Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

America - its all a bit odd...

Are steak and fries (chips for you language deviants) a normal meal pairing in the U.K.?

Fries not a traditional side here with steak per say, but they don’t sound half bad either.

Granted Gordon seems to be making some money of people will pay close to 30 bucks for the above combo, in London.View attachment 505749
Steamboat. That buffalo next to the container of chips is still alive. Do you mountain hill billies eat your meat raw just after you have caught it?

I don’t drive anything with less than 6 cylinders. 10 or 12 is optimal. And my skinny wife will cut you.
The good news is that electric cars and deep fried mars bars is the way to a long life.
Scotland is your best option for a long life unless they decide to nuke themselves
I see a lot of crappy cars... this one sounded fast. It just didn’t appear to be quick.View attachment 505753
Let me guess, It's a cop car :)

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Are steak and fries (chips for you language deviants) a normal meal pairing in the U.K.?

Fries not a traditional side here with steak per say, but they don’t sound half bad either.

Granted Gordon seems to be making some money of people will pay close to 30 bucks for the above combo, in London.View attachment 505749
WTF is that supposed to be? I know you Yanks are adverse to cutlery, but getting someone else to cut your steak up is just pure laziness!

Absolutely. Anybody that orders a well done steak should be directed to the other items on the menu. Then beaten with a length of alkathene pipe.
Better get the pipe out.

My preferred steak is medium rare...but just occasionally I like the incredibly chewy, with crisp edges, overdone "forgotten about on a barbecue" type.

I know, I'm going to hell.

Steamboat. That buffalo next to the container of chips is still alive. Do you mountain hill billies eat your meat raw just after you have caught it?

Buffalo? It's hardly bigger than a chip. Obviously something sold by hamster wranglers to their ghey clientele.

As for being raw, it's the only way to eat steak.

endure

GCM
Unless you know what size the old mini was, then the new one just screams "bloated".

There are plenty of pictures available on google (just type in "mini old new"), some of which use perspective in a dodgy way, but this one seems 'fair':

I know two people who drive new minis and they are nice cars with surprisingly quiet engines. They just don't look like a proper mini.

The Golf is the same. The original Mk1 was somewhere between the size of a Lupo and a Polo.

22555590_1581478768557333_5635955520558075566_o.jpg

Surely the degree of cooking for a steak depends on he cut and quality of the meat in question. A ribeye will be different to a fillet and a cheap piece of rump will be different to a good piece.
Plus the person who is paying for, and eating, the meat gets to choose how they want it, no?

The insistence of “steak must be raw” gets carried on the the point that people start asking how you want your burgers cooked.

The BMW version of a Golf is the BMW 1 series.
True but they are both built on the same platform.
you would never think there would be enough folk who go into a dealership and say “ I’d like something with as big a footprint as a golf please, but as small inside as an old mini, like a tardis in reverse. Oh and Id like it to look like a mini would if I was really really pissed.”
but I suppose they must.

Very few Cathedrals here so that’s not a factor. It’s very rare to hear somewhere described as a town (Township sometimes) or a village. When people do use village it seems to me to be a bit pretentious, I live in a snobby “village” big houses (not mine) and a marina. So city can really mean anything.

My bold. Cathedrals are not a factor when a town applies-bids for city status. Wolverhampton was one of several towns that applied for city status in 2000, the queen signed letters patent, approved. Wolverhampton pre dates the doomsday book, (1086 AD) and does not have a cathedral.

Last edited:

Based on observation I would guess that at least 95% (tending to 100%) of steaks eaten out in the UK are paired with chips of some description (triple cooked, thick, skinny fries etc). Sometimes they are eaten with the ghastliest culinary abomination ever, the sweet potato chip. These people should be murdered.

Joining them on the list of murderees should be the twats that serve chips in those poxy little buckets. All they do is steam the chips in the bottom half and make them go soggy.

I assume you mean Gordon Ramsay. That does not look like a Ramsay meal to me.

Last edited:

Where's the rest of it?

And the eggs?

I see a lot of crappy cars... this one sounded fast. It just didn’t appear to be quick.View attachment 505753

Is that a paint job on a standard car or is it dazzle camouflage on a new model being tested? If the latter the driver might not want to cane it.

It might not belong to that car but someone's ABS has burned a bit of rubber stopping at that light.

...Sometimes they are eaten with the ghastliest culinary abomination ever, the sweet potato chip. These people should be murdered...

This...

Try frying cubed sweet potato in butter, once soft add a bit of sugar, pinch of salt and ground cinnamon. Cook till sugar is slightly caramelised. Brown/Demerara sugar works well. Some folks add a drop of brandy but I prefer rum.

Takes around ten minutes.

Sorry but I like my steak dead and cremated. The Continentals are the ones to eat their meat while it is still alive.

The consumption of meat is another area where Brits have traditionally been snobs about each other. There is a class divide and a north/south divide in terms of meat burning.

There’s also markedly different ways in which people hold knives in the UK (unlike the Americans who (used to) cut everything up at once and then spoon everything up using just their fork).

Latest Threads