Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

America - its all a bit odd...

so, it’s OK to go do a spot of spree shooting is all the victims are not saints?

From your cold, dead hands, eh?

My Dublin, CA house is a 1,250sqft, about $900k. I'm in a 4,200sqft here in TX, and paid $600.

So here's the thing. Yes, we were very surprised by the property taxes. However, the difference between 1.3% of $900k and 2.2% of $600k means that the actual out-of-pocket isn't that much different considering what you're getting for your money. Further, that's a set amount a year, no matter how much or less we work. If we decide to take on another job (I have three, in effect) or if the wife manages to work, our state tax bill remains the same. All that money goes straight into our pocket without further depletion outside of the Feds. And if you're renting, property tax isn't your problem anyway.

Further, I can't help but notice how much cheaper motoring is here. After I relocated, CA kept trying to get me to pay $600 to renew the family car. I got Texas plates and paid $55. Petrol's under 2/3 the price. I've three cars, you can imagine that that helps offset the property tax difference as well.

The only thing I genuinely miss around here is the asian food. Texans have absolutely no idea what constitutes good asian food. On the other hand, even the chain BBQ places are pretty reasonable, unlike in CA where... there aren't any.

The other thing that we immediately noticed when did our advance recon in Texas was that the state is building for expansion. There's a new dam going up near Dallas. New roads being built everywhere. California's still running predominantly 1960s infrastructure. No wonder the trains keep breaking down and it takes for ever to get from A to B around the Bay Area.

Double quote - thats not quite true. CA taxes everything.

I paid $4.90 a gallon of regular gas yesterday. I am paying $10.25 sales tax, 11% income tax and about a zillion other taxes on different products ( ammo, soda, beer, booze etc).

I am buying a used Toyota today (about $29k)... 3400 in registration fees and taxes.
Did you really mean 11% income tax.

Look up Professor Peter Ridd, formerly of James Cook University, to see what happens to a "denier".

I just did. I don’t think he was a denier of climate change, he was disputing the effect on coral reefs.

His suspension was upheld on appeal by the university.

Cromarty

Old-Salt
Unfortunately there are a few people with degrees from the University of YouTube on the alarmist side. However most of the alumni are found with the deniers.

The data is out there. The real argument, as I’ve now said a few times, is how much to spend on it, and who pays.

Most of your ‘argument’ is based on natural resource economics. Ever since Malthus the pessimists have said that, as population increases geometrically, it must come to a point where we run out of a particular resource. That was the debate in the ‘70s and it was bought to the fore by the oil crisis. The pessimists didn’t however account for the Law of Substitution - another economic process that transfers expenditure as prices rise. I’ve already explained this. Malthus has effectively taken a back seat for the moment but it’s an argument that might come up again if and when there are no more ways to substitute things. It’s pretty robust though - look at how restrictions on public transport in the UK led to an increase in bicycle sales.

But, and here’s the key point, you are conflating a 40-year old debate over natural resource shortages with a completely different debate that follows a completely different economic model, based on completely different data.

No. You ignore the constant alarmist predictions of doom that never materialise. Then, to get another government grant or headline, the new prediction must be even more dire.

In Australia, the Bureau of Meteorology is constantly "revising" our historical data to make it seem every hot day is hotter than any day in history.

There are numerous examples of lies and fake history being reported in the media and by leftard green politicians.

No. You ignore the constant alarmist predictions of doom that never materialise. Then, to get another government grant or headline, the new prediction must be even more dire.

In Australia, the Bureau of Meteorology is constantly "revising" our historical data to make it seem every hot day is hotter than any day in history.

There are numerous examples of lies and fake history being reported in the media and by leftard green politicians.

I did find it amusing the way the awkward fact most of the records were set over a century ago was ignored to appease Saint Greta of Thunderpants.

Cromarty

Old-Salt
I just did. I don’t think he was a denier of climate change, he was disputing the effect on coral reefs.

His suspension was upheld on appeal by the university.

Yes, he stayed within his area of expertise. 30 years studying the Great Barrier Reef. And got the sack for contradicting the alarmists. If you think that had nothing to do with the AGW sacred cow you are very naive.

Cromarty

Old-Salt
This bit I have no disagreement about.

You are however conflating this with proper scientific opinion.

No, I'm not. I've listened to the many predictions of these scientists over many years and none of them have come true.

They point to our unprecedented fire season (last summer in Oz). But there were earlier and bigger fires a hundred years ago. The real problem with bushfires is the lack of fuel management. The leftard greens have locked up the National Parks and stopped hazard reduction. They ignore expert advice and at least 2 Royal Commissions. The Aboriginals were managing the bush through fire for THOUSANDS of years.

Can you give examples of AGW?

I have read a number of articles like that one and seen quite a few videos.

I have to say that the black groups look a lot better organised than the white groups. They march in order, dress off properly, seem to have a common uniform etc. They mostly seem quite fit.

In contrast a lot of the white groups look like a bunch of shabby drunks just ambling around. And a lot of them are no stranger to the Big Mac and the taco.

Be interesting to see how their respective tactics stack up against each other when they eventually go kinetic.

Sorry, that's bollocks. In my past life, weirdly, I was responsible for a weather-derivatives business for a bank who's footprint included Australia. Large deals, complex risk..........and lots of data. Australia is pretty much the gold-standard for accurate weather data going back to early Victorian days. It's extremely robust. We crunched the shit out of it, and I can tell you with certainty that eastern Australia is getting hotter and drier. Whether that's the result of anthropogenic climate change is a different question.

Sorry, that's bollocks. In my past life, weirdly, I was responsible for a weather-derivatives business for a bank who's footprint included Australia. Large deals, complex risk..........and lots of data. Australia is pretty much the gold-standard for accurate weather data going back to early Victorian days. It's extremely robust. We crunched the shit out of it, and I can tell you with certainty that eastern Australia is getting hotter and drier. Whether that's the result of anthropogenic climate change is a different question.

There you go with facts.

Odd how they always negate wibble isn't it.

Cromarty

Old-Salt

And when was this? The data you would have used is now being changed. I guess all the rain we've been getting isn't real. Funny thing in Australia, we have droughts and then it rains, a lot. If the historic data proves that warming is getting worse, why are the alarmists changing it? Hint, they need to change it to suit their religious zealotry.

ETA: Fix a typo.

Last edited:
Yes, he stayed within his area of expertise. 30 years studying the Great Barrier Reef. And got the sack for contradicting the alarmists. If you think that had nothing to do with the AGW sacred cow you are very naive.

As an observation, here we are on Arrse, a military forum in which ex and serving military chortle and criticise any civvy, journalist or lay pundit who call anything green a tank (and which of course is fine cos those in the services know more about it) and yet when it comes to matters such as climate change, the economy, politics, international trade etc., some here seem to know more than the scientists and the actual experts in their field.

Anyhow, Peter Ridd may be correct about the extent of coral reef die off, but as a casual observer of the climate debates and science, if he is denying climate change due to human activity I doubt he is correct based on the range of scientific consensus. And as far as I can tell, scientific consensus will evolve and change as new data becomes available, some of which is over the very long term.

And I don’t think it’s the scientists who are alarmist, they tend to be measured, couch their views within the parameters the data gives them and the nuanced considerations of it. What I think happens is some of the conclusions and predictions get picked up as news and the extreme predicted projections blown out of proportion and then sensationalised and made an alarmist’s cause without the understanding the underlying assumptions and scientific method. As well as something for conspiraloons and deniers to froth over.

By the way, Peter Ridd may be serving others interests.

Latest Threads