Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

America - its all a bit odd...

Bodenplatte

War Hero
Depends when they were made. From (admittedly dodgy) memory they were designed by Alec Issigonis (wrong spelling) around 1965 and rolled off the production line around 1967ish. They were then made continuously until the late 1990s, Early models are definitely classics, the last ones probably not, everything else is somewhere in the middle.
They came on to the market in 1959, marqued as the Morris Mini-Minor and the Austin 7.

Cobblers. The original version was a cheap as chips car turned inside out so the welding seams were on the outside rather than the inside. The suspension sub frames were made out of milk bottle tops such that a mate of mine made a living out of replacing A frames that you could stick your finger through without any effort.

I used to work in the office of the second hand department of a major dealer. The lads used to throw all their lunch time crisp bags into a gash can.

Mick, our captive panel beater and a magic man with the hammers, used to use the crisp packets to stuff the rusty holes at the bottom of the windscreen of second hand minis up for sale. He'd then use filler to finish them off.

The BMW versions are modern quality cars which is more than can be said of the original heaps of rust.
That may all be true but Jonesy was talking about "iconically British" which the originals were and the modern ones aren't. They're the BMW version of a VW Golf with a Mini themed bodykit stuck on top.

endure

GCM
That may all be true but Jonesy was talking about "iconically British" which the originals were and the modern ones aren't. They're the BMW version of a VW Golf with a Mini themed bodykit stuck on top.

The BMW version of a Golf is the BMW 1 series.

The BMW version of a Golf is the BMW 1 series.
Golfs do seem to have inflated over the years but the BMW Mini and current Golf look similar to me:

Both around 20 grand, both with engines around 1.6 to 2 litres.

The Mini still screams “sporty” , the Golf looks like a mom car...
Unless you know what size the old mini was, then the new one just screams "bloated".

There are plenty of pictures available on google (just type in "mini old new"), some of which use perspective in a dodgy way, but this one seems 'fair':

I know two people who drive new minis and they are nice cars with surprisingly quiet engines. They just don't look like a proper mini.

Unless you know what size the old mini was, then the new one just screams "bloated".

There are plenty of pictures available on google (just type in "mini old new"), some of which use perspective in a dodgy way, but this one seems 'fair':

I know two people who drive new minis and they are nice cars with surprisingly quiet engines. They just don't look like a proper mini.
I would imagine your parents were skinnier and didn’t complain as much.
Much the same as vehicles here have grown in size. People want more amenities, and you can’t fit any of that stuff in the older vehicles.

Binky. Ep 1. Day 1.

One day...

Depends where you live, everyone at this end of the province uses the term town because there’s shedloads of them, I’m located between two and always refer to my location as in the township, or county.
Historically, in Ontario "city", "town", "village", and "hamlet" had official meanings, and were connected with the size of the population and the corresponding responsibilities of the municipal government. It has gotten a bit more confused in recent times however when there are regional municipalities involved.

Under the original system if a village wanted to upgrade to being a town, they needed a certain minimum population, and then could apply to the provincial government for a town charter. The same was true for a town to upgrade to being a city. Increased responsibilities and taxes came along with that, but also increased services and control of local affairs.

A few decades ago the municipal act was changed to bring in regional municipalities in some areas, specifically to accommodate the rapid urban growth in the region around Toronto. That made the distinction between towns and cities irrelevant in those areas, so it was left up to the discretion of the urban areas whether to call themselves towns or cities. So you had "towns" that had grown to be several times the size of many cities but had never bothered to change their designation.

To apply the above to the US by analogy, I suspect you would need to know how the laws regarding municipalities works in each state to understand what the difference between a village, town, or city was, and how these changed over time.

Are steak and fries (chips for you language deviants) a normal meal pairing in the U.K.?

Fries not a traditional side here with steak per say, but they don’t sound half bad either.

Granted Gordon seems to be making some money of people will pay close to 30 bucks for the above combo, in London.
7BD1C8C8-2629-433A-93DB-2740A2859A88.jpeg

Are steak and fries (chips for you language deviants) a normal meal pairing in the U.K.?

Fries not a traditional side here with steak per say, but they don’t sound half bad either.

Granted Gordon seems to be making some money of people will pay close to 30 bucks for the above combo, in London.View attachment 505749
That's such a freakshow of a meal that I'd be expect a Falcon 5 to land on of it for shits and giggles. Must be Londonistan where mostly you get non english speakers serving non english speakers with shit tons of money to spend because the country they came from won't miss it until they are all pushing up daisies.

Last edited:
That's SOCALsapper and the wife, isn't it?
I don’t drive anything with less than 6 cylinders. 10 or 12 is optimal. And my skinny wife will cut you.

I see a lot of crappy cars... this one sounded fast. It just didn’t appear to be quick.
0411239A-55E7-49C1-B874-4A3828EBE880.jpeg

Latest Threads