Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

America - its all a bit odd...

While there's a whole thread on India, and we make jokes about Austria and Belgium, back in the USA ...

'With her long wavy hair and charming smile, 20-year-old Colleen Stan knew she'd have no problems hitching a lift to her mate's birthday. And when a smiling a young couple with a baby pulled over to pick her up, she thought she'd struck lucky.

'Yet terrifyingly, instead of dropping her off at the party, the couple drove back 300 miles to their remote home in Red Bluff, California, where Cameron Hooker, 23, and his wife Janice locked her in a coffin-like box. The monsters kept her there, under the couple’s bed, for 23 hours a day – only letting her out when they decided they wanted to rape or torture her. She was beaten, electrocuted and even stretched on a rack by sadist Hooker, who made her sign a “slave” contract and threatened to kill her and her family if she escaped.'

Goes to show how a victim can be mentally (and physically) broken into compliance.
Sounds like a Criminal Minds episode.

Watching The Trump Show on BBC2 now - the level of brainwashed f*ckwittery is just mind boggling. How can a 'mature' democracy allow this sh*t to happen?

My wife is USA born - now naturalised Brit - and she is ashamed of her birth country.

How do they have the nerve to try to tell other countries that their elections are not fair?

Leaders of the free world - my arse.

What's the minimum wage for primates? I guess you could ask someone form Hartlepool.

'Target in the US will no longer sell coconut milk made by the Thai company Chaokoh after an investigation alleged the drink is tied to forced monkey labour, the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) announced on Monday.

“By dropping Chaokoh, Target is joining thousands of stores that refuse to profit from chained monkeys’ misery,” PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman wrote in a statement, the New York Post reports.

“PETA exposés have confirmed that Thai coconut producers are exploiting monkeys and lying about it, so there’s no excuse for any grocery store to keep Chaokoh on its shelves.”

'PETA has been lobbying major grocery chains to stop selling Chaokoh and so far, more than 26,000 US stores, including Wegmans, Costco, Food Lion, Stop & Shop and now Target, have agreed to cut ties with the brand.'

Target US pulls coconut milk allegedly made with forced monkey labour (news.com.au)

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
I see that Walmart are trialling self-service checkouts at a store in Arkansas and that customer's reactions have ranged between pure shock and the end of the World! America is, indeed, all a bit odd...

ABNredleg

War Hero
I see that Walmart are trialling self-service checkouts at a store in Arkansas and that customer's reactions have ranged between pure shock and the end of the World! America is, indeed, all a bit odd...
The Walmart in our area has used self-checkout for several years and, based on my observations, people seem to be using them. They’re very common in the US, particularly in grocery stores, and have been for years.

3 neighbours shot dead in a dispute over shoveling snow.

Maybe the shoveling wasn't very polite.

How this could occur would mystify the Germans who are legally obliged to clear snow, do so and rarely manage to off each other over it.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
The Walmart in our area has used self-checkout for several years and, based on my observations, people seem to be using them. They’re very common in the US, particularly in grocery stores, and have been for years.
That's good to hear. I have a weekly home delivery costing the equivalent of about $2 which is worth every penny because of the time saved and the elimination of sheer hassle. However, when I do visit a supermarket it is the self-service checkout for me every time. Maybe it's just Walmart customers in Arkansas that don't like it?

Last edited:
@ABNredleg appears to be a sane person living in a part of America where common sense seems prevalent.

It's just not good enough.

He needs to get his body armour on, pick up his gunz and start offing his neighbours.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
@ABNredleg appears to be a sane person living in a part of America where common sense seems prevalent.

It's just not good enough.

He needs to get his body armour on, pick up his gunz and start offing his neighbours.
There will be someone along in a minute like a moth to a flame mate, it's about the right time of day for him to appear...

ABNredleg

War Hero
That's good to hear. I have a weekly home delivery which costs the equivalent of about $2 which is worth every penny because of the time saved and the elimination of sheer hassle. However, when I do visit a supermarket it is the self-service checkout for me every time. Maybe it's just Walmart customers in Arkansas that don't like it?
Age has a lot to do with it -

https://s3.amazonaws.com/fetch_prod...TS Self-Service Retail Study - July 2018.pdf"

In-store retail: self service checkout usage by age U.S. 2019 | Statista

Younger people are familiar with the quirks of technology and are probably less likely to be frustrated by it. I worked in IT and use the scanners all the time. My wife, who has a PhD, is not comfortable with technology and hates the things.

Last edited:

ABNredleg

War Hero

How this could occur would mystify the Germans who are legally obliged to clear snow, do so and rarely manage to off each other over it.
Parking is a huge issue in large cities and people tend to get territorial about “their” parking space. It’s always been that way.

They have been in the walmarts in CA to CO for five years.

Walmart has self-service checkouts now? Every day a school.

Ah The City of Brotherly Love.

Parking is a huge issue in large cities and people tend to get territorial about “their” parking space. It’s always been that way.
Sadly true, My younger brother hasnt moved his vehicle in months to keep a neighbor from getting the spot here in NYC. The neighbor tends to use 2 spots for each of his 4 vehicles screwing over the other residents

Sadly true, My younger brother hasnt moved his vehicle in months to keep a neighbor from getting the spot here in NYC. The neighbor tends to use 2 spots for each of his 4 vehicles screwing over the other residents

What then is the point of having a vehicle if it is not used and just being parked to stop someone else parking in the space.
Appears childish to me.

What then is the point of having a vehicle if it is not used and just being parked to stop someone else parking in the space.
Appears childish to me.
You are talking about Residents of the Big Apple, who could just as easily use public transportation. But street parking is a territorial issue in the wonderful big cities.

Latest Threads