Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

America - its all a bit odd...

Based on observation I would guess that at least 95% (tending to 100%) of steaks eaten out in the UK are paired with chips of some description (triple cooked, thick, skinny fries etc). Sometimes they are eaten with the ghastliest culinary abomination ever, the sweet potato chip. These people should be murdered.

Joining them on the list of murderees should be the twats that serve chips in those poxy little buckets. All they do is steam the chips in the bottom half and make them go soggy.

I assume you mean Gordon Ramsey. That does not look like a Ramsey meal to me.
Yup it was a Gordon Ramsey meal at his place in London. I just thought the combo pairing was a bit different.

Normally I get a side salad and a loaded baked sweet potato, which is great btw. Or the loaded baked potato.

Sweet potato fries and tots are a bone of contention in the house, I love them but the wife loathes them entirely. I enjoy sneaking a bag into the house every once in a while.

This...

Try frying cubed sweet potato in butter, once soft add a bit of sugar, pinch of salt and ground cinnamon. Cook till sugar is slightly caramelised. Brown/Demerara sugar works well. Some folks add a drop of brandy but I prefer rum.

Takes around ten minutes.

That looks damn good!

The consumption of meat is another area where Brits have traditionally been snobs about each other. There is a class divide and a north/south divide in terms of meat burning.

There’s also markedly different ways in which people hold knives in the UK (unlike the Americans who (used to) cut everything up at once and then spoon everything up using just their fork).

Brits are snobs about pretty much everything. It’s only since I’ve lived out of the UK for an extended period that it’s become obvious to me. There seems to be a need to classify everything, and then take a sneering opinion of those classifications that are perceived to be of a lower level than one’s own.

As a citizen of both countries, I’m on the fence.

If there’s need for proof of that first paragraph, one only needs to read this thread, starting with the OP.

Now get back to your shitty little four-cylinder motors :)

Brits are snobs about pretty much everything. It’s only since I’ve lived out of the UK for an extended period that it’s become obvious to me. There seems to be a need to classify everything, and then take a sneering opinion of those classifications that are perceived to be of a lower level than one’s own.

If there’s need for proof of that first paragraph, one only needs to read this thread, starting with the OP.

You do realise that there were 1500hp 1500cc four bangers in the old world back in the eighties.
Stick to your pickmeuptruck.

You do realise that there were 1500hp 1500cc four bangers in the old world back in the eighties.
Stick to your pickmeuptruck.

Of course, I couldn’t wait to hear The Chain and the dulcet tones of Murray and James of a Sunday evening. But those engines only lasted a few hundred miles, and what was one of the most successful engines of the pre-turbo era? The Ford Cosworth DFV, a V8 design that used less fuel than the four-pot turdos.

I’m only taking the piss of course, but I would be glad to stick to my truck (that makes slightly more power and four times the torque of a DFV) :)

Of course, I couldn’t wait to hear The Chain and the dulcet tones of Murray and James of a Sunday evening. But those engines only lasted a few hundred miles, and what was one of the most successful engines of the pre-turbo era? The Ford Cosworth DFV, a V8 design that used less fuel than the four-pot turdos.

I’m only taking the piss of course, but I would be glad to stick to my truck (that makes slightly more power and four times the torque of a DFV) :)
Not to mention having a ground clearance that won’t wreck your vehicle. The little sedans don’t do well out here 8 months of the year.

endure

GCM
Not going to lie, I do like the concept. But for the price, I would expect more steak.

Does the UK have the mayo fetish the Germans do with fries?

No we don't. The only suitable condiments for chips are salt and vinegar although that's a fish and chips thing rather than steak.
steak frites.jpg

Yup it was a Gordon Ramsey meal at his place in London. I just thought the combo pairing was a bit different.

Normally I get a side salad and a loaded baked sweet potato, which is great btw. Or the loaded baked potato.

Sweet potato fries and tots are a bone of contention in the house, I love them but the wife loathes them entirely. I enjoy sneaking a bag into the house every once in a while.

Yes it was Ramsay. I Tineyed it and found it in some rag.

I have a suspicion that that wasn't the entire picture though and was carefully chosen to apply a steak mallet to Ramsay.

No wine, side dishes etc visible.

The British shitmedia love to tear down people who have got somewhere by their own graft and hard work (whilst at the same time fawning over petty aristocrats, nobs etc who have achieved **** all, other than crawling out of some posh birds minge).

My bold. how very dare you sir, my shitty little 3 cylinder FORD, 999cc B-Max;)with turbo, zooms along on the motorways of Albion at a respectable 80+ MPH, no problem. Not having your long and boring interstates, wide open spaces, and state toll roads,:eek: we do not need to crash around in a 8 cylinder supercharged BFO gas guzzling civilian:soldier: tank of a motor. horses for courses, so to speak.

