Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

America - its all a bit odd...

Used to work for a company that had a customer in the US and always took a care package of Swiss and Cadbury chocolate from the duty free shop for their head office staff. One guy gave me a bar of their version of a Kit Kat. It was gopping.
Also took cans of Boddingtons for the head of their IT department who was ex USAF and picked up the taste for it when he was based in the UK.
Good people.

I did the reverse import once.

I went to Mars HQ (the chocolate people not the planet) in Washington once. They give guests a really nice white box with a shitload of choccy bars in it. The two American colleagues I went with gave me their boxes as they didn't have any kids.

My kids thought they were shite.

They still ate them though.

How does Sir feel about brown sauce or mustard?

Since you asked.

Brown sauce is fine in a bacon sarnie and with shepherds pie.

I love mustard. Best accompaniment to beef, ham, sossidges, pork and in sauces.

Neither go with chips. Heresy.

Slight thread drift:-
Ah Mustard ! of course the queen of mustards is the pure English variety. If you eat foriegn food, then the different varieties of French will tickle your pallet, as with bratwurst, or some cheeses, the Dijon variety complements most. For the more fastidious connoisseur the honey variety has a pronounced flavour, as does a good cracked pepper variety.

The varieties and strengths are many and varied, from horseradish to wine and whisky infused mustards. The Chinese have one that could power a tank, mega hot and strong, its your choice.

endure

GCM
Slight thread drift:-
Ah Mustard ! of course the queen of mustards is the pure English variety. If you eat foriegn food, then the different varieties of French will tickle your pallet, as with bratwurst, or some cheeses, the Dijon variety complements most. For the more fastidious connoisseur the honey variety has a pronounced flavour, as does a good cracked pepper variety.

The varieties and strengths are many and varied, from horseradish to wine and whisky infused mustards. The Chinese have one that could power a tank, mega hot and strong, its your choice.

American mustard is pretty shite.

I used to like the mild senf on my bratwurst in Germany but it didn't stand up to ham, beef etc. I whinged about this to my German friend and he bought me a tube of Dortmunder (might have been Dusseldorfer) mustard which was very much like English mustard.

You have to like counties with real regional specialities in foods.

Bodenplatte

War Hero
What you put on your chips/fries depends on what you are eating.

With fish and chips from the chippy, then salt and vinegar only.

With bratties or bockies, then Deutscher senf with the wurst, and mayo on the chips.

With steak and kidney pudding, gravy.

Egg and chips - brahn sauce.

This is the law of the Medes and Persians, which altereth not.

tgo

War Hero
Salt & malt vinegar for fish and chips - a dash of tomato ketchup is acceptable as cod is a bit... bland

Worcestershire sauce is lovely on a bacon butty

Tomato ketchup is nice on a burger

Mayo? That has its place too, on a cold chicken and tomato sandwich - with crusty bread.

English mustard is excellent on sausage sandwiches (hotdogs if you will - not those saveloy things, proper thick pork bangers)

Also nice with Steak & chips.

French mustard - just no.

White vinegar? you're having a laugh.

anglo

LE
Mustard,
The two things that make me puke are mustard and gin,
I was doing some house wiring for an old lady, she brought me,
what looked like lemonade in a half pint glass and a door step beef
buttie, I took a bite of the buttie, hell fire mustard, I spit it out and
took a large drink of the lemonade, which turned out to be gin
I had to go and sit in my van

tgo

War Hero
Mustard,
The two things that make me puke are mustard and gin,
I was doing some house wiring for an old lady, she brought me,
what looked like lemonade in a half pint glass and a door step beef
buttie, I took a bite of the buttie, hell fire mustard, I spit it out and
took a large drink of the lemonade, which turned out to be gin
I had to go and sit in my van

She wanted your body...

Can someone tell me why they take such strong stances on food? I can understand @anglo with his mustard and gin revulsions, ketchup is similar in my book. Can’t stand the stuff.

But the other stuff, what exactly does it matter, if someone else likes something different to you? I can’t imagine there are many people who dislike pineapple on its own. But put it on a pizza and it polarizes opinions. Some like it, some don’t. What on earth does it matter, if one doesn’t like it on pizza, and therefore don’t ever eat it on pizza, if someone else does?

Or white or malt vinegar (or red, rice or white wine vinegar for that matter), why do some people castigate others for doing what takes their fancy? It’s like Gen Cowan with his rules about sandwiches. He made an utter c*nt of himself.

Can someone tell me why they take such strong stances on food? I can understand @anglo with his mustard and gin revulsions, ketchup is similar in my book. Can’t stand the stuff.

But the other stuff, what exactly does it matter, if someone else likes something different to you? I can’t imagine there are many people who dislike pineapple on its own. But put it on a pizza and it polarizes opinions. Some like it, some don’t. What on earth does it matter, if one doesn’t like it on pizza, and therefore don’t ever eat it on pizza, if someone else does?

Or white or malt vinegar (or red, rice or white wine vinegar for that matter), why do some people castigate others for doing what takes their fancy? It’s like Gen Cowan with his rules about sandwiches. He made an utter c*nt of himself.
Good point.

I am in a minority on here as I like meat cooked through rather than warmed up and cannot stand eggs. You're all welcome to eat raw meat and chicken periods as much as you want.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

1600619464969.png

I do, and last indulged that fetish last night with burgers, salad, chips and mayo. Although I probably got it from living in Lesser Germania for five years.

Almost ubiquitous is smothering chips (and virtually everything else) with tomato ketchup. We have raised an entire generation of tastebud deficient halfwits who put ketchup on everything. I was having a pizza with my daughters once and they pointed out some knob putting ketchup on a pizza. WTF?
North Americans put ketchup on Egg Banjos ffs. Sacrilege.

Latest Threads