America - its all a bit odd...

So heart breaking trying to convince myself it was June. So much meat on the hoof...
D0594729-489E-4C68-A4C9-321B6A351A36.jpeg

I came across a new(to me) phrase today, so a cultural question for anyone who knows please?

What the deuce is a ' Blue-Dog Democrat' ? :scratch:
I had never heard the term before either, but Wiki says they are a collection of Democrats who identify as centrist and/or conservative.

The Blue Dog Coalition was formed in 1995[14][15][16] during the 104th Congress to give members from the Democratic Party representing conservative-leaning districts a unified voice after the Democrats' loss of Congress in the 1994 Republican Revolution.[17]

The term "Blue Dog Democrat" is credited to Texas Democratic representative Pete Geren (who later joined the Bush Administration). Geren opined that the members had been "choked blue" by Democrats on the left.[18] It is related to the political term "Yellow Dog Democrat", a reference to Southern Democrats said to be 'so loyal they would even vote for a yellow dog before they would vote for any Republican'. The term also refers to the "Blue Dog" paintings of Cajun artist George Rodrigue of Lafayette, Louisiana as the original members of the coalition would regularly meet in the offices of Louisiana representatives Billy Tauzin and Jimmy Hayes, both of whom later joined the Republican Party – both also had Rodrigue's paintings on their walls.[19][20] An additional explanation for the term cited by members is "when dogs are not let into the house, they stay outside in the cold and turn blue", a reference to the Blue Dogs' belief they had been left out of a party that they believed had shifted to the political left.[21]

At one time, first-term Blue Dogs were nicknamed 'Blue Pups'.
[19]

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
thanks Chief :)

I had never heard the term before either, but Wiki says they are a collection of Democrats who identify as centrist and/or conservative.

The Blue Dog Coalition was formed in 1995[14][15][16] during the 104th Congress to give members from the Democratic Party representing conservative-leaning districts a unified voice after the Democrats' loss of Congress in the 1994 Republican Revolution.[17]

The term "Blue Dog Democrat" is credited to Texas Democratic representative Pete Geren (who later joined the Bush Administration). Geren opined that the members had been "choked blue" by Democrats on the left.[18] It is related to the political term "Yellow Dog Democrat", a reference to Southern Democrats said to be 'so loyal they would even vote for a yellow dog before they would vote for any Republican'. The term also refers to the "Blue Dog" paintings of Cajun artist George Rodrigue of Lafayette, Louisiana as the original members of the coalition would regularly meet in the offices of Louisiana representatives Billy Tauzin and Jimmy Hayes, both of whom later joined the Republican Party – both also had Rodrigue's paintings on their walls.[19][20] An additional explanation for the term cited by members is "when dogs are not let into the house, they stay outside in the cold and turn blue", a reference to the Blue Dogs' belief they had been left out of a party that they believed had shifted to the political left.[21]

At one time, first-term Blue Dogs were nicknamed 'Blue Pups'.
[19]
...it's all a bit odd right enough.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Good look - death to the French!

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Says the Chubster...
Yeah, but she has coloured her hair in a non natural colour, which makes her fun to be around and interesting..............apparently!

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Appreciate the guidance.....I didn't bother clicking on it.....life is too short.

That said I have spent an engaging wasted10 pointless minutes learning all about ' Zwart Piet' today so......

Any Cloggies aboard?

Hmmmm.

It would be interesting to read more about this "cold" that has killed the best part of four million people.

tgo

LE
Yeah, but she has coloured her hair in a non natural colour, which makes her fun to be around and interesting..............apparently!
I like how the woke have become very thoughtful in aiding easy identification, bit like in nature, things that are dangerous are yellow and red, in this case anything with blue/green hair - avoid, it'll be woke.
You won't go far wrong.

Hmmmm.

It would be interesting to read more about this "cold" that has killed the best part of four million people.
It hasn't - the figures are skewed, people that were run over a bus and tested positive for covid had their deaths recorded as covid. People that died from underlying illnesses were also marked down as covid deaths.
Covid is the biggest con in history.

Latest Threads