Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

America - its all a bit odd...

You can drive 450 miles from one side of the state to the other on I-40 and not encounter any tolls. You’d also drive through temperate plains, the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains, as well as the major cities of Memphis, Nashville and Knoxville. If you started in Arkansas and went eastward to North Carolina, you’d cross the Mississippi, Cumberland, Clinch, Holston and French Broad rivers, all of which are major rivers. It’s far from a boring drive. Well maybe for about 100 miles out of Memphis, but you’re so glad to get out of there, it’s fine :)

That sounds like a pretty cool road trip.

Out of interest what's wrong with Memphis? It can't be too bad as you can contact it on long distance information.

All these condiments except S+V are wrong. This has nothing to do with class.

Vinegar on chips is vile.

Might as well get Satan or some old drunken Harold to piss on them.

Gravy on chips is a sordid perversion (although dipping your chips into a steak pie is great).

Mayo is the way to go.

Not sure where the toll roads come into engine size or configuration, but for your education, only about half of the states actually have them. We don’t have any here in Tennessee. You can drive 450 miles from one side of the state to the other on I-40 and not encounter any tolls. You’d also drive through temperate plains, the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains, as well as the major cities of Memphis, Nashville and Knoxville. If you started in Arkansas and went eastward to North Carolina, you’d cross the Mississippi, Cumberland, Clinch, Holston and French Broad rivers, all of which are major rivers. It’s far from a boring drive. Well maybe for about 100 miles out of Memphis, but you’re so glad to get out of there, it’s fine :)

One of the things that the US does do, is remove the tolling when the road’s been paid for. This happened in Atlanta when we lived there. SR400 which goes from the city to the northern suburbs used to have a 50c toll. It was built for the Olympics in the 90s, and had a toll plaza in Buckhead. That was removed about 7 or 8 years ago, and for a period there were no toll roads in Georgia. Where the toll plaza was, there’s just a curious vast widening of the road in both directions. There are some now, as some express lanes around ATL have been built. A bit like the M6 Toll in the UK.

The M6 toll road is voluntary, you are not obliged to use it to get to your destination, it runs almost parallel to the Government run M6. Its in essence a private road, I don't know if that is the same in the US. Looking at the list of toll roads in the states, one caught my eye, in Pennsylvania 359 miles long, hells teeth!! that's almost half the length of the UK. There are a few more toll controlled roads, bridges and tunnels her in the UK, all privately owned, or run by local councils, but nothing as long or well managed as the USA.

Chips in a bucket, second only to Jenga chips. Any establishment that does either should be fire bombed.

Not to pick on you in particular, @endure, but that’s a perfect example of what I said in #17228. The carte blanche statement is made: “the only suitable condiments for chips are salt and vinegar”.

Having lived in Germany for a while, I like mayo with them. Some people like ketchup, others HP sauce, others yet mustard. Some like pepper on them. Heinz 57 is good too, although I’m not sure that’s available in the UK. The Dutch have a thing called “Frites Sauce”, which seems to be a mayo-mustard-dill mix. And of course salt ‘n vinegar too. Or just salt. Or BBQ sauce, or buffalo dip. Or gravy. Or curry sauce.

All of these condiments are suitable, if the person eating them likes them. As I said, having been exposed to other cultures for a long time has illustrated to me a very British tendency to classify everything. I just don’t understand the implicit criticism of putting something other than salt ‘n vinegar on something as simple as a plate of chips. The world has wider horizons than the vinegar bottle and salt shaker.

There’s even a difference in vinegar types. Some ghastly types use ‘malt’ vinegar.

That sounds like a pretty cool road trip.

Out of interest what's wrong with Memphis? It can't be too bad as you can contact it on long distance information.

Crime. It’s a very, very poor city. They have some good music and BBQ, but that’s because of the black heritage. It’s very black city, about 2/3rds black. The economy there has one good thing going for it, FedEx has its headquarters there. Memphis International Airport is huge, it used to be a hub for Northwest/Delta, but that shut down in the wake of the 2008/9 financial crisis. They’re actively demolishing the unused passenger terminals to make space for FedEx. There’s dozens of purple and white cargo aircraft there, and little else.

The schools and hospitals (pretty much all of them) are customers of my company, and the constant ask is for us to reduce pricing, because they don’t have the money. One of the major trauma hospitals there, their IT department is in an old Tuberculosis hospital from the 40s, and it’s in pretty much original state. I hate going there, it’s horrid. Not so say that that’s prevalent throughout the state or country, but Memphis is certainly the poor relation of Tennessee.

They do have a pretty cool Bass Pro Shops though, a massive glass pyramid on the river. It has a hotel in it, and I’ve stayed there, it was one of the nicest hotels I’ve ever been in. Then you drive three blocks and see run down buildings and poverty. Just like Manchester really :)

Hershey’s is where it’s at baby!

Had a Hershey bar once, I liken it to eating overly sweet, compressed parrot droppings........ allegedly Disgusting. Try Swiss or Belgium chocolate, bearing in mind that they have been making the stuff well before the mayflower was even on the drawing board, and then tell me that septic bars are still the way forward,............. I dare you.

Last edited:

syrup

LE
Vinegar on chips is vile.

Might as well get Satan or some old drunken Harold to piss on them.

