America - its all a bit odd...

Some truth in the NRA wasting millions.. Sure, its a billion dollar company.

Its money from members dues, supporter donations, products and probably some places i cant think off.. But the majority is from private members. How the AG thinks she is going to dissolve it... I dont get it.
She is just giving more ammunition to Trump. Less than 90 days from the election. Suit and counter suit for a lengthy legal procedure.

But this has to have the left screaming.

quadrapiper

Clanker
Isn't she an elected official, like all AGs are? Which is what gets me about the whole Septic system of law enforcement (although I am happy to be corrected). You don't appear to have to apply for a job, get interviewed and then selected to fill the post like the UK appears to do it, but you get elected into the position for a period then have to get re-elected to stay in post.

It just politicises the whole thing too much. Yes we may moan that the head of the Met only got her job because we suspect they were filling a minority box, but electing the head of the Met would lead to whoever kissed the most babies of colour and mouthed the popular slogans of the day getting the job.

Have I missed the point completely with the US system? If BLM are correct and they are being oppressed then why do so many police chiefs, AGs and Mayors at least appear to be POC?
The key consideration in the latter, if I understand the situation, is that US police are disinclined to respond to direction in a way no British or Canadian organization would tolerate, have acquired the notion that they (as a collective) have some sort of right to a voice regarding, and should indeed be the pre-eminent voice, in matters of public order, and are therefore, even if directed, prodded, guided, or whatever by lawful authority, inclined to do whatever they want. Their various unions comment on matters enormously far outside the scope of "labour issues," and generally seem to act as an obstacle to any sort of real reform. Finally, they've developed a clannish and self-isolating culture, not helped in some jurisdictions by the vast majority of the force living well outside their own jurisdictions.

I'm betting the elective nature of judges and IIRC DAs etc. doesn't help: at first glance, neither's going to do well politically by doing anything but looking busy Protecting Decent Citizens, and whatever official or unofficial feedback occurs with the local cops will reflect their ambitions.

On the union front - I'm in one, and very much pro-organized labour - their needs to be a clear definition of what isn't actually the union's business, and one item very much meeting that standard is "if the employer tells you collectively to go ahead and suck (as you see it) at your job."

Its money from members dues, supporter donations, products and probably some places i cant think off.. But the majority is from private members. How the AG thinks she is going to dissolve it... I dont get it.
A quick Google of the question turned up the following two articles which explain it somewhat. I'm not that familiar with either site, but they seem to have more details than most news stories.

Apparently the New York attorney general has the authority to order not-for-profit organisations registered in the state to dissolve and cease operations.
Seeking to dissolve the NRA is the most aggressive sanction James could have sought against the not-for-profit organization, which James has jurisdiction over because it is registered in New York. James has a wide range of authorities relating to nonprofits in the state, including the authority to force organizations to cease operations or dissolve. The NRA is all but certain to contest it.
The current executives would be required to pay back the money they allegedly stole from the NRA, and they would be prohibited from serving on the board of any charity in New York.
The lawsuit seeks to dissolve the NRA in its entirety and asks the court to order LaPierre and other current and former executives to pay back unlawful profits. It also seeks to remove LaPierre and Frazer from the organization's leadership and prevent the four named individuals from ever serving again on the board of a charity in New York.
The top guy in the NRA has been running the organisation for nearly 30 years, and has allegedly funnelled millions of dollars of NRA funds into his own pocket.
LaPierre, who also serves as CEO, has held the top position at the organization for nearly 30 years. In the attorney general's lawsuit he is accused of using charitable funds for personal gain, including a post-employment contract valued at more than $17 million that was not approved by the NRA's board of directors.
Other executives were also allegedly involved in looting funds for themselves. I won't bother listing the examples in the story, as there are so many of them.

There are apparently two separate organisations, the NRA, and the NRA Foundation. The NRA are registered in New York, while the NRA Foundation are registered in Washington DC. This is why the Washington DC attorney general is involved as well. Some of the case revolves around how money is shuffled between the two through loans and "management fees", with the NRA Foundation allegedly acted as a financial sock puppet for the NRA itself.
The NRA Foundation operates independently from the NRA, but the lawsuit alleges this independence was breached and the Foundation’s Board of Trustees failed in their oversight duty by overseeing millions of dollars in loans to the NRA.

The lawsuit also cites the Foundation’s board approval of a dramatic increase of nearly $6 million in management fees to the NRA.
According to the following sources from last year, the NRA's finances are in bad shape, as spending has risen and income fallen. The money is being spent on rapidly rising administration expenses, while things like training programs and political lobbying have been cut back.
Financial documents show the NRA is living 'paycheck to paycheck,' and ended 2018 $10.8 million in the red
A leaked NRA letter said the group's legal bills were 'draining NRA cash at mindboggling speed' and 'pose an existential threat'
The National Rifle Association's 2018 financial report shows that the gun-rights organization has spent increasing amounts on administrative costs while slashing its outlays on training programs and political advocacy, according to The Washington Post, which obtained the financial documents.

