Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

America - its all a bit odd...

Well that’s US fucked.

View attachment 505548

Was alright was RBG, she will be sorely missed.

The Mrs is/was a huge fan of hers and was only saying a couple of weeks ago that she thought the lady was clinging on the the mortal coil in order to spite the Orange One (hail his magnificence). Sadly, it looks as if she did not manage it.

RIP good lady.

Last edited:
Was was alright was RBG, she will be sorely missed.

The Mrs is/was a huge fan of hers and was only saying a couple of weeks ago that she thought the lady was clinging on the the mortal coil in order to spite the Orange One (hail his magnificence). Sadly, it looks as if she did not manage it.

RIP good lady.
And this is another thing odd about the US - celebrity supreme court judges. Few people in Canada could come up with the name of a single Canadian supreme court judge or tell you anything about them, while in the US Americans know who their judges are and how they lean politically on any particular case.

Personally, I find the idea of celebrity judges a bit disquieting, as it really not ought to matter who the judge is, the result should be the same regardless.

Tyk

LE
I think he was actually on about purchase tax and registration. The annual registration/road tax here in Texarrse is around $50 a year for a private vehicle.

The annual road test takes the bloke at the inspection centre less than 5 minutes, we chat about europe as he is of Italian heritage and off I go.

Petrol, I paid about $1.40 a gallon this week with my supermarket points being taken into consideration.

Our sales tax is around 6.25% with some counties adding a % or so just to cream a little more off.

Property tax in the new gaff is around $12K, compared to $20K in the last one.

The wifes spreadsheet model showed that we are still quids in living here compared to europe. She factored London in as she had to move several people over from London to New York and needed to show them that it was actually still cheaper here - if they lived in New jersey, or Connecticutt and not New York City. It is actually more expensive to live in NYC than it is to live in California.

The spreadsheets don't lie (assuming no errors in data) and if the quality of life is roughly equal (on personal terms of course) then the numbers are absolute :)

Good for you if you've got what you like, more power to your respective elbows I say.

And this is another thing odd about the US - celebrity supreme court judges. Few people in Canada could come up with the name of a single Canadian supreme court judge or tell you anything about them, while in the US Americans know who their judges are and how they lean politically on any particular case.

Personally, I find the idea of celebrity judges a bit disquieting, as it really not ought to matter who the judge is, the result should be the same regardless.

Indeed, I find the idea of politicised and public figure Judges that have to seek election so pander to their voters (below Supreme Court) thoroughly bizarre.
Your final paragraph is fundamental and I suspect in the USA it's more than a bit tricky in practice.

Last edited:
I know someone who used to live in Dallas. He said the summers were so hot as to be unbearable for most people so they never went outside.

Summers were too hot, winter weather was unpleasant for some other reason (I can't recall what), but the spring and autumn were OK.

Mmm.. It seems I've found a bit of a sweet spot in San Antonio, then. Not as humid as places like Houston or Texarkana, snow is a rarity. Summers are hot, no two ways about it, but soggy, hunid hot days are a bit of a rarity, and it's not too far to find some form of elevation change. You won't go hiking the woods at 2pm in August, but most other activities seem OK.

Army surplus tents...

Probably enough of it around to equip Marine or SF gym bunny power monkeys. Some of those boys carry a lot of weight, albeit arranged slightly better than Tubby O'Gravity.

Had a bunch living in the same accom in East Timor, PMC types, and I doubt any of them would have survived a week on hard rations without resupply. Just the amount of protein powder consumed could probably have kept South Sudan going for a month.

tgo

War Hero
America seems to have a strange idea of what a City is.

Looking at the San Antonio post, I went to look at the safest places in Texas, and this list popped up

They're describing as cities, things with the population of glorified villages or extremely small market towns here.

like, San Elizario

Places along the U.S.-Mexico border are often portrayed by the media as violent, but San Elizario doesn't fit this stereotype at all. The city averaged just one violent crime every three months, so it's not exactly a battleground. San Elizario also had the lowest rate of property crime in the state, with a rate about eight times lower than the national average.

Population: 9,161

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Winter is not terrible, no snow, no ice, light fleece weather if you have lived in colder climes. Spring and Autumn are perfectly fine, especially when the local mummys all start wandering around wearing their yoga gear everywhere. I have a British acquaintance who works on the deli counter in the local version of Fortnum & Masons. During his lunch break he can be found sitting on the bench outside the establishment enjoy a coffe and the view of the mummy's all arriving to do their shopping. His actual words to me one time were, "I'd work here for nothing during the warm months".

Summer though is absolutely gopping, no other way to describe it. 100F+, 90%+ humidity. You go from your air conditioned house, into your air conditioned car, into an air conditioned office, or indoor shopping centre. There is so much latent heat that even the swimming pools heat up to 80F+ over the summer months. Of course everyone gets a pool to jump into to cool down over the summer, but to be honest no one bothers because it is just like jumping into a hot bath. We had 5 neighbours, nextdoor and behind us, everyone had a pool and after observation over a couple of summers I can categorically tell you people pay a fortune for them to be installed, and the running costs and maintenance, but they just do not get used.

