Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

America - its all a bit odd...

As the thread title says...

'On 16 March 1991, a young black teenager named Latasha Harlins was dropped off at the corner store near her home in South Central Los Angeles. The shop’s name was Empire Liquor, on the intersection of 91st street and Figueroa Ave, and she was there to pick up some orange juice for her family.

'Harlins walked into the store and pulled a carton from the fridge. It cost $US1.79. She placed the juice in her bag and fished out $2 to pay for the item and walked to the register.

'Moments later she would be dead – shot point blank in the head and killed instantly by the owner of the store, who claimed that she was convinced Harlins was stealing the juice. Harlins was 15 years old. She was found with the money in her hand.

'According to eyewitness testimony, Harlins picked up a carton of orange juice and proceeded to the register to pay. She had the money in her hand. But when she got there, Du claimed that Harlins had attempted to steal the juice. She called Harlins a “b***h”, asking her to pay for her drink.

“What orange juice?” Harlins responded. It was then that Du grabbed Harlins by her shirt, trying to wrestle the juice from her backpack. Harlins fought back and hit Du twice, causing her to fall backwards.

'Later, while on trial for manslaughter in court, Du testified that Harlins threatened to kill her and that she feared for her life. So she reached for a gun. At that point, Harlins put the orange juice on the counter, but Du knocked it away.

'Harlins turned away to leave and it was then that Du shot her in the head. She died instantly, the money in her hand. Du’s husband rushed into the store and called 911, reporting the case as an attempted robbery.'

endure

GCM

'On 16 March 1991, a young black teenager named Latasha Harlins was dropped off at the corner store near her home in South Central Los Angeles. The shop’s name was Empire Liquor, on the intersection of 91st street and Figueroa Ave, and she was there to pick up some orange juice for her family.

'Harlins walked into the store and pulled a carton from the fridge. It cost $US1.79. She placed the juice in her bag and fished out $2 to pay for the item and walked to the register.

'Moments later she would be dead – shot point blank in the head and killed instantly by the owner of the store, who claimed that she was convinced Harlins was stealing the juice. Harlins was 15 years old. She was found with the money in her hand.'

Proportionality isn't really a thing in the US is it?

Only in America...
958D2A2C-5965-4191-B436-B307D6DE55EB.jpeg

stacker1

On ROPS
On ROPs
Proportionality isn't really a thing in the US is it?

It just goes to show racism was alive and well in the USA all those years ago.

And its those bloody Asians to blame for it.

Very few Cathedrals here so that’s not a factor. It’s very rare to hear somewhere described as a town (Township sometimes) or a village. When people do use village it seems to me to be a bit pretentious, I live in a snobby “village” big houses (not mine) and a marina. So city can really mean anything.
Depends where you live, everyone at this end of the province uses the term town because there’s shedloads of them, I’m located between two and always refer to my location as in the township, or county.

I was thinking @Sam The Bam. We all know he has a hard on for Wendy’s and Mini Coopers. But just think how you can pimp your ride when you make the leap over!
You say that like I've not already had a 2006 model Blue Mini Cooper with a Union Jack roof, white speed stripes on the bonnet and UJ Wing Mirrors / rear view mirrors whilst serving in Germany.

Honest. That wasn't me.

(I loved that car - except the unreliability).

'Moments later she would be dead – shot point blank in the head and killed instantly by the owner of the store, who claimed that she was convinced Harlins was stealing the juice. Harlins was 15 years old. She was found with the money in her hand.

'According to eyewitness testimony, Harlins picked up a carton of orange juice and proceeded to the register to pay. She had the money in her hand. But when she got there, Du claimed that Harlins had attempted to steal the juice. She called Harlins a “b***h”, asking her to pay for her drink.

“What orange juice?” Harlins responded. It was then that Du grabbed Harlins by her shirt, trying to wrestle the juice from her backpack. Harlins fought back and hit Du twice, causing her to fall backwards.

'Later, while on trial for manslaughter in court, Du testified that Harlins threatened to kill her and that she feared for her life. So she reached for a gun. At that point, Harlins put the orange juice on the counter, but Du knocked it away.

'Harlins turned away to leave and it was then that Du shot her in the head. She died instantly, the money in her hand. Du’s husband rushed into the store and called 911, reporting the case as an attempted robbery.'

life, art and all that....

You say that like I've not already had a 2006 model Blue Mini Cooper with a Union Jack roof, white speed stripes on the bonnet and UJ Wing Mirrors / rear view mirrors whilst serving in Germany.

Honest. That wasn't me.

(I loved that car - except the unreliability).
Are they mechanical pains?

Never had one, but they are as iconically British as anything here can be. But we do have a rather decent Ex Pat population here thanks to Warren, who do add to the city.

Never had one, but they are as iconically British as anything here can be.
The BMW versions aren't. If the original was a supermodel trimmed down to sleek lines with curves in the right places then the modern versions are the fat ugly sister.

The Clubman is the Downs syndrome cousin.

Are they mechanical pains?

Never had one, but they are as iconically British as anything here can be. But we do have a rather decent Ex Pat population here thanks to Warren, who do add to the city.
Mine were electrical mainly, in both Minis that I owned. Various electrical issues, windscreen seal leaking and one occasion when it just turned itself off whilst I was in the outside lane on a motorway.

I won't be getting another.

Mine were electrical mainly, in both Minis that I owned. Various electrical issues, windscreen seal leaking and one occasion when it just turned itself off whilst I was in the outside lane on a motorway.

I won't be getting another.
That is a crap experience. I had a Jeep that did that to me, and I was not happy losing power with an infant in the back seat. I definitely lost that loving feeling for the vehicle after that.

The Original should be a classic car, by now?
Depends when they were made. From (admittedly dodgy) memory they were designed by Alec Issigonis (wrong spelling) around 1965 and rolled off the production line around 1967ish. They were then made continuously until the late 1990s, Early models are definitely classics, the last ones probably not, everything else is somewhere in the middle.

endure

GCM
The BMW versions aren't. If the original was a supermodel trimmed down to sleek lines with curves in the right places then the modern versions are the fat ugly sister.

The Clubman is the Downs syndrome cousin.

Cobblers. The original version was a cheap as chips car turned inside out so the welding seams were on the outside rather than the inside. The suspension sub frames were made out of milk bottle tops such that a mate of mine made a living out of replacing A frames that you could stick your finger through without any effort.

I used to work in the office of the second hand department of a major dealer. The lads used to throw all their lunch time crisp bags into a gash can.

Mick, our captive panel beater and a magic man with the hammers, used to use the crisp packets to stuff the rusty holes at the bottom of the windscreen of second hand minis up for sale. He'd then use filler to finish them off.

The BMW versions are modern quality cars which is more than can be said of the original heaps of rust.

Depends when they were made. From (admittedly dodgy) memory they were designed by Alec Issigonis (wrong spelling) around 1965 and rolled off the production line around 1967ish. They were then made continuously until the late 1990s, Early models are definitely classics, the last ones probably not, everything else is somewhere in the middle.
Was it designed to compete with infamous VW Bug?

Latest Threads