The documents, prepared by its external auditors, indicate the NRA's spending has increased faster than its revenues have risen and that it has run a deficit for the past three years — including a $10.8 million shortfall in 2018.
According to an accountant, the NRA are like "a person living paycheck to paycheck."
Brian Mittendorf, an Ohio State University accounting professor who examined the 2018 report, told The Post that the documents depicted the organization like "a person living paycheck to paycheck."
According to leaked documents, the NRA faces "an existential threat to the financial stability" of the organisation.
The National Rifle Association has accumulated extraordinary legal bills that "pose an existential threat to the financial stability" of the organization, according to internal documents that were leaked online.
Again, I'll point out that the above reports of financial problems date from more than a year ago, so it isn't something caused by the pandemic.

A thorough audit may turn up a lot more.

Isn’t it listed as a charitable organization rather then a private company. I’m sure the rules are a bit different in that case.

As @Steamboat says the timing is interesting as you would think it will polarize public opinion both ways

Edit. Just read @terminal post. So it’s a not for profit organization.

Last edited:
Isn’t it listed as a charitable organization rather then a private company. I’m sure the rules are a bit different in that case.

As @Steamboat says the timing is interesting as you would think it will polarize public opinion both ways

Edit. Just read @terminal post. So it’s a not for profit organization.
It is a polarizing course to take and the AG knows it. But the consequences have the potential to come back and bite her as the actions of one state have the ability to impact people in others.

A quick Google of the question turned up the following two articles which explain it somewhat. I'm not that familiar with either site, but they seem to have more details than most news stories.

Apparently the New York attorney general has the authority to order not-for-profit organisations registered in the state to dissolve and cease operations.

The current executives would be required to pay back the money they allegedly stole from the NRA, and they would be prohibited from serving on the board of any charity in New York.

The top guy in the NRA has been running the organisation for nearly 30 years, and has allegedly funnelled millions of dollars of NRA funds into his own pocket.

Other executives were also allegedly involved in looting funds for themselves. I won't bother listing the examples in the story, as there are so many of them.

There are apparently two separate organisations, the NRA, and the NRA Foundation. The NRA are registered in New York, while the NRA Foundation are registered in Washington DC. This is why the Washington DC attorney general is involved as well. Some of the case revolves around how money is shuffled between the two through loans and "management fees", with the NRA Foundation allegedly acted as a financial sock puppet for the NRA itself.

According to the following sources from last year, the NRA's finances are in bad shape, as spending has risen and income fallen. The money is being spent on rapidly rising administration expenses, while things like training programs and political lobbying have been cut back.
Financial documents show the NRA is living 'paycheck to paycheck,' and ended 2018 $10.8 million in the red
A leaked NRA letter said the group's legal bills were 'draining NRA cash at mindboggling speed' and 'pose an existential threat'

According to an accountant, the NRA are like "a person living paycheck to paycheck."

According to leaked documents, the NRA faces "an existential threat to the financial stability" of the organisation.

Again, I'll point out that the above reports of financial problems date from more than a year ago, so it isn't something caused by the pandemic.

A thorough audit may turn up a lot more.
I am and have been an NRA member for several years - I know the good and bad. And Its supposed to live paycheck to paycheck...its a non profit.

If she thinks not having the NRA registered in NY is a worthwhile use of the taxpayers time - fine.

Legal bills are supposed to be where the bulk of my donations goes...Thats what I want it spent on. Not Wayne La'pierres fancy suits.

At the end of the day, the NRA is going nowhere and this will probably galvanise some more Trump voters.

Last edited:
I am and have been an NRA member for several years - I know the good and bad. And Its supposed to live paycheck to paycheck...its a non profit.

If she thinks not having the NRA registered in NY is a worthwhile use of the taxpayers time - fine.

Legal bills are supposed to be where the bulk of my donations goes...Thats what I want it spent on. Not Wayne La'pierres fancy suits.

At the end of the day, the NRA is going nowere and this will probably galvanise some more Trump voters.
Well going after certain members wouldn't quite galvanize people as trying to disband the organization itself. But the other side knows this. The smart play would be to cut the head off the snake and throw it off guard. Not try to kill it and yet again raise the alarm and end up increasing the funding and membership for the organization...

