Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

America - its all a bit odd...

I do, and last indulged that fetish last night with burgers, salad, chips and mayo. Although I probably got it from living in Lesser Germania for five years.

Almost ubiquitous is smothering chips (and virtually everything else) with tomato ketchup. We have raised an entire generation of tastebud deficient halfwits who put ketchup on everything. I was having a pizza with my daughters once and they pointed out some knob putting ketchup on a pizza. WTF?
Ketchup on pizza is a no go. Crushed red peppers is preferred. I was under the impression that your English Mustard reigned supreme along with the vinegar

Is Worcestershire sauce still pretty popular?

But that does make me wonder if you folks have a more developed sweet tooth your way. As your chocolate is also way sweeter then the standard here.

That was served in London. If somebody tried to charge 30 bucks for that here, the business would done for.

That's London and flash establishments.
There places that charge half that for better and more.

Not to pick on you in particular, @endure, but that’s a perfect example of what I said in #17228. The carte blanche statement is made: “the only suitable condiments for chips are salt and vinegar”.

Having lived in Germany for a while, I like mayo with them. Some people like ketchup, others HP sauce, others yet mustard. Some like pepper on them. Heinz 57 is good too, although I’m not sure that’s available in the UK. The Dutch have a thing called “Frites Sauce”, which seems to be a mayo-mustard-dill mix. And of course salt ‘n vinegar too. Or just salt. Or BBQ sauce, or buffalo dip. Or gravy. Or curry sauce.

All of these condiments are suitable, if the person eating them likes them. As I said, having been exposed to other cultures for a long time has illustrated to me a very British tendency to classify everything. I just don’t understand the implicit criticism of putting something other than salt ‘n vinegar on something as simple as a plate of chips. The world has wider horizons than the vinegar bottle and salt shaker.
Ranch, Sweet and Sour, Texas Pete, BBQ sauce, Caribbean Jerk sauce... The sky is the limit. But my new fav is the McDonalds fire sauce!

Those little 3 cylinder turbo motors can go up to 160 bhp and still do 40+ mpg, pretty incredible (I wouldn't probably want one after 3 yrs though as I do wonder about longevity)

Our one is still in exercelnt nick, garaged, with only 33,800 on the clock, and its 7 years old. cracking little motor, just the job for England's rural roads, and drives well in the big city, total unsuited for America's big long roads. the doris does like the rear sliding doors, no centre column, easier for rear seat passengers.

Anything other than salt and vinegar on chips is straying too close to Poutine
for most.
Food_at_WIkimanian_2017_02.jpg

Chips and gravy anyone ?

4klc1l6ws4p21.jpg

endure

GCM
I do, and last indulged that fetish last night with burgers, salad, chips and mayo.

Mayo and chips? Are you Dutch? You're dead to me!

Not going to lie, I do like the concept. But for the price, I would expect more steak.

The diner probably had a number of courses and more stuff to go on the plate but as I said above, chose the picture to have a moan on Yelp, Tripadvisor etc. It's a hobby for some people. A career for others.

The money is not really the point though, is it. There are plenty of restaurants in Europe and America where you can pay $30 for steak frites. Whether the ambience, decor, cutlery, service and social cachet are worth paying three times what you would pay in a diner is down to the individual diner.

I paid $48 for a flank steak in the Stripsteak in Vegas. Just the steak. All the sides were extra. It was the best steak I have ever had but was it worth $48. I think it was. If you don't want to cough for a decent restaurant go to Walmart and cook it yourself.

If you were trying to get into her knickers you wouldn't take your new squeeze to McDonalds would you?

Would you?

endure

GCM
Steak frites in our local bistro is £11.95 or £12.95/£14.95 for a 2/3 course prix fixe meal during the day.

Steak-frites PF
GF
£11.95
Pan-seared minute steak (bavette cut, served pink) with dressed leaves

The diner probably had a number of courses and more stuff to go on the plate but as I said above, chose the picture to have a moan on Yelp, Tripadvisor etc. It's a hobby for some people. A career for others.

The money is not really the point though, is it. There are plenty of restaurants in Europe and America where you can pay $30 for steak frites. Whether the ambience, decor, cutlery, service and social cachet are worth paying three times what you would pay in a diner is down to the individual diner.

I paid $48 for a flank steak in the Stripsteak in Vegas. Just the steak. All the sides were extra. It was the best steak I have ever had but was it worth $48. I think it was. If you don't want to cough for a decent restaurant go to Walmart and cook it yourself.

If you were trying to get into her knickers you wouldn't take your new squeeze to McDonalds would you?

Would you?
Well I have been married for 11 years now, so yes sometimes McDonald’s fries and a shake get the job done.

