America, The liberator of the Iraqi people

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by error_unknown, Oct 12, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. US soldiers driving bulldozers, with jazz blaring from loudspeakers, have uprooted ancient groves of date palms, some 70 years old, as well as orange and lemon trees at Dhuluaya, a small town 50 miles north of Baghdad as part of a new policy of collective punishment of farmers who do not give information about guerrillas attacking US troops.

Other farmers said that US troops had told them, over a loudspeaker in Arabic, that the fruit groves were being bulldozed to punish the farmers for not informing on the resistance which is very active in this Sunni Muslim district.

"They made a sort of joke against us by playing jazz music while they were cutting down the trees," said one man. Ambushes of US troops have taken place around Dhuluaya. But Sheikh Hussein Ali Saleh al-Jabouri, a member of a delegation that went to the nearby US base to ask for compensation for the loss of the fruit trees, said American officers described what had happened as "a punishment of local people because 'you know who is in the resistance and do not tell us'." What the Israelis had done by way of collective punishment of Palestinians was now happening in Iraq, Sheikh Hussein added.

Farmers say that 50 families lost their livelihoods, but a petition addressed to the coalition forces in Dhuluaya pleading in erratic English for compensation, lists only 32 people. The petition says: "Tens of poor families depend completely on earning their life on these orchards and now they became very poor and have nothing and waiting for hunger and death."

The children of one woman who owned some fruit trees lay down in front of a bulldozer but were dragged away, according to eyewitnesses who did not want to give their names. They said that one American soldier broke down and cried during the operation. When a reporter from the newspaper Iraq Today attempted to take a photograph of the bulldozers at work a soldier grabbed his camera and tried to smash it. The same paper quotes Lt Col Springman, a US commander in the region, as saying: "We asked the farmers several times to stop the attacks, or to tell us who was responsible, but the farmers didn't tell us."

Informing US troops about the identity of their attackers would be extremely dangerous in Iraqi villages, where most people are related and everyone knows each other. The farmers who lost their fruit trees all belong to the Khazraji tribe and are unlikely to give information about fellow tribesmen if they are, in fact, attacking US troops.

Asked how much his lost orchard was worth, Nusayef Jassim said in a distraught voice: "It is as if someone cut off my hands and you asked me how much my hands were worth."
  2. And your point is?

This is a second hand quote from an Iraqi journal, published by a news source not noted for it's sympathy with the Spams, (or any one else in green).

Maybe it's true, maybe it isn't. Personally I don't give a sh*t.

This isn't GIJargon, nobodys going to get wound up about it. Try posting something interesting/amusing for a change, this is getting boring. :roll:
  3. Actually I give a shit. If we start acting like the bloody Isreali's we will still be in Iraq in 50 years time.

Bloody americans (if true)

4. Fuuk off, 50 years! We bumming out in 3 years, whether we have destroyed there country or not, God Bless America!

I am sure he would miss his hands more than some trees.
  5. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

BB - what a load of Boll@cks. Try finding out what is really going on for a change, before quoting anti-American crap. The anti-American press are, of course, massing in Sunni areas, and as usual will believe and print anything - shades of Robert Fisk here.
    Funnily enough, where I am there has never been - ever - an attack against the Coalition Forces - and that's true across massive areas of Iraq. What attacks there are elsewhere are 9 times out of 10 caused by crooks caught in the act (Saddam kindly emptied the prisons shortly before running away). Even in Baghdad I bet that the suicide bombers aren't Iraqis at all (They are far too pragmatic to do something that stupid, as well as being against their Religion).

People where the Yanks are hate them - they had everything, now they have nothing. Imagine Ulster, with the Yanks coming in and taking everything from the Loyalists and giving it to the Republicans - that's what's happened here. Elsewhere, and this is most of the country, people genuinely like the Yanks, Brits, Poles, Italians, etc. I know it will break some left-wing hearts, but it's true - these people LIKE Americans :D

In Baghdad, they were used to having electricity 24 hours a day, and are now complaining about power cuts. Here, in our city, we have the second biggest power station in Iraq - but in Saddam's time the power went straight to Baghdad, and we had power for 3 hours a day. Who'se happy now? Also, their men don't keep getting dragged off in the night to be murdered anymore. This sort of thing tends to make people judge you more kindly than the Guardian would like...

Rant over. Sorryto have bitten, but the Press sometimes really, really gets on my tits...
  6. Well said there OldSnowy.[​IMG]
  7. Just to clarify some points here Snowy, so that there can be absolutely NO misunderstandings, could you tell us the following. Please keep all of the answers as simple as possible to avoid any misinterpretation.

1. What do you do for a living ? (Nothing specific, "SOLDIER" will do)

2. Where exactly (as in which country) are you at the moment?

3. Would you say that the answers to questions 1 & 2 give you more authority than certain "misinformed" types to comment on the current situation?

And I bet you that it STILL doesn't sink in.
  8. Wots that then?
  9. Let's get this straight, if it's true, and only if, you are saying that it's anti-american crap?
  10. Iraq contains some of the most significant archeological sites in the WORLD. Problem is, the buildings in ancient Iraq were built essentially from mud, and over a protracted period of time, they revert to what they used to be before someone transformed the mud into buildings. Which makes it damned difficult to date what you find... aside from carefully studying how deeply buried it is, and where other items (like coins) were found relative to what you're looking at.

SO the USAF deciding to put a damned great truck park and helicopter landing pad right in the middle of a very significant archeological site by levelling it with bulldozers, hauling away soil to make fortifications, and then spraying the area with plastic to keep the dust down remains one of the greatest acts of sheer wanton vandalism ever seen: certainly up there with the Afghans destroying the Buddhas.

And the standard whine of "Anti-Americanism" sounds increasingly like Ali G's "Is it because I is BLACK?"
  11. 8 years?? really
  12. HHH

HHH LE

How did you find this thread,what were you looking for even???
  13. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

Being pedantic its only seven and a half. Still WAY out of date though ;)
  14. To be fair, Ron is talking about archaeology...
    • Like Like x 1
  15. n case you hadn't noticed (and if you HAD noticed, your question is distinctly odd) ARRSE ends each page with a section labelled "Similar Threads". In fact, right at the bottom of THIS page are a number of "similar threads" where the last posts range in date from 2003 to 2005. On the other hand, on the right hand side of the page, you'll find a listing of "recent posts". This thread is now listed in THAT column. This means that if a member finds a long-forgotten topic listed at the bottom of a page to beinteresting, then by posting he brings it to general attention, and it may revive. The puzzling aspect is the number of people who crawl out of the woodwork demanding to know how and why a topic is still being discussed - as if they feel that they OWN it, and permission is required. As far as I'm aware... it AIN'T required.