PS. I do like the TV programmes on PBS America & The Smithsonian channel, " America from above" Very interesting and informative, and quite amazing to see.:grin:

Last edited:
Yes it was Ramsay. I Tineyed it and found it in some rag.

I have a suspicion that that wasn't the entire picture though and was carefully chosen to apply a steak mallet to Ramsay.

No wine, side dishes etc visible.

The British shitmedia love to tear down people who have got somewhere by their own graft and hard work (whilst at the same time fawning over petty aristocrats, nobs etc who have achieved **** all, other than crawling out of some posh birds minge).
Well you do still a very rigid social order over that way. But one would think your younger folks are starting to break away from that trend. I mean Lord of finance and first minister of the Pound Tappet will associate with us lowly peons. He is a Millennial, so not all hope is lost.

Does the UK have the mayo fetish the Germans do with fries?

I do, and last indulged that fetish last night with burgers, salad, chips and mayo. Although I probably got it from living in Lesser Germania for five years.

Almost ubiquitous is smothering chips (and virtually everything else) with tomato ketchup. We have raised an entire generation of tastebud deficient halfwits who put ketchup on everything. I was having a pizza with my daughters once and they pointed out some knob putting ketchup on a pizza. WTF?

tgo

War Hero
Those little 3 cylinder turbo motors can go up to 160 bhp and still do 40+ mpg, pretty incredible (I wouldn't probably want one after 3 yrs though as I do wonder about longevity)

No we don't. The only suitable condiments for chips are salt and vinegar although that's a fish and chips thing rather than steak.View attachment 505875

Not to pick on you in particular, @endure, but that’s a perfect example of what I said in #17228. The carte blanche statement is made: “the only suitable condiments for chips are salt and vinegar”.

Having lived in Germany for a while, I like mayo with them. Some people like ketchup, others HP sauce, others yet mustard. Some like pepper on them. Heinz 57 is good too, although I’m not sure that’s available in the UK. The Dutch have a thing called “Frites Sauce”, which seems to be a mayo-mustard-dill mix. And of course salt ‘n vinegar too. Or just salt. Or BBQ sauce, or buffalo dip. Or gravy. Or curry sauce.

All of these condiments are suitable, if the person eating them likes them. As I said, having been exposed to other cultures for a long time has illustrated to me a very British tendency to classify everything. I just don’t understand the implicit criticism of putting something other than salt ‘n vinegar on something as simple as a plate of chips. The world has wider horizons than the vinegar bottle and salt shaker.

I do, and last indulged that fetish last night with burgers, salad, chips and mayo. Although I probably got it from living in Lesser Germania for five years.

Almost ubiquitous is smothering chips (and virtually everything else) with tomato ketchup. We have raised an entire generation of tastebud deficient halfwits who put ketchup on everything. I was having a pizza with my daughters once and they pointed out some knob putting ketchup on a pizza. WTF?
Ketchup on pizza is a no go. Crushed red peppers is preferred. I was under the impression that your English Mustard reigned supreme along with the vinegar

Is Worcestershire sauce still pretty popular?

But that does make me wonder if you folks have a more developed sweet tooth your way. As your chocolate is also way sweeter then the standard here.

That was served in London. If somebody tried to charge 30 bucks for that here, the business would done for.

That's London and flash establishments.
There places that charge half that for better and more.

Not to pick on you in particular, @endure, but that’s a perfect example of what I said in #17228. The carte blanche statement is made: “the only suitable condiments for chips are salt and vinegar”.

Having lived in Germany for a while, I like mayo with them. Some people like ketchup, others HP sauce, others yet mustard. Some like pepper on them. Heinz 57 is good too, although I’m not sure that’s available in the UK. The Dutch have a thing called “Frites Sauce”, which seems to be a mayo-mustard-dill mix. And of course salt ‘n vinegar too. Or just salt. Or BBQ sauce, or buffalo dip. Or gravy. Or curry sauce.

All of these condiments are suitable, if the person eating them likes them. As I said, having been exposed to other cultures for a long time has illustrated to me a very British tendency to classify everything. I just don’t understand the implicit criticism of putting something other than salt ‘n vinegar on something as simple as a plate of chips. The world has wider horizons than the vinegar bottle and salt shaker.
Ranch, Sweet and Sour, Texas Pete, BBQ sauce, Caribbean Jerk sauce... The sky is the limit. But my new fav is the McDonalds fire sauce!

Latest Threads