For those who have done jungle warfare training I can tell you that working outside in Texarrse during the summer is like doing a jungle patrol exercise. Apart from shitting in placky bags, though building site porta-bogs are not much better - snakes seem to like the blue fluid the shit floats in.

Ordinarily I run away to California over the summer, sadly though, not this year.
You're really selling the lone star state...

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
Texarrse is flat unless you go to the furthest, unpopulated, desert areas used by human trafficking, drug smugglers.

It is also bleeding humid, June - September most days are around 90%+. Just walking out of the door to the post box at the end of the drive is like walking through a sauna fully clothed. If I am working outside it is not uncommon for me to shower and change 3, or 4, times in one day - I bulk buy cheap white t-shirts from Walmart for working in. Like this morning; I am laying some paving slabs at the moment so I had a wash, got dressed in work gear and laid some slabs, losing about 4 kgs of body weight in sweat, I finished at lunchtime and then had a shower and washed again.

Also, the way Texas developed means that most land in Texas is actually owned by someone other than the government. As a result there are precious few places to go for countryside yomps, and decent green-laning for motorcycles and 4x4's is unheard of. New Mexico and Colorado are the closest interesting places to go and they see a regular stream of Texan off-roaders and campers every weekend. I personally like New Mexico as I have a thing for deserts.

Beaches, Texas has beaches. Yeah, with more shit and pollution than most other beaches anywhere. The way the turds float out of the Mississippi River they hug the coastline and float on down past Houston hugging the shoreline all the way.

I like California, you know when you see a place and you just know it is right for you? Well, that is California for me. I like wandering along the ocean at sparrow fart and late in the evening, I like being up in the mountains, and out in the desert. I sometimes wonder with the mountains how many of the coastal dwelling urbanites have actually set foot on some, if any, of the peaks - some places you can just see that no one has ever been, its (sorry I hate the word, but I need to use it) awesome. I can't skydive anymore so I want to paraglide off the peaks in California, spend all day getting to the top and then step out and glide down.
Thanks for that, I wish you good fortune. The only seaside I've been to in Texas was Galveston and, for all my high hopes, I wasn't impressed! Cheers...

Honestly - there are taxes on things I can’t even grasp. Cell phone taxes, lumber taxes, paint taxes, proposition 65 taxes. Go to palm spring on a weekend getaway and they have short term rental taxes, resort fees, environmental fees... it just goes on and on.

You need to have a revolution against the tyranny.

Was was alright was RBG, she will be sorely missed.

RIP good lady.

She was, as a former client of mine, always a great pleasure to deal with.
Whilst the main bulk of my clients were the international judiciary and senior bar, we had few dealings with the US Supreme Court so she rather stuck in my memory.
She had dropped in without an apppointment one Saturday, London's legal district having always been dead on Sat. so it was mostly overseas clients who we would see as many would only be in the UK for a few days.
Instantly charming and unassuming, she made a big impression and was a regularly in touch.
Apologies for the ramblings from my grey sludge.
RIP Your Honour.

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

Mmm.. It seems I've found a bit of a sweet spot in San Antonio, then. Not as humid as places like Houston or Texarkana, snow is a rarity. Summers are hot, no two ways about it, but soggy, hunid hot days are a bit of a rarity, and it's not too far to find some form of elevation change. You won't go hiking the woods at 2pm in August, but most other activities seem OK.

You are lucky then sir. Dallas/Fort Worth is horrible, and the last time I went to Austin on business wearing a suit I had time for a quick wander around the city centre after I had parked up. Big rookie mistake, a deceptively humid day, my shirt and underpants were sodden, sticking to my body by the time I arrived at my meeting.

You are lucky then sir. Dallas/Fort Worth is horrible, and the last time I went to Austin on business wearing a suit I had time for a quick wander around the city centre after I had parked up. Big rookie mistake, a deceptively humid day, my shirt and underpants were sodden, sticking to my body by the time I arrived at my meeting.
Easy solution, stop wearing them.

America seems to have a strange idea of what a City is.

Looking at the San Antonio post, I went to look at the safest places in Texas, and this list popped up

They're describing as cities, things with the population of glorified villages or extremely small market towns here.

like, San Elizario

Places along the U.S.-Mexico border are often portrayed by the media as violent, but San Elizario doesn't fit this stereotype at all. The city averaged just one violent crime every three months, so it's not exactly a battleground. San Elizario also had the lowest rate of property crime in the state, with a rate about eight times lower than the national average.

Population: 9,161
Very few Cathedrals here so that’s not a factor. It’s very rare to hear somewhere described as a town (Township sometimes) or a village. When people do use village it seems to me to be a bit pretentious, I live in a snobby “village” big houses (not mine) and a marina. So city can really mean anything.

Latest Threads