Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

America - its all a bit odd...

Possibly. Depends on the cost of living / pay cut differential.

Sadly my wife’s credit card bills will probably remain constant regardless of our state of residence.

Texas is growing (almost exploding) so quickly that companies are paying a premium for skilled staff to attract them in from out of State.

If you have the time go onto Realtor.com and check out Plano, Frisco, Coppell, Southlake. We live in Southlake which is rated as one of the top 30 posh places to live in the US, we have a fair few la'la'land types and professional athletes living here, and a fair few of the Dallas Cowboys live in Frisco. Coppell is like a dormitory town for American Airlines flight crews and Plano is full of management types from the white collar businesses.

I have read a number of articles like that one and seen quite a few videos.

I have to say that the black groups look a lot better organised than the white groups. They march in order, dress off properly, seem to have a common uniform etc. They mostly seem quite fit.

In contrast a lot of the white groups look like a bunch of shabby drunks just ambling around. And a lot of them are no stranger to the Big Mac and the taco.

Be interesting to see how their respective tactics stack up against each other when they eventually go kinetic.
Except for the Black Militia guy who had 3 ND's in 2 minutes shooting 3 of his mates

So he may be fit but he is shit on his drills

Texarrse is flat unless you go to the furthest, unpopulated, desert areas used by human trafficking, drug smugglers.

It is also bleeding humid, June - September most days are around 90%+. Just walking out of the door to the post box at the end of the drive is like walking through a sauna fully clothed. If I am working outside it is not uncommon for me to shower and change 3, or 4, times in one day - I bulk buy cheap white t-shirts from Walmart for working in. Like this morning; I am laying some paving slabs at the moment so I had a wash, got dressed in work gear and laid some slabs, losing about 4 kgs of body weight in sweat, I finished at lunchtime and then had a shower and washed again.

Also, the way Texas developed means that most land in Texas is actually owned by someone other than the government. As a result there are precious few places to go for countryside yomps, and decent green-laning for motorcycles and 4x4's is unheard of. New Mexico and Colorado are the closest interesting places to go and they see a regular stream of Texan off-roaders and campers every weekend. I personally like New Mexico as I have a thing for deserts.

Beaches, Texas has beaches. Yeah, with more shit and pollution than most other beaches anywhere. The way the turds float out of the Mississippi River they hug the coastline and float on down past Houston hugging the shoreline all the way.

I like California, you know when you see a place and you just know it is right for you? Well, that is California for me. I like wandering along the ocean at sparrow fart and late in the evening, I like being up in the mountains, and out in the desert. I sometimes wonder with the mountains how many of the coastal dwelling urbanites have actually set foot on some, if any, of the peaks - some places you can just see that no one has ever been, its (sorry I hate the word, but I need to use it) awesome. I can't skydive anymore so I want to paraglide off the peaks in California, spend all day getting to the top and then step out and glide down.
I know someone who used to live in Dallas. He said the summers were so hot as to be unbearable for most people so they never went outside.

Summers were too hot, winter weather was unpleasant for some other reason (I can't recall what), but the spring and autumn were OK.

I know someone who used to live in Dallas. He said the summers were so hot as to be unbearable for most people so they never went outside.

Summers were too hot, winter weather was unpleasant for some other reason (I can't recall what), but the spring and autumn were OK.

Winter is not terrible, no snow, no ice, light fleece weather if you have lived in colder climes. Spring and Autumn are perfectly fine, especially when the local mummys all start wandering around wearing their yoga gear everywhere. I have a British acquaintance who works on the deli counter in the local version of Fortnum & Masons. During his lunch break he can be found sitting on the bench outside the establishment enjoying a coffe and the view of the mummy's all arriving to do their shopping. His actual words to me one time were, "I'd work here for nothing during the warm months".

Summer though is absolutely gopping, no other way to describe it. 100F+, 90%+ humidity. You go from your air conditioned house, into your air conditioned car, into an air conditioned office, or indoor shopping centre. There is so much latent heat that even the swimming pools heat up to 80F+ over the summer months. Of course everyone gets a pool to jump into to cool down over the summer, but to be honest no one bothers because it is just like jumping into a hot bath. We had 5 neighbours, nextdoor and behind us, everyone had a pool and after observation over a couple of summers I can categorically tell you people pay a fortune for them to be installed, and the running costs and maintenance, but they just do not get used.

For those who have done jungle warfare training I can tell you that working outside in Texarrse during the summer is like doing a jungle patrol exercise. Apart from shitting in placky bags, though building site porta-bogs are not much better - snakes seem to like the blue fluid the shit floats in.

Ordinarily I run away to California over the summer, sadly though, not this year.

Last edited:
And several states have no income tax.

Yup, and I live in one of them :)

Those figures you quoted are just insane. $3400 to register a $30K car? Jesus. We pay (I think) $29. Might be $25.

Diesel for my truck is $1.79 at Walmart. I think gas is $1.65. Property tax is less than $2K/yr. Sales tax is pretty high at 9.75%, but still less than half of most of Europe.

Those figures you quoted are just insane. $3400 to register a $30K car? Jesus. We pay (I think) $29. Might be $25.

Diesel for my truck is $1.79 at Walmart. I think gas is $1.65. Property tax is less than $2K/yr. Sales tax is pretty high at 9.75%, but still less than half of most of Europe.

Honestly - there are taxes on things I can’t even grasp. Cell phone taxes, lumber taxes, paint taxes, proposition 65 taxes. Go to palm spring on a weekend getaway and they have short term rental taxes, resort fees, environmental fees... it just goes on and on.