Once upon a time, I did have a few females who bought me drinks. Granted it wasn’t exactly expensive to get me drunk in that era of life.

But I would prefer a woman who is happy with cheap, and not expect the higher end all the time. Most of us start out living poor and work our way up the ladder one rung at a time.

But that also boils down to life goals and what sacrifices one is prepared to make or not.

At this point the thought of spending 48 bucks for an excellent steak to feed myself is a non starter. I can spend the same amount or less to be honest to feed a family of four.
Frivolity is nice upon occasion, I will say.

Would you?

If that's what she wanted, no problem.

Nothing flags your intent more than a flash meal. Still, it gives her a guage as to what one thinks bedding her is worth.

Steak frites in our local bistro is £11.95 or £12.95/£14.95 for a 2/3 course prix fixe meal during the day.

Steak-frites PF
GF
£11.95
Pan-seared minute steak (bavette cut, served pink) with dressed leaves

The Croquettes look pretty decent, as do a few other things on the menu. But the price seems a bit more down to earth.

My bold. how very dare you sir, my shitty little 3 cylinder FORD, 999cc B-Max;)with turbo, zooms along on the motorways of Albion at a respectable 80+ MPH, no problem. Not having your long and boring interstates, wide open spaces, and state toll roads,:eek: we do not need to crash around in a 8 cylinder supercharged BFO gas guzzling civilian:soldier: tank of a motor. horses for courses, so to speak.

PS. I do like the TV programmes on PBS America & The Smithsonian channel, " America from above" Very interesting and informative, and quite amazing to see.:grin:

Not sure where the toll roads come into engine size or configuration, but for your education, only about half of the states actually have them. We don’t have any here in Tennessee. You can drive 450 miles from one side of the state to the other on I-40 and not encounter any tolls. You’d also drive through temperate plains, the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains, as well as the major cities of Memphis, Nashville and Knoxville. If you started in Arkansas and went eastward to North Carolina, you’d cross the Mississippi, Cumberland, Clinch, Holston and French Broad rivers, all of which are major rivers. It’s far from a boring drive. Well maybe for about 100 miles out of Memphis, but you’re so glad to get out of there, it’s fine :)

One of the things that the US does do, is remove the tolling when the road’s been paid for. This happened in Atlanta when we lived there. SR400 which goes from the city to the northern suburbs used to have a 50c toll. It was built for the Olympics in the 90s, and had a toll plaza in Buckhead. That was removed about 7 or 8 years ago, and for a period there were no toll roads in Georgia. Where the toll plaza was, there’s just a curious vast widening of the road in both directions. There are some now, as some express lanes around ATL have been built. A bit like the M6 Toll in the UK.

But that does make me wonder if you folks have a more developed sweet tooth your way. As your chocolate is also way sweeter then the standard here.

Ranch, Sweet and Sour, Texas Pete, BBQ sauce, Caribbean Jerk sauce... The sky is the limit. But my new fav is the McDonalds fire sauce!

I am seeing a bit of a discrepancy there Steamy. How much sugar is in those sauces.

You colonials eat about 126g/person p.a of sugar. Brits eat about 93g/person.

Looking at Septics and Brits I am guessing that sugar intake is not exactly uniform across the populations especially as I have not used sugar since 1973. Some lardbucket must be eating my 93g.

I am seeing a bit of a discrepancy there Steamy. How much sugar is in those sauces.

You colonials eat about 126g/person p.a of sugar. Brits eat about 93g/person.

Looking at Septics and Brits I am guessing that sugar intake is not exactly uniform across the populations especially as I have not used sugar since 1973. Some lardbucket must be eating my 93g.
You are right, some of the sauces do have sugar contents that are high. But sometimes it is the price you pay, but “heat” is very nice.

Real men cry when they eat, and can’t feel their lips as they go numb. Just don’t have any cuts in your fingers.

Not to pick on you in particular, @endure, but that’s a perfect example of what I said in #17228. The carte blanche statement is made: “the only suitable condiments for chips are salt and vinegar”.

Having lived in Germany for a while, I like mayo with them. Some people like ketchup, others HP sauce, others yet mustard. Some like pepper on them. Heinz 57 is good too, although I’m not sure that’s available in the UK. The Dutch have a thing called “Frites Sauce”, which seems to be a mayo-mustard-dill mix. And of course salt ‘n vinegar too. Or just salt. Or BBQ sauce, or buffalo dip. Or gravy. Or curry sauce.

All of these condiments are suitable,

All these condiments except S+V are wrong. This has nothing to do with class.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
You've got a f'kin neck after what you lot have done to Cadbury's choclate!

Latest Threads