Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

America - its all a bit odd...

Wasn't sure what the rules where there, not allowed at all here and rightfully so. Personally I have never agreed with baiting for hunting.

I have a feeling some of the private outfits do it for their out of state " guests" who pay a lot of money for a photo op and a 10 second exposure to the real deal. But the natives are viewed as competition and are kept away from the visitors. Not all interaction with some property owners is wonderful, especially when they try to pull stunts on public land.

Up here in the Rockies we have both Grizzly and Black bears. Black bears are very shy and tend to avoid humans though saying that they are also very curious as well. I've had a couple of occasions when I've been sat having a break and a brew when a black bear has come nosying around.

The thing not do is get loud and panic them, that can lead them to attack purely out of fear. Instead I'll quietly ask them what they're up to and with that they'll scoot off.

About the only time black bears really need watching is when the have just woken up from hibernation and the bear is a sow because in the Spring, where there are sows there are usually a bear cub or two around as well and the last thing one needs is to inadvertently get between a sow and her cubs if there are no trees around for the sow to tree her cubs out of the way.

Grizzlies I feel get a bit of a bad rap, while they can be very aggressive under certain conditions, for the most part they will disappear when humans are around as well. Most attacks on humans by Grizzlies usually happen when humans don't see them and stumble upon them say in thick brush or other types of cover or have gotten between the sow and her cubs and the sow sees the human as a threat to the cubs.

Another time when bears get aggressive is when they are old and arthritic and coming to the end of their life or when injured and can't get away fast enough. Black and Grizzly bears are classed as carnivores when in actual fact they are omnivores, only a small percentage of their diet is made up of meat, usually in the form of fish, insects and small rodents. Bears will usually only come sniffing around human habitat when it's getting close to hibernation time and they are looking to build up their fat reserves for the long winter sleep which up here is around five months.

At this time of the year when out hunting it's not the bears one really has to watch out for, oh they like a nice juicy piece of meat but they will mostly stay out of sight and wait until I'm gone until they swoop in to finish up any offal left behind. Up here it's wolves and coyotes one has to be ready for hence the reason I always take a semi auto AR-15 with me as well as my hunting rifle and have it close to hand. when dressing out game and butchering it where it fell as is the case with Elk.

For bear I prefer to carry a large can of bear pepper spray with a firearm as a last resort because using a firearm against a healthy bear is usually not going to end well for the human.

Had a couple of fishing trips, way up north in Quebec, it was also a bear hunting camp, and they set up feeding stations, so rich Americans could "Belgrano" bears from a safe position, up in a tree.

Went out one morning for a dawn piss, and the fish- cleaning shed, well away from our cabin, had had a sodding great chunk chewed out of one corner, because of the scent.

Very reassuring, that our cabin was constructed from 15mm plywood..........

Up here in the Rockies we have both Grizzly and Black bears. Black bears are very shy and tend to avoid humans though saying that they are also very curious as well. I've had a couple of occasions when I've been sat having a break and a brew when a black bear has come nosying around.

The thing not do is get loud and panic them, that can lead them to attack purely out of fear. Instead I'll quietly ask them what they're up to and with that they'll scoot off.

About the only time black bears really need watching is when the have just woken up from hibernation and the bear is a sow because in the Spring, where there are sows there are usually a bear cub or two around as well and the last thing one needs is to inadvertently get between a sow and her cubs if there are no trees around for the sow to tree her cubs out of the way.

Grizzlies I feel get a bit of a bad rap, while they can be very aggressive under certain conditions, for the most part they will disappear when humans are around as well. Most attacks on humans by Grizzlies usually happen when humans don't see them and stumble upon them say in thick brush or other types of cover or have gotten between the sow and her cubs and the sow sees the human as a threat to the cubs.