Gravy on chips is a sordid perversion (although dipping your chips into a steak pie is great).

Mayo is the way to go.

Mayo, Mayo on chips?

Good golly miss molly do you bat for the Remain side
Are you a closet European?

Let my cultural guide address the matter

Bodenplatte

War Hero
Almost ubiquitous is smothering chips (and virtually everything else) with tomato ketchup. We have raised an entire generation of tastebud deficient halfwits who put ketchup on everything. I was having a pizza with my daughters once and they pointed out some knob putting ketchup on a pizza. WTF?

It masks the taste of the pineapple chunks, dunnit ?

The M6 toll road is voluntary, you are not obliged to use it to get to your destination, it runs almost parallel to the Government run M6. Its in essence a private road, I don't know if that is the same in the US. Looking at the list of toll roads in the states, one caught my eye, in Pennsylvania 359 miles long, hells teeth!! that's almost half the length of the UK. There are a few more toll controlled roads, bridges and tunnels her in the UK, all privately owned, or run by local councils, but nothing as long or well managed as the USA.

It’s much the same here, at least the ones I’ve been on. There is pretty much always an alternative, but it’s going to take a lot longer to get there. Prior to the Eisenhower Interstate system of the 50s, there were the US-routes (US-66 being most famous). These still exist, and will get you where you need to go. Many of them are of Interstate standard too. But also many not. I’d Liken most of them to “dual carriageways” in the UK. But some are just two-lane roads.

Had a Hershey bar once, I liken it to eating overlay sweet, compressed parrot droppings........ allegedly Disgusting. Try Swiss or Belgium chocolate, bearing in mind that they have been making the stuff well before the mayflower was even on the drawing board, and then tell me that septic bars are still the way forward,............. I dare you.

Your point about Swiss and Belgian chocolate is valid. German and French chocolate similarly.

I'm not convinced the emboldened bit is historically correct though.

endure

GCM
The Croquettes look pretty decent, as do a few other things on the menu. But the price seems a bit more down to earth.

That's because I live out where the wild things are rather than that London.

It’s much the same here, at least the ones I’ve been on. There is pretty much always an alternative, but it’s going to take a lot longer to get there. Prior to the Eisenhower Interstate system of the 50s, there were the US-routes (US-66 being most famous). These still exist, and will get you where you need to go. Many of them are of Interstate standard too. But also many not. I’d Liken most of them to “dual carriageways” in the UK. But some are just two-lane roads.

I went out of my way once just to drive on Route 66. As the missus was moaning about car sickness my kicks were sadly lacking.

I did see the biggest turd I have ever seen in a khazi at a truck stop on 66. It made the Lloyds Log look like a baby shite. Poor ****** that dumped that one must have been walking funny for a month.

Your point about Swiss and Belgian chocolate is valid. German and French chocolate similarly.

I'm not convinced the emboldened bit is historically correct though.

Probably not, I threw it in to highlight the USA's chocolate making history, in relation to the real makers of fine confectionery, and as for French, never tried, but the boxhead stuff is delish, I go for the 36 different varieties of Ritter sport, almost impossible to find here in the UK.

Memory Jog:- Flying back from Germany, from Nuremberg Via Stuttgart on Goring Airways the duty free shop had all the varieties, and so a carrier bag full of Ritter sport, all 36 flavours, was carried back through UK customs. 2006.

Last edited:
Probably not, I threw it in to highlight the USA's chocolate making history, in relation to the real makers of fine confectionery, and as for French, never tried, but the boxhead stuff is delish, I go for the 36 different varieties of Ritter sport, almost impossible to find here in the UK.

Memory Jog:- Flying back from Germany, from Nuremberg Via Stuttgart, the duty free shop had all the varieties, and so a carrier bag full of Ritter sport, all 36 flavours, was carried back through UK customs. 2006.
Used to work for a company that had a customer in the US and always took a care package of Swiss and Cadbury chocolate from the duty free shop for their head office staff. One guy gave me a bar of their version of a Kit Kat. It was gopping.
Also took cans of Boddingtons for the head of their IT department who was ex USAF and picked up the taste for it when he was based in the UK.
Good people.

Had a Hershey bar once, I liken it to eating overlay sweet, compressed parrot droppings........ allegedly Disgusting. Try Swiss or Belgium chocolate, bearing in mind that they have been making the stuff well before the mayflower was even on the drawing board, and then tell me that septic bars are still the way forward,............. I dare you.
We get all of the imported goods here. But you also pay heavily for them as well. Hershey’s is the child hood chocolate, not to to sweet or dark. I like the mini’s, a good snack.

But right now my brunch consists of Crunchy Chickpeas and Powerade.
2804B415-E1C2-4E7B-8229-93059A48C2F1.jpeg

Mayo, Mayo on chips?
Are you a closet European?

1) Not on. Beside.
2) Yes. I did say I picked the habit up in Germany.

Mayo is God's food.
Vinegar is tramps piss.
Ketchup is tramps piss with food colouring.
Gravy is watery tramps shite and piss and is plain wrong.

Salt is acceptable. I like salt.

Vinegar is tramps piss.
Ketchup is tramps piss with food colouring.
Gravy is watery tramps shite and piss and is plain wrong.

Salt is acceptable. I like salt.
How does Sir feel about brown sauce or mustard?

Latest Threads