Saying that.. if you have pretty much near unlimited income/play money and Time - and you don’t need to drive into an office (staying off the local freeways)... it’s unreal. You leave after rush hour, no schedules to keep.

In four/five hours you can be in Vegas, AZ ( on the Colorado river/ Grand canyon) Yosemite, Mexico or fly to Hawaii.

You won’t have to mix with the riff raff and you get all the good.Me? I will come back to visit my rental property’s every year in the summer.

And don’t even get me Started on the insane gun regulations.

Funbaby

Old-Salt
Well that’s US fucked.

DDABFEFE-5895-4BBC-BA49-6258BB1AB83E.jpeg

Summer though is absolutely gopping, no other way to describe it. 100F+, 90%+ humidity. You go from your air conditioned house, into your air conditioned car, into an air conditioned office, or indoor shopping centre. There is so much latent heat that even the swimming pools heat up to 80F+ over the summer months. Of course everyone gets a pool to jump into to cool down over the summer, but to be honest no one bothers because it is just like jumping into a hot bath. We had 5 neighbours, nextdoor and behind us, everyone had a pool and after observation over a couple of summers I can categorically tell you people pay a fortune for them to be installed, and the running costs and maintenance, but they just do not get used.

For those who have done jungle warfare training I can tell you that working outside in Texarrse during the summer is like doing a jungle patrol exercise. Apart from shitting in placky bags, though building site porta-bogs are not much better - snakes seem to like the blue fluid the shit floats in.
Not a place for gingers then!

US...United States. A pun..
Ahh... I don’t see how we are fucked. It’s going to be a knock down drag out shit show and who knows who will win.

Not a place for gingers then!
I spent a summer doing sheet metal roofs there... Gingers in the midday sun, would have vanished like Thanos had just clicked his fingers!

moar gas for the dumpster fire.
Well that’s never been truer. Right now the hysterics on my social media proclaiming her to be the 2nd messiah and now it’s time to get on board with Biden. This could actually be very bad for Trumps re-election effort.

I think he was actually on about purchase tax and registration. The annual registration/road tax here in Texarrse is around $50 a year for a private vehicle.

The annual road test takes the bloke at the inspection centre less than 5 minutes, we chat about europe as he is of Italian heritage and off I go.

Petrol, I paid about $1.40 a gallon this week with my supermarket points being taken into consideration.

Our sales tax is around 6.25% with some counties adding a % or so just to cream a little more off.

Property tax in the new gaff is around $12K, compared to $20K in the last one.

The wifes spreadsheet model showed that we are still quids in living here compared to europe. She factored London in as she had to move several people over from London to New York and needed to show them that it was actually still cheaper here - if they lived in New jersey, or Connecticutt and not New York City. It is actually more expensive to live in NYC than it is to live in California.

Last edited:
Well that’s US fucked.

View attachment 505548

Was alright was RBG, she will be sorely missed.

The Mrs is/was a huge fan of hers and was only saying a couple of weeks ago that she thought the lady was clinging on the the mortal coil in order to spite the Orange One (hail his magnificence). Sadly, it looks as if she did not manage it.

RIP good lady.

Last edited:
Was was alright was RBG, she will be sorely missed.

The Mrs is/was a huge fan of hers and was only saying a couple of weeks ago that she thought the lady was clinging on the the mortal coil in order to spite the Orange One (hail his magnificence). Sadly, it looks as if she did not manage it.

RIP good lady.
And this is another thing odd about the US - celebrity supreme court judges. Few people in Canada could come up with the name of a single Canadian supreme court judge or tell you anything about them, while in the US Americans know who their judges are and how they lean politically on any particular case.

Personally, I find the idea of celebrity judges a bit disquieting, as it really not ought to matter who the judge is, the result should be the same regardless.

Tyk

LE
I think he was actually on about purchase tax and registration. The annual registration/road tax here in Texarrse is around $50 a year for a private vehicle.

The annual road test takes the bloke at the inspection centre less than 5 minutes, we chat about europe as he is of Italian heritage and off I go.

Petrol, I paid about $1.40 a gallon this week with my supermarket points being taken into consideration.

Our sales tax is around 6.25% with some counties adding a % or so just to cream a little more off.

Property tax in the new gaff is around $12K, compared to $20K in the last one.

The wifes spreadsheet model showed that we are still quids in living here compared to europe. She factored London in as she had to move several people over from London to New York and needed to show them that it was actually still cheaper here - if they lived in New jersey, or Connecticutt and not New York City. It is actually more expensive to live in NYC than it is to live in California.

The spreadsheets don't lie (assuming no errors in data) and if the quality of life is roughly equal (on personal terms of course) then the numbers are absolute :)

Good for you if you've got what you like, more power to your respective elbows I say.

And this is another thing odd about the US - celebrity supreme court judges. Few people in Canada could come up with the name of a single Canadian supreme court judge or tell you anything about them, while in the US Americans know who their judges are and how they lean politically on any particular case.

Personally, I find the idea of celebrity judges a bit disquieting, as it really not ought to matter who the judge is, the result should be the same regardless.

Indeed, I find the idea of politicised and public figure Judges that have to seek election so pander to their voters (below Supreme Court) thoroughly bizarre.
Your final paragraph is fundamental and I suspect in the USA it's more than a bit tricky in practice.

Last edited:

Latest Threads