Another time when bears get aggressive is when they are old and arthritic and coming to the end of their life or when injured and can't get away fast enough. Black and Grizzly bears are classed as carnivores when in actual fact they are omnivores, only a small percentage of their diet is made up of meat, usually in the form of fish, insects and small rodents. Bears will usually only come sniffing around human habitat when it's getting close to hibernation time and they are looking to build up their fat reserves for the long winter sleep which up here is around five months.

At this time of the year when out hunting it's not the bears one really has to watch out for, oh they like a nice juicy piece of meat but they will mostly stay out of sight and wait until I'm gone until they swoop in to finish up any offal left behind. Up here it's wolves and coyotes one has to be ready for hence the reason I always take a semi auto AR-15 with me as well as my hunting rifle and have it close to hand. when dressing out game and butchering it where it fell as is the case with Elk.

For bear I prefer to carry a large can of bear pepper spray with a firearm as a last resort because using a firearm against a healthy bear is usually not going to end well for the human.
IMG_0841.JPG
This one was offed by the COS after it got far too familiar in our sub div (estate). We are between its home up in the hills and the South Thompson river.

Had a couple of fishing trips, way up north in Quebec, it was also a bear hunting camp, and they set up feeding stations, so rich Americans could "Belgrano" bears from a safe position, up in a tree.

Went out one morning for a dawn piss, and the fish- cleaning shed, well away from our cabin, had had a sodding great chunk chewed out of one corner, because of the scent.

Very reassuring, that our cabin was constructed from 15mm plywood..........

I believe there are around 20 or so US States that allow baiting for hunting. As I stated earlier I don't agree with it and think it should be banned.

If one wants to hunt game the one should get off ones arrse and go find them. The problem with that though is twofold.

1. A lot of so called hunters wouldn't know what to look for when tracking game so they sit in a blind (hide) over a bait pile.

2. The thought of armed people wandering around already overcrowded State land (public land) in some States. What could possibly go wrong :roll:

Soutie, don't they try trapping it then releasing it miles away from where it was trapped?

Yes, they darted it twice while it was rummaging in a tote on a driveway. The CO said he didnt have a good angle for the shots and he was.......obligated, to drop it.

From what Ive heard, the regional COS has a "bit of a rep" for killing and disposing of critters, rather than trapping and relocation.

Yes, they darted it twice while it was rummaging in a tote on a driveway. The CO said he didnt have a good angle for the shots and he was.......obligated, to drop it.

From what Ive heard, the regional COS has a "bit of a rep" for killing and disposing of critters, rather than trapping and relocation.

If that's true about the COS rep then that is just plain wrong.

On my Colonial sedition Facebook group, we have an “exotic ammo” competition going on right now.

View attachment 513509
I submitted the above, and another gent I know countered

On my Colonial sedition Facebook group, we have an “exotic ammo” competition going on right now.

View attachment 513509
I submitted the above, and another gent I know countered today.

View attachment 513511Well played to him.
Are they specific for use on exotics?

We get the occasional bear in the city in southwestern Ontario, and they have to be dealt with. When possible they are darted and the put into a cage and relocated. However, if there are too many people around, then the bear may have to be shot for safety reasons.

Anaesthetic darts take a while to put a bear unconscious, and it may actually take several to have an effect on them. The bear can run off elsewhere in while this is going on, and if someone gets in their way they may attack tthem. So they don't just fall on the spot like you see on TV.

However, this process can attract the curious, who want to get sight of the bear, so sometimes the bear has to be killed immediately. If people would just do at they they were told and stay indoors while the animal control people were dealing with the bear, there would be less reason to kill them.

Just watching a piece on Sky News on the Moonies loonies.:eek:

'Hundreds of faithful at a Pennsylvania church on Wednesday carried AR-15-style rifles in adherence to their belief that a "rod of iron" mentioned in the Bible refers to the type of weapon that was used in last month's mass shooting in Parkland, Fla.

'The armed ceremony at World Peace and Unification Sanctuary in Newfoundland, about 20 miles southeast of Scranton, featured gun-toting worshippers, some wearing crowns of bullets as they participated in communion and wedding ceremonies.'

Latest Threads