Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

America - its all a bit odd...

Well, TBF, if it's done neat n quick and away from the smell of blood, it's a kinder way to go than keeping her as a pet and having to do the same damn thing if it gets sick in its old age.
Yup and in few months it will be replaced by another. But steak and eggs do sound amazing.

endure

GCM
So no offense to your lovely wife, but what does she think these creatures are for?? You don't get attached to breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

I'm very attached to breakfast...

brekkie1.png

Good on you. A generous hand is never forgotten.
Nice bit of meat there mate.
Stew some with dark ale, dumplings and potatoes - real keep out the winter cold stuff. Serve with fresh bread to mop up.

Both he and his wife are pretty frail these days but they have both been good neighbours to us when we first came here and started building our home and continued to be good neighbours. Herself goes over once a month or so to give them a medical and make sure things are okay with them.

I think that between them they have a few medical issues that herself doesn't talk about, she sends a copy of her findings/report to their family GP who has no issue with her doing so because of their age and the distance to travel to their doctors office. I believe their kids wanted them to move closer or into town but neither of them are having it and if I'm honest, living around here I can see why they don't want to move.

Thanks for the suggested recipe.

Well, TBF, if it's done neat n quick and away from the smell of blood, it's a kinder way to go than keeping her as a pet and having to do the same damn thing if it gets sick in its old age.

That there is the problem for herself, she doesn't get that they aren't pets. A short time after calves are born and are up and about it's not unusual around here to see four or five of the wee critters following her around the place like dogs and her calling them by the names she's given them when they wander off.

Edit to add that when it comes time to slaughter a cow it's all done nice and quietly and humanely.

endure

GCM
1. You're missing the baked beans.
2. When did you start painting your nails?
3. Your nail polish is chipped.
Not me guv! Honest!

...Thanks for the suggested recipe.

Carbonade Flamande.

Traditionally, the sauce is thickened with a thick slice of brown or wholewheat bread liberally smeared on both sides with mustard and placed on top of the stew before the lid goes on and it's left to simmer for a few hours.

Carbonade Flamande.

Traditionally, the sauce is thickened with a thick slice of brown or wholewheat bread liberally smeared on both sides with mustard and placed on top of the stew before the lid goes on and it's left to simmer for a few hours.

I just tend to cut the meat up into biggish chunks, stick it in a pot, cover with Guinness or some other stout/dark beer and let it soak overnight. Next day add the veggies (carrots and onions mostly but mushrooms if you want) and stick it on a low peep for most of the day.

endure

GCM

endure

GCM
I just tend to cut the meat up into biggish chunks, stick it in a pot, cover with Guinness or some other stout/dark beer and let it soak overnight. Next day add the veggies (carrots and onions mostly but mushrooms if you want) and stick it on a low peep for most of the day.

That'll work. I'd suggest half Guinness and half rich beef stock, or the hoppy roasted malt character becomes too overpowering and can make it bitter.

If using venison, a bit of fatty bacon chopped up and lobbed in with the other meat will help.

Mushrooms don't add anything. They just absorb the gravy flavour and become rubbery. Rather use the space for more carrots or peas and potatoes.

That'll work. I'd suggest half Guinness and half rich beef stock, or the hoppy roasted malt character becomes too overpowering and can make it bitter.

If using venison, a bit of fatty bacon chopped up and lobbed in with the other meat will help.

Mushrooms don't add anything. They just absorb the gravy flavour and become rubbery. Rather use the space for more carrots or peas and potatoes.
Depends on how much you like the taste of the gravy! We've grown used to it and enjoy it, we end up lobbing all sorts of veggies into the pot when we stick it on to cook then thicken the gravy with some Bisto at the end of cooking. Served with some crusty bread it's just the meal for a cold winters night.

Latest Threads