and Customs Enforcement get a whiff of any idea that he's planning on staying longer than his (very restrictive) visa will allow or is entering the country for any purpose other than what is formally stated, he'll be on the next plane back to Heathrow and will have a b@stard of a time even trying to arrange a trip to Walt Disney World for the next few decades. He might not even get as far as the ICE people. He'll have to be interviewed in the Embassy in London, 1v1, before they'll even give him a non-immigrant visa.

Sorry to be a the bearer of bad tidings, but I think you'd be better off steering him in the direction of the British Army.

9. If DoD starts to sponsor people for military service like we did during Vietnam he would be able to enlist. Looks like that is going to happen based on the press reports.

http://www.goarmy.com/flindex.jsp

10. I like the idea of a temp work visa, then a visit to a recruiter. People lie or withhold the full truth on their visa intent all the time; I worked with a lot of visitors from the former Soviet Union [of course I would never--ever--suggest someone lie to a US public servant, even a tw@t like an ICE employee]. It just might work, but the warning by Crabtastic might give you reason for pause.

On the positive side, someone from the UK probably has the best chance at a visa to the US.

11. Thank you for your time, much appreciated.

12. And remember, if you enter the US legally, there'll be a record of when you arrived,as well as when you're supposed to return, not to mention a copy of his fingerprints on file, complete with mugshot.

13. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Where there is a will, there is a way!

14. Y'know, if I didn't know what a fine, upstanding Patriot(TM), you were,-a retired police captain, ex reserves SF MSG, 4th Dan Ninja, Space Pirate, masterful improvisational comedian and raconteur etc. etc.- I'd say that you were condoning illegal immigration. Can you really be encouraging foreign nationals to violate Federal law? Do you need a deck built and your lawn mowed or something? Surely the last thing you want is young people sneaking across the border to take jobs in the armed forces that American youth are eagerly climbing over themselves to get.

(You don't know anything about the lad in question so let me ask you a rhetorical question- how would your opinion change if he was, say for example, a British Muslim? I'm not saying it's a good or bad thing, but I'd bet my bottom dollar that such a possibility sort of changes things in your mind, no?)