Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

America - its all a bit odd...

Rationing ended in 1954 Apparently rationing was more severe after the war than during it. The U-Boats weren't sinking our ships but the country was broke and the ladies couldn't get Hershey bars and chewing gum from the Yanks in exchange for a shag anymore.

Fixed:-
My bold. Meat was the last item to be to come of rationing. I still have my National registration ID card, issued in my name when I was born in 1950. It was compulsory to carry, and was shown in conjunction with your ration card, if asked for, so my grey haired old mum tells me, still alive at 88.

Last edited:
For the full 70’s experience it was:

Prawn Cocktail
Steak and Chips
Black Forest Gateaux

Accompanied by either Blue Nun, Black Tower, or for the adventurous, Mateus Rosé.

Followed of course by an Irish Coffee.

Smoking compulsory throughout.

At a Berni Inn?

E2A: bugger, beaten to it by @Effendi.

What Curry did you have?

Phal is weapons grade.

@Ex Observer may have witnessed the woe and suffering when new recruits to our college rugby team had their mandatory but mercifully singular Phal.
I didn't see that. I'm not a rugby player as we didn't do it at school but I did join for the social side. Went to one event and left half way through when one bloke stood on a table and got a blow job off another bloke. Perhaps I was a bit naive.

I stuck with the rifle and pistol club after that. The wildest that we got were lock ins at the Hope and Anchor as we used to shoot with the landlord.

Cut em in half,
Chuck em on George...

( Foreman)

(The Grill.....)

I KNOW Black Lives Matter...
Christ the George Formby Grill.

After dads transplant we got one of those as he was banned from having fried food. Mam put everything through that bloody thing. I was one the road for eight months a year and living in hotels so having steak every which way. Returning home after a couple of months mam did "steak" in the George Formby. Seriously there are blokes on this site who could have bulled it up to a nice shine. How dad didn't lose the will to live I'll never know.

Fixed:-
My bold. Meat was the last item to be to come of rationing. I still have my National registration ID card, issued in my name when I was born in 1950. It was compulsory to carry, and was shown in conjunction with your ration card, if asked for, so my grey haired old mum tells me, still alive at 88.

Was that the same mother who was arrested for clapping and laughing when she saw a graveyard in Germany, Aldridge?

Oops

War Hero
Christ the George Formby Grill.

After dads transplant we got one of those as he was banned from having fried food. Mam put everything through that bloody thing. I was one the road for eight months a year and living in hotels so having steak every which way. Returning home after a couple of months mam did "steak" in the George Formby. Seriously there are blokes on this site who could have bulled it up to a nice shine. How dad didn't lose the will to live I'll never know.

I don't think I've quite bought into the health benefits George envisaged...

I've got a small piece of wood that tips the whole unit back level.
The fat doesn't do owt silly like run off/away.
It's our own bred stuff that's too fat to sell commercially that goes in the freezer...
I'm in the @Lardbeast camp, more of a lardarrse though![/QUOTE]

The consumption of meat is another area where Brits have traditionally been snobs about each other. There is a class divide and a north/south divide in terms of meat burning.

There’s also markedly different ways in which people hold knives in the UK (unlike the Americans who (used to) cut everything up at once and then spoon everything up using just their fork).
Donald Sinclair walt

Same with Thai food.

Thais who open restaurants in the west don’t believe any ‘farang’ can actually eat their food. What they normally serve is what Thai mothers would give to colicky babies who are allergic to chilli.
Worked with a Thai bloke about 15 years ago who introduced me to proper Thai spices.

To this day, I think of him whenever I have a bout of acid reflux

Likewise Chinese food. You would not see what passes as Chinese food here offered to you in SE Asia.

Exactly. Roast chook sliced like a loaf of bread and riddled with bone shards. Bits of bone fried in batter, no meat on them. Boiled liver and lungs, no seasoning at all, just boiled in water till grey. Boiled bones. For some reason they freak out about the boiled stuff and sit there sucking the bones with big sloppy grins on their faces, or pile up the boiled lungs and liver. Raw, lukewarm shredded potato in oil, no seasoning. Some of it is just plain baffling.

You could say they'd fit right in with British cuisine, but British cooking is pretty flavourful and bloody good if done properly.

I don't think I've quite bought into the health benefits George envisaged...

I've got a small piece of wood that tips the whole unit back level.
The fat doesn't do owt silly like run off/away.
It's our own bred stuff that's too fat to sell commercially that goes in the freezer...
I'm in the @Lardbeast camp, more of a lardarrse though!

Fat is where the flavour hides.

Last edited:
Went to one event and left half way through when one bloke stood on a table and got a blow job off another bloke. Perhaps I was a bit naive.

Or vastly unlucky! I can't think of anything quite like that though there were a few boundary pushers amongst us. There would be a fair amount of skiffing level stuff and god knows what went on behind close doors but blimey!

Back on topic, the trial by Phal was always in one of the restaraunts so was quite public.

Exactly. The AGW alarmists need to show proof, not computer models that predict disaster. So please, show your workings.

I don't need to. You're making the claim, and those making extraordinary claims against consensus opinion are the ones that need to show the proof.

And in anycase, I'm happy to accept the consensus opinion that climate change is being added to by human activity. On balance, the arguments and evidence showing this sound convincing.

I don't need to. You're making the claim, and those making extraordinary claims against consensus opinion are the ones that need to show the proof.

And in anycase, I'm happy to accept the consensus opinion that climate change is being added to by human activity. On balance, the arguments and evidence showing this sound convincing.

He’s a buffoon, and quite possibly a walt.

Judging by his post in the “The Sterling” thread

1600785094848.png