America to stop funding the World Health Organisation

exsniffer

Old-Salt
The Donald has announced that the US is to withdraw funding to the WHO due to their alleged misreporting the development of Covid 19. The article below describes this

It seems that the WHO is as much use as any other UN organisation

The question now is, who if anyone will follow suit?

Good stuff by the Donald. The WHO have completely lost sight of what they were supposed to be about: genuine public health issues like infectious diseases etc. Even as a genuine epidemic has been sweeping the world the WHO has been babbling on about vaping and how bad it is. They ceased to be about genuine health years ago.

If they want to climb up on a soapbox and hector people about sugar "epidemics", obesity "epidemics", smoking/vaping "epidemics", or whatever other anti "big" business is their current obsession du jour, fine, let them, but let them do it on their own dime, and not taxpayer cash.

This is an organisation that has warned governments against dealing with tobacco companies who might be able to help develop a COVID vaccine ...

How far down the ideological rabbit hole do you have to be to take this attitude?

Ireland has chosen to quadruple their contribution in response. Of course, it's still peanuts compared to the US

From your link:
"Simon Coveney, the Irish deputy prime minister, said on Thursday that his country would donate €9.5m (£8.3m) to the WHO this year to aid its Covid-19 response.

Commenting on the importance of the UN’s health agency, he said that “so many countries rely on UN expertise and capacity to save lives.”
A performance to make any serpent envious.

triggerigger

War Hero
So far Nobody has managed to say thanks to America for all the previous hundreds of millions of $$$.
History repeats.
Thanks.

exsniffer

Old-Salt
Donald is a dick , he has been waiting to have a pop at WHO so that he can assert more influence on them . the ponce
Did you read the article showing that the WHO believed the Chinese authorities about human to human transmission in January without checking the evidence ?

Last edited:

exsniffer

Old-Salt
Factual link please? (independent of the President's claims to that effect)
As requested

And here is Reuters that is not behind a paywall

Neither source relies on the President's claims

Last edited:
As requested

And here is Reuters that is not behind a paywall

Neither source relies on the President's claims
Many thanks. But your allegation wasn't that the WHO failed to act quickly enough on the possibility of human-to-human transmission; no doubt there will be plenty such issues to sort out in the eventual post mortem at international and national levels; your allegation was specifically that the WHO lied.

I haven't read your FT link because I'm not paying for it. I did read your Reuters link, which doesn't show that the WHO lied, rather that the WHO failed to reply to an alleged email which Taiwan say they sent, but the WHO deny that any email from Taiwan mentioned human-to-human transmission. If it turns out that the WHO did ignore or overlook an email, that still isn't the same as lying.

As far as I can tell, the WHO did tweet in January that “preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission”. We now know that was wrong, but it isn't actually the same as the WHO lying. Even their statement on Jan 12 that there was "no clear evidence of transmission" isn't lying either.

The Guardian says that in the same week as the tweet, top WHO officials were briefing health leaders around the world to keep looking out for signs of such transmission, and to take precautions as if it was already happening.

Did the WHO show too much deference to the PRC? I would say yes, but it also shows deference to the United States, for obvious reasons. While the WHO's actions or failures to act must absolutely form part of the subsequent investigation, I suggest this is not the time to cancel funding, and the present crisis is certainly not the time for fake or exaggerated allegations.

Last edited:
Many thanks. But your allegation wasn't that the WHO failed to act quickly enough on the possibility of human-to-human transmission; no doubt there will be plenty such issues to sort out in the eventual post mortem at international and national levels; your allegation was specifically that the WHO lied.

I haven't read your FT link because I'm not paying for it. I did read your Reuters link, which doesn't show that the WHO lied, rather that the WHO failed to reply to an alleged email which Taiwan say they sent, but the WHO deny that any email from Taiwan mentioned human-to-human transmission. If it turns out that the WHO did ignore or overlook an email, that still isn't the same as lying.

As far as I can tell, the WHO did tweet in January that “preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission”. We now know that was wrong, but it isn't actually the same as the WHO lying.

The Guardian says that in the same week top WHO officials were briefing health leaders around the world to keep looking out for signs of such transmission, and to take precautions as if it was already happening.

Did the WHO show too much deference to the PRC? I would say yes, but it also shows deference to the United States, for obvious reasons. While the WHO's actions or failures to act must absolutely form part of the subsequent investigation, I suggest this is not the time to cancel funding, and the present crisis is certainly not the time for fake or exaggerated allegations.
But do your suggestions actually pay the bills?

The Donald has announced that the US is to withdraw funding to the WHO due to their alleged misreporting the development of Covid 19...
Is this the same Donald that dismissed Covid 19 as a hoax?

But do your suggestions actually pay the bills?
Are you saying that Trump lied about the reason for withdrawing funding, and that it has nothing to do with his alleged mismanagement/claims of lies by the WHO but is just about needing to keep the money to pay America’s bills?

Yokel

LE
Good stuff by the Donald. The WHO have completely lost sight of what they were supposed to be about: genuine public health issues like infectious diseases etc. Even as a genuine epidemic has been sweeping the world the WHO has been babbling on about vaping and how bad it is. They ceased to be about genuine health years ago.

If they want to climb up on a soapbox and hector people about sugar "epidemics", obesity "epidemics", smoking/vaping "epidemics", or whatever other anti "big" business is their current obsession du jour, fine, let them, but let them do it on their own dime, and not taxpayer cash.

This is an organisation that has warned governments against dealing with tobacco companies who might be able to help develop a COVID vaccine ...

How far down the ideological rabbit hole do you have to be to take this attitude?
COVID-19 has a mortality rate of circa 5%. Smoking has a mortality rate of circa 50%. Maybe they have a point?

The epidemic of Obesity and Diabetes is also real.

I fear Trump's move will provide an opportunity for Beijing and Moscow to pretend that they are the good guys. Xi and Putin are masters of disinformation.

Last edited:

Latest Threads