Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

America - its all a bit odd...

Tyk

LE
Yep I'll make some for me and the dogs, herself isn't a fan of the stuff. Herself as usual was all "oh what a shame" and all the rest of the guff they spout over hunted animals. She doesn't seem to have a problem shoveling the meat down her neck though come dinner time.

Next week will be all tears again as well when it comes time to slaughter and butcher one of the cattle.

Do you hang game carcases before butchering to mature or isn't it the right thing to do? I'd have thought a beast like an elk would need some hanging time. If so how long for the species you can hunt?

Her being female who the feck knows what goes through that brain of hers. I told her once years ago that it's not a good idea to name them and get attached to them. Well the one she calls Molly is for the bullet next week and she's not happy about it.

Keeping livestock and not slaughtering at the right time isn't just damn silly, it's bordering on negligent. Every stock farmer I've ever known has feelings about slaughter, but managing the stock keeps the herd healthy.

Do you hang game carcases before butchering to mature or isn't it the right thing to do? I'd have thought a beast like an elk would need some hanging time. If so how long for the species you can hunt?

Around here mate it's unwise and can be dangerous to hang game for any length of time unless one wants bears trying to break windows or doors to get at it. Even if stored in a locked building bears, have a better nose than a bloodhound when it comes to finding meat and will do a lot of damage to get at it.

Also due to their size and weight, elk have to be dressed out and cut up where they fall and then packed out and one has to keep a wary eye out for the alpha predators and keep ones firearm very close to hand while butchering.
Keeping livestock and not slaughtering at the right time isn't just damn silly, it's bordering on negligent. Every stock farmer I've ever known has feelings about slaughter, but managing the stock keeps the herd healthy.

You're preaching to the choir here mate, I don't get attached to the livestock. Herself on the other hand, well I reckon it must be maternal thing when they see newborns, even livestock. I keep my cattle and other livestock in the best conditions I possibly can and try and ensure they have the best life possible until they leave us.

Tyk

LE
Around here mate it's unwise and can be dangerous to hang game for any length of time unless one wants bears trying to break windows or doors to get at it. Even if stored in a locked building bears, have a better nose than a bloodhound when it comes to finding meat and will do a lot of damage to get at it.

Also due to their size and weight, elk have to be dressed out and cut up where they fall and then packed out and one has to keep a wary eye out for the alpha predators and keep ones firearm very close to hand while butchering.

You're preaching to the choir here mate, I don't get attached to the livestock. Herself on the other hand, well I reckon it must be maternal thing when they see newborns, even livestock. I keep my cattle and other livestock in the best conditions I possibly can and try and ensure they have the best life possible until they leave us.

Dealing with the bears nose makes a lot of sense, they really are massive, strong with abundant teeth and claws. Not like you're driving up in a truck for your kill. Thanks for the info, not that many bears in the wilds of Yorkshire, it hadn't occurred to me.
I can't say I'm surprised you write like you do about the livestock, it's the same in every farmer I've ever known.

Dealing with the bears nose makes a lot of sense, they really are massive, strong with abundant teeth and claws. Not like you're driving up in a truck for your kill. Thanks for the info, not that many bears in the wilds of Yorkshire, it hadn't occurred to me.
I can't say I'm surprised you write like you do about the livestock, it's the same in every farmer I've ever known.

Up here in the Rockies we have both Grizzly and Black bears. Black bears are very shy and tend to avoid humans though saying that they are also very curious as well. I've had a couple of occasions when I've been sat having a break and a brew when a black bear has come nosying around.

The thing not do is get loud and panic them, that can lead them to attack purely out of fear. Instead I'll quietly ask them what they're up to and with that they'll scoot off.

About the only time black bears really need watching is when the have just woken up from hibernation and the bear is a sow because in the Spring, where there are sows there are usually a bear cub or two around as well and the last thing one needs is to inadvertently get between a sow and her cubs if there are no trees around for the sow to tree her cubs out of the way.

Grizzlies I feel get a bit of a bad rap, while they can be very aggressive under certain conditions, for the most part they will disappear when humans are around as well. Most attacks on humans by Grizzlies usually happen when humans don't see them and stumble upon them say in thick brush or other types of cover or have gotten between the sow and her cubs and the sow sees the human as a threat to the cubs.

Another time when bears get aggressive is when they are old and arthritic and coming to the end of their life or when injured and can't get away fast enough. Black and Grizzly bears are classed as carnivores when in actual fact they are omnivores, only a small percentage of their diet is made up of meat, usually in the form of fish, insects and small rodents. Bears will usually only come sniffing around human habitat when it's getting close to hibernation time and they are looking to build up their fat reserves for the long winter sleep which up here is around five months.

At this time of the year when out hunting it's not the bears one really has to watch out for, oh they like a nice juicy piece of meat but they will mostly stay out of sight and wait until I'm gone until they swoop in to finish up any offal left behind. Up here it's wolves and coyotes one has to be ready for hence the reason I always take a semi auto AR-15 with me as well as my hunting rifle and have it close to hand. when dressing out game and butchering it where it fell as is the case with Elk.

For bear I prefer to carry a large can of bear pepper spray with a firearm as a last resort because using a firearm against a healthy bear is usually not going to end well for the human.

@Steamboat

121728505_409298387139297_3319322767970346623_o.jpg

But it tastes so good!!

I am starting to wonder how she manages to eat meat with her tender feelings...

I don't recall off hand and I can't be arrsed looking, is baiting legal in Wy?

Ref hanging the meat, freezing does a similar thing in that it tenderises the meat.

I don't recall off hand and I can't be arrsed looking, is baiting legal in Wy?
I think only for Black Bears. I know some folks would like to bait the pest deer to places where they could be easily dispatched but I don't think it has passed at all.

We have hung around salt licks that ranchers have thrown out for cattle, and seen some wildlife approach them. But normally it is walk and glass or find a game trail or watering hole that is heavily used and stalk it.

But honestly the only time I have seen anybody bait anything is the FIL on his property in NC.

I think only for Black Bears. I know some folks would like to bait the pest deer to places where they could be easily dispatched but I don't think it has passed at all.

We have hung around salt licks that ranchers have thrown out for cattle, and seen some wildlife approach them. But normally it is walk and glass or find a game trail or watering hole that is heavily used and stalk it.

But honestly the only time I have seen anybody bait anything is the FIL on his property in NC.

Wasn't sure what the rules where there, not allowed at all here and rightfully so. Personally I have never agreed with baiting for hunting.

I think only for Black Bears.

Okay just checked. Aye that seems to be the case but the bait pile has to be registered with Department of Fish and Game, Up to two bait piles but only one pile per section as illustrated on U.S. Forest Service of Bureau of Land Management maps.

Latest Threads