Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

America - its all a bit odd...

UKRaider

Old-Salt
We've noticed.
tenor (1).gif

Are steak and fries (chips for you language deviants) a normal meal pairing in the U.K.?

Fries not a traditional side here with steak per say, but they don’t sound half bad either.

Granted Gordon seems to be making some money of people will pay close to 30 bucks for the above combo, in London.View attachment 505749

To my mind Steak and Chips would have been a meal ordered as part of a fairly major celebration in the UK prior to the 1980s. After that Italian, Chinese and Indian restaraunts increasingly soaked up the lower end of the market for eating out. Higher end restaraunts would probably have done steak and chips if requested but it was unlikley to be a featured item.

I have googled but cannot find an old Alka Seltzer print cartoon ad that I recall. It featured a steak "boat" being rowed by a crew of mushrooms using chip "oars". In the second frame it was topedoed by a champagne cork launched from a champagne bottle "submarine". The 'shrooms were very important lifting it beyond the level of an ordinary meal.

ETA A fried egg as noted upthread was also highly probable but in my memory not essential.

Last edited:
You are right, some of the sauces do have sugar contents that are high. But sometimes it is the price you pay, but “heat” is very nice.

Real men cry when they eat, and can’t feel their lips as they go numb. Just don’t have any cuts in your fingers.

Pssst...

Meet me out back so I can tell you about Phal curry.

Vinegar on chips is vile.

Might as well get Satan or some old drunken Harold to piss on them.

Gravy on chips is a sordid perversion (although dipping your chips into a steak pie is great).

Mayo is the way to go.

I like Worscestershire Sauce sprinkled on the chips in a sauasage supper.

To my mind Steak and Chips would have been a meal ordered as part of a fairly major celebration in the UK prior to the 1980s. After that Italian, Chinese and Indian restaraunts increasingly soaked up the lower end of the market for eating out. Higher end restaraunts would probably have done steak and chips if requested but it was unlikley to be a featured item.

I have googled but cannot find an old Alka Seltzer print cartoon ad that I recall. It featured a steak "boat" being rowed by a crew of mushrooms using chip "oars". In the second frame it was topedoed by a champagne cork launched from a champagne bottle "submarine". The 'shrooms were very important lifting it beyond the level of an ordinary meal.

ETA A fried egg as noted upthread was also highly probable but in my memory not essential.

For the full 70’s experience it was:

Prawn Cocktail
Steak and Chips
Black Forest Gateaux

Accompanied by either Blue Nun, Black Tower, or for the adventurous, Mateus Rosé.

Followed of course by an Irish Coffee.

Smoking compulsory throughout.

Prawn Cocktail
Steak and Chips
Black Forest Gateaux

Accompanied by either Blue Nun, Black Tower, or for the adventurous, Mateus Rosé.

An excellent summary.

Spicy chicken, never had Phal. I would imagine that would be a fine and pleasant misery.

Spicy chicken is a variety of chicken nugget pal.
You need to start racking your brains to remember what type of curry you had or your reputation may suffer.

I'll try and help....
Was there a lot of onion?
Was there a lot of tomato?
Was there yoghurt and coconut in the sauce?
Did it come in a metal bowl?

Prawn Cocktail
Steak and Chips
Black Forest Gateaux

I remember the above and thought my dad was a bit exotic when he had a fried egg on top of his steak.

Prawn Cocktail
Steak and Chips
Black Forest Gateaux

Consumed in a Berni Inn.

You need to start racking your brains to remember what type of curry you had or your reputation may suffer.

I'll try and help....
Alternative diagnostic criteria:
When you had a shit the next day, rate the following on a scale of 1-10
Nausea
Pain
Foul odour
Liquidity of poo
Viscosity and adhesiveness of remnants when wiping

I'll try and help....
It was at a truck stop after a long day of bird hunting, and a far cry from the traditional burger and fries

It did have some heat, but I didn’t get sick.

Latest Threads