America we do have real beer...

I found a bar in Flagstaff that was also a micro brewery, some really nice stuff was being produced and it was lovely after weeks of Bud or Coors.
But then again, I suspect your own urine would be nectar 'after weeks of Bud or Coors'.

D

Deleted 24582

I know about the driving, hence my “!”. That 150 miles could, at the wrong time of the day, take about five hours (one way). I once stayed with my BiL in Vancouver and we went out for some beer. He likes his beer, so we went to a liquor store, a thing in BC. There and back with the beer buying took about three hours.
I don’t think what you paid seems bad. The bit that would freak most of us U.K. lifeforms is the tipping of servers and stuff like that.
It is a cultural difference, but If you ever get shit service the tip is reflected. It is just an incentive to not suck at life.

I agree. It's taken you nigh on three hundred and thirty odd years to see what you have been missing. Some of your hop varieties are superb.
NB. you still serve some beers far too cold.
The majority of it is lager type stuff so needs to be cold. Although I agree, not that bloody cold.
Mind you, have you ever tried to drink some of the stuff when it's lost its Arctic temperature?
No wonder it's drunk that cold to take the God awful taste away. Shame as a lot their beer is quite strong compared to ours.

How do you rate that stuff in your avatar? Brown ale / Newkie broon / Brown dog / lunatic's broth / jorney into space?
Well as a yoof, I did enjoy necking the Dog ie. “am teking the dog for a waalk” as the the old pitmen used to say. IMHO It has been modified over the years to suit the modern way of profit over quality. ABV 4.7% and many don’t rate it now. Years ago my old man said it was over 6%.

It had a reputation for making sensible men fight at the drop of a hat. There was also a legend of a ’Brown Ale’ ward in the main hospital in Newcastle where all the aficionado’s of Dog would end up after being driven loopy after a hard session drinking it. Never really confirmed it or spoke to anyone who actually worked on the said ward. However It’s the only beer that made me a bit leery.

My last encounter with it was in 1993 where I got the Brown Ale spins after an all day and nighter on it. I was bolloxed for 3 days after and vowed never to touch it again.
*Edit -sausage fingers

Don’t go to ‘Spoons.
I think we've had this discussion before. I live in a reasonable sized town with 5 pubs (used to be 6 but 1 shut) all inside a 5 minute walk.

Of those, the one place I can guarantee will not have shit loud music, TVs blaring, overpriced beer, someone looking for a fight or vomit all over the bogs is Spoons. The beer is relatively cheap and well looked after, the staff are nice, the bogs are clean and almost all the punters are polite.

The few times I've seen aggro in there over the last decade were a domestic argument that they carried on in the pub, a very drunk chav picking a fight with a biker and some drugged up cunt upset that his normal boozer across the road was shut for refurbishment. Said individual communicated his displeasure by nutting a fruit machine and proceeding to kick and scream as several coppers physically removed him.

I wouldn't go in there after 8pm on a Friday or Saturday as it's standing room only and getting served takes 20 minutes. No idea what Wetherspoons are like in the rest of the country but my local one is quite pleasant.

The U.S. right now has one of best beer scenes, crafted. Despite all the misconceptions. So many microbreweries cropped over the last decade.

The majority of it is lager type stuff so needs to be cold. Although I agree, not that bloody cold.
Mind you, have you ever tried to drink some of the stuff when it's lost its Arctic temperature?
No wonder it's drunk that cold to take the God awful taste away. Shame as a lot their beer is quite strong compared to ours.
I think a lot of that comes from American brewing heritage. Most beer brewed in the USA was from European immigrants, especially German (Earlier immigrants from Britain had a tradition of smaller, home (or farm) brewing).
Most of the bigger brewers had a lager brewing background. They would also brew other styles, like ales, porters and seasonal beers, but these gradually fell by the wayside. Just like the U.K., a series of takeovers and consolidation let to conglomerates brewing fewer brands yet focusing on advertising and distribution. They still do it now.

The USA does have some very good beer, but you have to steer clear of the Anheuser-Busch, Miller, Blatz, Schlitz megaswill. I'm indifferent to the stuff that Samuel Adams brews, but I was quite pleased with Anchor Steam Beer that comes from San Francisco, Yuengling is a really nice thirst-quenching beer, and Brooklyn Lager makes a nice session beer.

But if you're wanting to get smashed on a limited budget, Genessee Cream Ale at about $8 for 24, or Red White and Blue for $3 a dozen is what you look at. That stuff is not for pleasing your palate. It's solely time travel tonic as you wake up the next day under your empties and the cold sensation of a double-legger.

I am going to do the Brewdog dogtap & dogwalk tour tomorrow with my youngest son 12;00 at Ellon could be a good day

I found a bar in Flagstaff that was also a micro brewery, some really nice stuff was being produced and it was lovely after weeks of Bud or Coors.
I believe I may have visited it a couple of times (I like Flagstaff). Genuinely excellent set of ales in the two or three I've seen. Flagstaff is stiff with such establishments:
Clipboard01s.jpg

It's solely time travel tonic as you wake up the next day under your empties and the cold sensation of a double-legger.
I'm nicking that. Not quite as amusing as the various names for Buckie but still good.

I think we've had this discussion before. I live in a reasonable sized town with 5 pubs (used to be 6 but 1 shut) all inside a 5 minute walk.

Of those, the one place I can guarantee will not have shit loud music, TVs blaring, overpriced beer, someone looking for a fight or vomit all over the bogs is Spoons. The beer is relatively cheap and well looked after, the staff are nice, the bogs are clean and almost all the punters are polite.

The few times I've seen aggro in there over the last decade were a domestic argument that they carried on in the pub, a very drunk chav picking a fight with a biker and some drugged up **** upset that his normal boozer across the road was shut for refurbishment. Said individual communicated his displeasure by nutting a fruit machine and proceeding to kick and scream as several coppers physically removed him.

I wouldn't go in there after 8pm on a Friday or Saturday as it's standing room only and getting served takes 20 minutes. No idea what Wetherspoons are like in the rest of the country but my local one is quite pleasant.
In the true spirit of ‘Spooners everywhere, I’m sure we have had this conversation too. The one beer that ‘Spoons used to do that I would enter for, and they seem to have discontinued (story of my life), was Tuborg green.
The lack of decent drinking options in your location disappointing for anyone, and a good spread of those is a major factor in my next move.

Here is another beer I would highly recommend, fantastic served cold in a sunny bier garten but over do it and it’s rivers of arrse gravy the next day!
1576360322621.jpeg

I believe I may have visited it a couple of times (I like Flagstaff). Genuinely excellent set of ales in the two or three I've seen. Flagstaff is stiff with such establishments:
View attachment 437014
Love the place.
A good mate used used to run both the hostel and motel in that screenshot.
I like that if you go when the UNI is on break, its a sleepy little backwater. But then it gets invaded by nineteen thousand students and becomes party central.
Insane.

D

Deleted 24582

The USA does have some very good beer, but you have to steer clear of the Anheuser-Busch, Miller, Blatz, Schlitz megaswill. I'm indifferent to the stuff that Samuel Adams brews, but I was quite pleased with Anchor Steam Beer that comes from San Francisco, Yuengling is a really nice thirst-quenching beer, and Brooklyn Lager makes a nice session beer.

But if you're wanting to get smashed on a limited budget, Genessee Cream Ale at about $8 for 24, or Red White and Blue for $3 a dozen is what you look at. That stuff is not for pleasing your palate. It's solely time travel tonic as you wake up the next day under your empties and the cold sensation of a double-legger.
Keystone Light aka the “dirty thirty”. Great for Beer Pong and bad choices.

Latest Threads