Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

America - its all a bit odd...

Just watching a piece on Sky News on the Moonies loonies.:eek:

'Hundreds of faithful at a Pennsylvania church on Wednesday carried AR-15-style rifles in adherence to their belief that a "rod of iron" mentioned in the Bible refers to the type of weapon that was used in last month's mass shooting in Parkland, Fla.

'The armed ceremony at World Peace and Unification Sanctuary in Newfoundland, about 20 miles southeast of Scranton, featured gun-toting worshippers, some wearing crowns of bullets as they participated in communion and wedding ceremonies.'

Well, that's two odd things about America I just learned. One is that there is a small town named Newfoundland in the US (I wonder how that came about), and the other is that it's the host for a branch of the Moonies.

One is that there is a small town named Newfoundland in the US

There are towns called Newfoundland in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Kentucky and North Carolina. That's an awful lot of moonhowlers right there. None of those places have any towns or locations called Dildo though, Newfoundland up in Canada does.

There are towns called Newfoundland in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Kentucky and North Carolina. That's an awful lot of moonhowlers right there. None of those places have any towns or locations called Dildo though, Newfoundland up in Canada does.

There’s also a very large amount of cities named after English ones.

There’s also a very large amount of cities named after English ones.

Agreed. both Canada and America have a fair few towns and cities named after British places. I once got asked to leave a bar in Edinburg down in Texas after telling the owner the founders must have been a right bunch of illiterate kunts.

Agreed. both Canada and America have a fair few towns and cities named after British places. I once got asked to leave a bar in Edinburg down in Texas after telling the owner the founders must have been a right bunch of illiterate kunts.
I live in southwestern Ontario. Some of largest cities and towns are London, Windsor, Chatham, and Tilbury. Most of the counties are named after English counties. The largest internal river is the Thames. In London many of the older streets are names after streets in the "other London". One of the iconic landmarks in London (Ont.) is Blackfriars Bridge (oldest wrought iron bridge still in full service in Canada).

London has an airport, and I once flew from London Ont., changed planes in Toronto, and then on to London UK. When I arrived in London (Heathrow) the immigration guy there looked at my itinerary which said that I flew from London to London. His brain refused to process this information and he stood there frozen with his mouth open for about 15 seconds before the other person with him plucked the paper out of his fingers and processed me through.

Roast it with all the trimmings, lovely dark meat with that gamey taste.
Shoot in the head with a. 22 sub instead of smashing it with a shotgun dismantle it while it's fresh pan fry in butter and eat it pink with the skin seared mmmmmmm
Poached pheasant

I live in southwestern Ontario. Some of largest cities and towns are London, Windsor, Chatham, and Tilbury. Most of the counties are named after English counties. The largest internal river is the Thames. In London many of the older streets are names after streets in the "other London". One of the iconic landmarks in London (Ont.) is Blackfriars Bridge (oldest wrought iron bridge still in full service in Canada).

London has an airport, and I once flew from London Ont., changed planes in Toronto, and then on to London UK. When I arrived in London (Heathrow) the immigration guy there looked at my itinerary which said that I flew from London to London. His brain refused to process this information and he stood there frozen with his mouth open for about 15 seconds before the other person with him plucked the paper out of his fingers and processed me through.

Slightly off thread, but similar. Memory jog:-

Departing from Sardinia in my FFR LWB rover, Via The LST Sir Lancelot, for the drive to the docks, i needed my Works ticket signed , ( AFG 3518, if memory serves) destination, London England. On arriving back at 10 sigs BLC hounslow, i was called into the MT office, The MT sergeant wanted to know how i got back from the Mediterranean without filling up, a distance of 1242 miles. he was deadly serious. 1974.

Last edited:

Departing from Sardinia in my FFR LWB rover, Via The LST Sir Lancelot, for the drive to the docks, i needed my Works ticket signed , destination, London England. On arriving back at 10 sigs BLC hounslow, i was called into the MT office, The MT sergeant wanted to know how i got back from the Mediterranean without filling up, a distance of 1242 miles. he was deadly serious. 1974.

There's a reason he's the MT sergeant and it's nothing to do with being a bright lad.

Departing from Sardinia in my FFR LWB rover, Via The LST Sir Lancelot, for the drive to the docks, i needed my Works ticket signed , ( AB3518, if memory serves) destination, London England. On arriving back at 10 sigs BLC hounslow, i was called into the MT office, The MT sergeant wanted to know how i got back from the Mediterranean without filling up, a distance of 1242 miles. he was deadly serious. 1974.
Ex DAWN PATROL by any chance?

Well, that's two odd things about America I just learned. One is that there is a small town named Newfoundland in the US (I wonder how that came about), and the other is that it's the host for a branch of the Moonies.
3 actually

Pennsylvania
Kentucky
New Jersey

Latest Threads