Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

America - its all a bit odd...

Ayatollah

Old-Salt
It wouldn't really be helpful if the insurance companies start going broke, so you have probably hit the nail on the head.

So if the Insurance companies can't or won't pony up then the State needs to anti up and if the can't or won't then it needs to go to Washington D.C. and the President makes the decision for them and puts his VP in charge of it all :twisted:

Either way these people are going to need help putting this all back together be it damage or rebuilding, they've paid their taxes, now someone needs to step up and do right by them.
Insurance companies always win, if need be they will borrow the money and raise rates so in the end, the consumer will pay.
The last thing we need is Biden / Harris running things, you only have to look back to when they took office to see how they would manage to control the Insurance industry, They would probably nationalize it, then you'll be well and truly screwed.

Ayatollah

Old-Salt
Winter in the UK meant going to bed with 2 pairs of pyjamas on and every available coat used as a blanket, No double glazing ice on both sides of the window, and trudging through ice and snow in short pants and wellies.
The problem nowadays is people have it too easy and can't think of basic survival. Rather than playing computer games and other idle things they should be taught what's needed and how to incorporate them into everyday life.

I would hope that utility companies have a common sense moment and revert to normal billing. But it doesn’t do the Texans any favors...

At this rate we will be donating to @Effendi...

......................send money..................desperate........................hanging on by a thread....................champagne all gone, no ice left, had to eat all the filet steaks.

In all seriousness it is still farking dire here for some folks. Depending on who you believe there are either 165,000, or several million without water, still a fair few without power from last tuesday.

I ventured into a couple of supermarkets the other day when I went out for an architectural ruler from Staples. I only went in to have a look to see if what the reports were saying was true, the reports were not lying. Shelves have been stripped of fresh fruit and veg, most meat fridges were empty as were the freezer cabinets. One thing that struck me was that the ice cream cabinets had been emptied.............who, .... the fark, ... needs ice cream, .... in a severe weather freeze situation.

Plumbers are still apparently running around trying to fix a back log of work that has been piling up since last tuesday. Then just to make it interesting some clever b'startds have been into Home Depot, Lowes and the wholesalers and bought up most of the fittings. Presumably so that they are the only kid on the block with parts to do the work so that they can charge what they want.

To give you an idea of the costs: When we were renting a couple of years ago we had a leak that the landlord had to pay for. Simple leak, no big deal, cut out a section and replace, seriously a quickie, drain the hot water tank for half an hour and whang in the new section - remembering I am a plumbist. The monkey that the landlord got in charged him $1300 for the job. You think plumbers are expensive in the UK, well you should try the US. As another example; the wifes training manager texted to say he had a pipe blown last friday night. I offered to go over to fix the problem for him, but he is in rented and told me not to bother as it is his landlords problem. The plumbers monkey turned up the next day and the landlord was out of pocket almost $2000.

Understand that when I say plumbers monkey I mean just that. Over here you have to have four years experinece, pass an exam and have a State licence to run a plumbing business. What the licenced bloke does is he lets others work under his licence number (and insurance) for a %, or a fixed weekly fee. As a % I know they want 40% of what the monkey charges around here, and as a fixed fee I have heard anything up to $1500 a week. Its the same with sparkys, and air con engineers too.

Anyway, Texarrse is still in it up about its chest at the moment and hoping that Federal aid money will bail it out. The estimated cost of the last week to Texarrse is $18bn.

endure

GCM
Winter in the UK meant going to bed with 2 pairs of pyjamas on and every available coat used as a blanket, No double glazing ice on both sides of the window, and trudging through ice and snow in short pants and wellies.
The problem nowadays is people have it too easy and can't think of basic survival. Rather than playing computer games and other idle things they should be taught what's needed and how to incorporate them into everyday life.
The problem nowadays is that the people who grew up 50 years ago either don't seem or are unwilling to accept that the world today is not the same as it was 50 years ago - and I speak as someone who grew up 50 years ago...

It wouldn't really be helpful if the insurance companies start going broke, so you have probably hit the nail on the head.

So if the Insurance companies can't or won't pony up then the State needs to anti up and if the can't or won't then it needs to go to Washington D.C. and the President makes the decision for them and puts his VP in charge of it all :twisted:

Either way these people are going to need help putting this all back together be it damage or rebuilding, they've paid their taxes, now someone needs to step up and do right by them.
I suspect the US federal government will be bailing out loads of people in Texas the same as they do whenever there is a hurricane.

Oh? You had windows? Luxury.
We had to make do with last month’s newspaper with a smear of chip fat .

[Yorkie accent] Noooospapers,....luukshury lad. We 'ad t'use army issue toilet paper stuck t'gether with drippin from't chippy [/Yorkie accent]

I suspect the US federal government will be bailing out loads of people in Texas the same as they do whenever there is a hurricane.

There is already talk of where FEMA money is going.

(...) One thing that struck me was that the ice cream cabinets had been emptied.............who, .... the fark, ... needs ice cream, .... in a severe weather freeze situation.
In one of the stories in Canada on the situation there they had a photo of a woman salvaging cartons of ice cream from a dumpster. When the power went out a lot of grocery stores threw out all their ice cream. In the photo there was an entire dumpster full of ice cream. A lot of it was probably still just fine at that time.

