America we do have real beer...

D

Deleted 24582

Oh so wrong, a proper casked and tapped ale served at the premium temperature in the right season is far more enjoyable than a freezing cold lager that has had the flavour knocked out of it. Also serving the correct ale in the correct season is preferable, for example Porters should only be served during the winter months, where as light hop brews during the spring and summer. IPA or session beers are OK for general drinking all year round and are normally a line between the 2. King and Barnes used to do a lovely winter Ale called Festive, Harveys Mild used to be only available from Oct to March.
When it is close it 37 Celsius, the last thing you will want is a room temperature beer. Hence our cold road sodas.

When it is close it 37 Celsius, the last thing you will want is a room temperature beer. Hence our cold road sodas.
Ale is not served at room temperature but should be served from 5-11 deg Cent, long way off room temp

Having Ale or any beer too cold supresses the flavour that is why mass produced filtered lagers taste of nothing because they are too cold for the palate to enjoy.

I stand corrected, I left BAOR 22 sigs in 1981.
It's quite possible the guy that told me was retelling an old Python, or an At Last the 1948 show joke, the team did recycle stuff.

Ale is not served at room temperature but should be served from 5-11 deg Cent, long way off room temp
Sometimes called Cellar Temperature

The only room temp beer I enjoyed was Doom Bar in London....rest, gave it a miss.
It isn't room temperature, read the post. You are missing out on wonderful beers and flavour variations, each brewery has their own "taste", I will omit Greene King as they have just become too big now and are not the same as they used to be. Different regions have different styles, Kent and Sussex have generally lighter hoppier beers, where as the Northern part of the UK have heavier beers with a decent head on, the South West have quite light beers, but Cornwall seems to prefer a heavier, darker beer.

A lot of the old breweries have now gone, King & Barnes and Flowers are 2 from my home area. But there are plenty of good brewers still going some of my Regional favourites are:

East Anglia: Elgoods, St Peters, Adnams, Wolf
North: Timothy Taylors, Black Sheep, Robinsons
South West: Hop Back, St Austell,
South East: Harveys, Shepard Neame
Midlands: Batemans, Everards

These are the main breweries, plenty of micro breweries out there as well

Last edited:
It isn't room temperature, read the post. You are missing out on wonderful beers and flavour variations, each brewery has there own "taste", I will omit Greene King as they have just become too big now and are not the same as they used to be. Different regions have different styles, Kent and Sussex have generally lighter hoppier beers, where as the Northern part of the UK have heavier beers with a decent head on, the South West have quite light beers, but Cornwall seems to prefer a heavier, darker beer.

A lot of the old breweries have now gone, King & Barnes and Flowers are 2 from my home area. But there are plenty of good brewers still going some of my Regional favourites are:

East Anglia: Elgoods, St Peters, Adnams, Wolf
North: Timothy Taylors, Black Sheep, Robinsons
South West: Hop Back, St Austell,
South East: Harveys, Shepard Neame
Midlands: Batemans, Everards

These are the main breweries, plenty of micro breweries out there as well
I like my lighter ones - just a personal preference.

I like my lighter ones - just a personal preference.
Try a Porter, which is a dark winter Ale stronger ABV than session Ales and has a deeper flavour, almost spicy in some of them. Fullers London Porter is a good one to start with.

Quite true about St. Augustine being founded by the Spanish;
Some more on the St.Augustine story, which puts a different light on the 'facts' as portrayed in the earlier Smithsonian article I'd cited.

'La Trinité set sail for what is now Florida in 1565—a full half-century before pilgrims landed on Plymouth Rock—leading a fleet of six other ships and guided by Captain Jean Ribault, who operated under the order of King Charles IX of France. The fleet was packed with munitions, gold, silver, supplies, livestock, and nearly 1,000 soldiers, seamen, and French Huguenot colonists—Protestants seeking religious freedom. The goal was to replenish France’s Fort Caroline, on the northeast coast of Florida, and grab a foothold in America—much of which Spain had already claimed. Within weeks of the fleet’s departure, the Spanish king sent his own captain, Pedro Menéndez de Avilés, along with five Spanish ships, to intercept the French. He ordered Menéndez to drive out the French with “fire and blood.”

'The French arrived before the Spanish could catch up, but La Trinité and three of the other French ships were wrecked in a storm. Emboldened, Menéndez led his men on a march through swampy wetlands to launch a surprise attack on Fort Caroline. Over 100 French perished. Not long after, hundreds more who refused to convert to Catholicism fell to the sword of Menéndez, in an attack so brutal that the area is still called Matanzas (Slaughter) Inlet. Menéndez founded Saint Augustine, today the oldest city in the United States. Spain now definitively controlled a huge chunk of the country—La Florida, which contained present-day Florida plus parts of Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, and southeastern Louisiana. The Spanish almost immediately began building new forts up and down the coast, as far north as the Carolinas.'

I agree. It's taken you nigh on three hundred and thirty odd years to see what you have been missing. Some of your hop varieties are superb.
NB. you still serve some beers far too cold.
Some of you apparently like beer warm like straight from the horses cock

@Goldbricker,

From Kentucky in the US of A. :p

You were saying?
I've drunk my share of horse piss beer in my time, but this is the first I ever knew that there actually is a beer called Horse Piss. Thanks! That made me laff. :-D :p

Horse Piss Beer -3.jpg

Latest Threads