Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

America - its all a bit odd...

Cromarty

Old-Salt
Sorry, that's bollocks. In my past life, weirdly, I was responsible for a weather-derivatives business for a bank who's footprint included Australia. Large deals, complex risk..........and lots of data. Australia is pretty much the gold-standard for accurate weather data going back to early Victorian days. It's extremely robust. We crunched the shit out of it, and I can tell you with certainty that eastern Australia is getting hotter and drier. Whether that's the result of anthropogenic climate change is a different question.

And when was this? The data you would have used is now being changed. I guess all the rain we've been getting isn't real. Funny thing in Australia, we have droughts and then it rains, a lot. If the historic data proves that warming is getting worse, why are the alarmists changing it? Hint, they need to change it to suit their religious zealotry.

ETA: Fix a typo.

Last edited:
Yes, he stayed within his area of expertise. 30 years studying the Great Barrier Reef. And got the sack for contradicting the alarmists. If you think that had nothing to do with the AGW sacred cow you are very naive.

As an observation, here we are on Arrse, a military forum in which ex and serving military chortle and criticise any civvy, journalist or lay pundit who call anything green a tank (and which of course is fine cos those in the services know more about it) and yet when it comes to matters such as climate change, the economy, politics, international trade etc., some here seem to know more than the scientists and the actual experts in their field.

Anyhow, Peter Ridd may be correct about the extent of coral reef die off, but as a casual observer of the climate debates and science, if he is denying climate change due to human activity I doubt he is correct based on the range of scientific consensus. And as far as I can tell, scientific consensus will evolve and change as new data becomes available, some of which is over the very long term.

And I don’t think it’s the scientists who are alarmist, they tend to be measured, couch their views within the parameters the data gives them and the nuanced considerations of it. What I think happens is some of the conclusions and predictions get picked up as news and the extreme predicted projections blown out of proportion and then sensationalised and made an alarmist’s cause without the understanding the underlying assumptions and scientific method. As well as something for conspiraloons and deniers to froth over.

By the way, Peter Ridd may be serving others interests.

In Australia, the Bureau of Meteorology is constantly "revising" our historical data to make it seem every hot day is hotter than any day in history.
Proof please.

And when was this? The data you would have used is now being changed. I guess all the rain we've been getting isn't real. Funny thing in Australia, we have draughts and then it rains, a lot. If the historic data proves that warming is getting worse, why are the alarmists changing it? Hint, they need to change it to suit their religious zealotry.

Do you think rain may be increasing since warmer air holds more water vapour?

One of the models I read was that snow may increase at high altitude because of this. So I may not need to dump my skis in a skip just yet.

Funny thing in Australia, we have draughts

You need one of these fella.

draught excluder.jpg

Cromarty

Old-Salt
Do you think rain may be increasing since warmer air holds more water vapour?

One of the models I read was that snow may increase at high altitude because of this. So I may not need to dump my skis in a skip just yet.

Its just what happens here. We have good times and bad, we are a land of droughts and flooding rains.

Its just what happens here. We have good times and bad, we are a land of droughts and flooding rains.

Of course.

And here in the UK it’s the land of fog and mist.

As a kid in the sixties I remember walking through snow to get to school for much of the winter, and we had slippy curries to slide on for days sometimes weeks on end. Now, I think we may have a few days, or maybe a week or two Of snow where I used to live just north of Manchester. Now here in the south, unless we get a beast from the east, and even then it lasts just a few days usually, it’s usually just frost most days.

Even the Polar Bears are noticing less snow.

But what you’re expounding was anecdotal, and so was I. When you watch the rain and feel the heat, do you measure the amounts and temperature and seeing the trends? Or for you is it, ‘yeah, hot, rainy, same as last year’ without noticing the trends?

I laugh when I check the price of my modest 1200 sq ft house in a not great neighborhood in Oakland. Just shy of million dollars, which is just insane. First time buyers are screwed.

I would get out of California like a shot if me and the wife could make the same money elsewhere. The Bay Area has really taken a nosedive for quality of life over the last five years.

On the other hand, if you got out of California then you wouldn't need to make the same money elsewhere? Money is only a tool to enable a desired quality-of-life after all.

A.N.Other

Old-Salt
I have read a number of articles like that one and seen quite a few videos.

I have to say that the black groups look a lot better organised than the white groups. They march in order, dress off properly, seem to have a common uniform etc. They mostly seem quite fit.

In contrast a lot of the white groups look like a bunch of shabby drunks just ambling around. And a lot of them are no stranger to the Big Mac and the taco.

Be interesting to see how their respective tactics stack up against each other when they eventually go kinetic.
Just a couple of opinions and analysis on the NFAC. If you put aside the second amendment bias of the content makers it's still informative viewing.

Grandmaster Jay (the NFAC founder) trying to explain their ND is comedy gold.

I have read a number of articles like that one and seen quite a few videos.

I have to say that the black groups look a lot better organised than the white groups. They march in order, dress off properly, seem to have a common uniform etc. They mostly seem quite fit.

In contrast a lot of the white groups look like a bunch of shabby drunks just ambling around. And a lot of them are no stranger to the Big Mac and the taco.

Be interesting to see how their respective tactics stack up against each other when they eventually go kinetic.
But can the BLM folks maneuver squad and platoon sized elements. Do they understand squad battle drills and basic movement techniques? Are they well practiced with their weapons? If you are basing professional knowledge on appearance and d&c then a high school marching band has all of these groups beat.

Cromarty

Old-Salt
Of course.

And here in the UK it’s the land of fog and mist.

As a kid in the sixties I remember walking through snow to get to school for much of the winter, and we had slippy curries to slide on for days sometimes weeks on end. Now, I think we may have a few days, or maybe a week or two Of snow where I used to live just north of Manchester. Now here in the south, unless we get a beast from the east, and even then it lasts just a few days usually, it’s usually just frost most days.

Even the Polar Bears are noticing less snow.

But what you’re expounding was anecdotal, and so was I. When you watch the rain and feel the heat, do you measure the amounts and temperature and seeing the trends? Or for you is it, ‘yeah, hot, rainy, same as last year’ without noticing the trends?

We have official records. They have been kept for over 100 years. It is only recently, when these records disprove the alarmists claims of "the hottest day/mibth/year on record" that the BoM has started changing history.

Bushfires, droughts and floods all recorded. There is nothing new about Australia's climate. It all comes in cycles.

But can the BLM folks maneuver squad and platoon sized elements. Do they understand squad battle drills and basic movement techniques? Are they well practiced with their weapons? If you are basing professional knowledge on appearance and d&c then a high school marching band has all of these groups beat.

Can they?

The elite Gravy Seals of Meal Team Six.

We have official records. They have been kept for over 100 years. It is only recently, when these records disprove the alarmists claims of "the hottest day/mibth/year on record" that the BoM has started changing history.

Bushfires, droughts and floods all recorded. There is nothing new about Australia's climate. It all comes in cycles.

If you want to prove your point, you’re going to have to demonstrate it and show your workings. Those making claims have the burden of proof.

Ok so in effect your saying the records for say, Mildura, Vic, are being changed ? I'm curious as to how written records on bits of paper are being changed - unless they were entered into a database and figures changed once there. Might be an idea to get the originals out and compare the data.

Latest Threads