Plumbers are still apparently running around trying to fix a back log of work that has been piling up since last tuesday. Then just to make it interesting some clever b'startds have been into Home Depot, Lowes and the wholesalers and bought up most of the fittings. Presumably so that they are the only kid on the block with parts to do the work so that they can charge what they want.

To give you an idea of the costs: When we were renting a couple of years ago we had a leak that the landlord had to pay for. Simple leak, no big deal, cut out a section and replace, seriously a quickie, drain the hot water tank for half an hour and whang in the new section - remembering I am a plumbist. The monkey that the landlord got in charged him $1300 for the job. You think plumbers are expensive in the UK, well you should try the US. As another example; the wifes training manager texted to say he had a pipe blown last friday night. I offered to go over to fix the problem for him, but he is in rented and told me not to bother as it is his landlords problem. The plumbers monkey turned up the next day and the landlord was out of pocket almost $2000.

Understand that when I say plumbers monkey I mean just that. Over here you have to have four years experinece, pass an exam and have a State licence to run a plumbing business. What the licenced bloke does is he lets others work under his licence number (and insurance) for a %, or a fixed weekly fee. As a % I know they want 40% of what the monkey charges around here, and as a fixed fee I have heard anything up to $1500 a week. Its the same with sparkys, and air con engineers too.

Anyway, Texarrse is still in it up about its chest at the moment and hoping that Federal aid money will bail it out. The estimated cost of the last week to Texarrse is $18bn.
In one of the stories that I read today plumbers were charging a minimum of $1000 to replace a piece of cracked copper pipe under a sink with a piece of plastic pipe. They were doing call after call, and there was a waiting list for them.

The story also said the state was removing licensing requirements for plumbers to let anyone do the work temporarily. I don't know if there will be any restrictions on that, but it sounded like anyone who knows how to use a hacksaw will be able to fix pipes for the next while.

In one of the stories in Canada on the situation there they had a photo of a woman salvaging cartons of ice cream from a dumpster. When the power went out a lot of grocery stores threw out all their ice cream. In the photo there was an entire dumpster full of ice cream. A lot of it was probably still just fine at that time.

That will have been a red neck relative of @Kirkz

I asked you some tough questions ABN. Biden is only doing what his progressive base is commanding him to do. Rational people don't let the zealots take control, nor do they condone what is going on. So in that regard we are not going to change each other's minds. However you will die on the Biden Hill trying to defend the stupidity to the bitter end and I know that. But chill brother and enjoy the Friday afternoon.

There's always Liberia.

...they've paid their taxes, now someone needs to step up and do right by them.

Silly twisted child. That money is to fund offshore bank accounts and a luxury lifestyle.

Ah, OK. I see it's a country where spending on infrastructure and maintenance still happens. My bad.

endure

GCM
No Xbox, iced coffee, or micro brews for you.
Gaming PC, iced coffee is for jessies and red wine... ;-)

BTW I love the modern world. No more ice on the inside of my bedroom window, the world's knowledge at my fingertips, opportunities that the 18 year old me would find unbelievable.

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
<sigh>

Yes, I also remember ice on the inside of my bedroom window.....and newspaper ( pause for compulsory ' Eeeh-LUXURY' ) stuffed into the ventilation at the top of the window.....and a solid fuel boiler to heat the water.....but my Mum couldn't believe the house she still lives in was actually hers when she walked up to it with three kids from the railways station 2 miles away. Are we done with post-war UK poverty tales yet ?

For Brits who are still scratching their heads over ' America? Whut ?' Rich Hall has been doing his wry acerbic best to decrypt the place for us pore foreigners for the last thirty years.

I don't know if his stuff goes out Over Yonder ?

Here's his take on 'Working for the American Dream '

Interesting hypothesis that cotton has been the foundation of much of the USA's problems....

He don't have much to say for Nawtherners, being a Carolingian....

For those who just cain't be doing with anything that happened before 2016 - fast forward to 1:06:25

He takes a look at Lancaster Ohio, home of the Anchor-Hocking glassware company, now deep in the rustbelt - which voted 78% for Donald Trump...and asks why ?

His answer: '....not because they WANTED to - because they are desperate.....'

'And now its Winter in America.....'

I like Rich for his robust attitude to corporate double speak bullsh1t - and because he has a knack for deconstructing some of the cosy myths that Americans ( and Brits) like to insulate themselves from reality with.

Last edited:

offog

LE
The last thing we need is Biden / Harris running things, you only have to look back to when they took office to see how they would manage to control the Insurance industry, They would probably nationalize it, then you'll be well and truly screwed.
History would disagree with you and insurance companies are all about history.

Last week, though, she emerged with a prize and a little vindication. Ms. Harris, already a rising Democratic star and a potential candidate for governor, announced that California would receive by far the largest share of the benefits in the deal, which is expected to climb beyond the $26 billion in the initial announcement.
The last think the insurance companies would want would be Harris getting involved in pay outs.

Latest Threads