It is a polarizing course to take and the AG knows it. But the consequences have the potential to come back and bite her as the actions of one state have the ability to impact people in others.
It will be interesting to see how that plays out. If they are registered and administered as a head office in New York State and it’s dissolved you would think that would be curtains nationwide. I suppose nothing would stop some new group registering and taking up where it left off, but the current directors would be barred from being involved in any way. There’s a business opportunity for a Wyoming shooting club. :)

It will be interesting to see how that plays out. If they are registered and administered as a head office in New York State and it’s dissolved you would think that would be curtains nationwide. I suppose nothing would stop some new group registering and taking up where it left off, but the current directors would be barred from being involved in any way. There’s a business opportunity for a Wyoming shooting club. :)
Wyoming is a very pro 2A state. I somehow think we drive the progressive crowd rather insane.

Sounds to me like the AG is not only, (and rightly so), going for the bent buggers at the top but also looking out for the interests of the paying members, like SocalSapper. So fair play to her. The only ones who should be howling are the bent buggers at the top, the ordinary members should be standing with the AG.

But there again, it's 'murica...

According to the CBC story (see my post above), the charges against the NRA follow an 18 month investigation.

There was a huge internal battle in the NRA as some top people tried to get an independent review of expenses and operations. At the 2019 NRA annual meeting (according to Google this was in April 2019) the people trying for the independent review were forced out and the people named in the current investigation remained in control.

I suspect that what happened was that the New York attorney general became aware of the situation due to the above, and that when the insiders pushing for an audit got kicked out they either went to the New York attorney general with everything they knew or were contacted and asked to cooperate. The timing sounds about right for that, given the time for the preliminaries to the 2019 annual meeting and the time that has passed since.

If this is correct, then the New York attorney general probably has received information on what closets all the skeletons are hidden in. There may be plans for issuing criminal charges against individuals as well.

I suspect that the threats to dissolve the NRA are intended to prevent them from laying all the blame on a few scapegoats, firing them, and then trying to carry on as before. I am going to guess that the New York attorney general's plan involves getting a court to appoint an independent supervisor who can do a thorough house cleaning in management, recover as many (allegedly) stolen assets as possible, and then keep an eye on their operations for a good number of years to come.

One way of doing this by the way might actually involve dissolving the existing NRA, forming a new NRA with a new charter, transferring the mailing list and any remaining assets to the new NRA (assuming there are any assets as opposed to just debts), hiring the existing low level staff, appointing new managers, and leaving the current top level people to fight over the assets in the empty husk of the old NRA. The reason for doing this is that the top executives seem to have written themselves some very lucrative golden handshakes (a $17 million post-employment contract is one example) and consulting contracts for family members, and they won't give up that sort of money without a fight. Doing the equivalent of bankruptcy might let the "new" NRA walk away from all that.
Great, they could call the new one the "Provisional NRA", or the "Continuity NRA"....

Note, I think the NRA are great, they provide a wonderful service of winding up the nervous nellies who don't like guns

The key consideration in the latter, if I understand the situation, is that US police are disinclined to respond to direction in a way no British or Canadian organization would tolerate, have acquired the notion that they (as a collective) have some sort of right to a voice regarding, and should indeed be the pre-eminent voice, in matters of public order,
As the subject matter experts, they have the usually informed opinion of public order policing as opposed to say asking the crack gang in the Cabrini Green project of Chicago, or the CPUSA, the ladies garment workers union or some redneck in a trailer in Arkansas

I mean one doesn't ask a passenger how to fly a 747 or drive a bus, one expects the pilot and driver to be the experts

Sounds to me like the AG is not only, (and rightly so), going for the bent buggers at the top but also looking out for the interests of the paying members, like SocalSapper. So fair play to her. The only ones who should be howling are the bent buggers at the top, the ordinary members should be standing with the AG.

But there again, it's 'murica...
I seriously doubt she cares about the members since they are gun owners and NY state (and NYC) is traditionally hostile to gun owners. The First US Gun laws in NY were all about keeping the free Negro, the Oi'rish and the Eyetalian Anarchist, Dago Black Hand mobsters from being armed because the WASP's were frightened of uprisings.

I seriously doubt she cares about the members since they are gun owners and NY state (and NYC) is traditionally hostile to gun owners. The First US Gun laws in NY were all about keeping the free Negro, the Oi'rish and the Eyetalian Anarchist, Dago Black Hand mobsters from being armed because the WASP's were frightened of uprisings.
I think you've proven my point.

'murica, as logical and sensible as a woman on the blob.

My arteries are hardening just reading that description! Oh, but it contains fruit, so it must be healthy.

My arteries are hardening just reading that description! Oh, but it contains fruit, so it must be healthy.
It is a great selection. I was thinking about dropping 30 plus on bourbon maple syrup but just decided to go to DT’s and get a bottle of whisky. #Slackingsaturday

'murica, as logical and sensible as a woman on the blob.
I gave you a funny for that line above. That's one I can use at a later date.

Don't know old you are but if you're around the same age as Steamy there, I'd put money on it that you'll probably live longer. Then later when the Reaper comes calling it's off to meet your maker in the sound knowledge that at least you died healthy:)