America - its all a bit odd...

America is also a very beautiful country to visit if one can take the time to see it instead of visiting the usual overpriced tourist haunts.
I'm hoping at some point in the future to spend time wandering around Yosemite National Park. All the pictures I've seen have been nice at a minimum and often absolutely jaw-dropping.

Tastes like they still do...hence why they ladle the sugar in...
The do make the unsweetened stuff as well mate, it's what herself drinks. I tell her she doesn't need the sugar because she's sweet enough, she then tells me to shut up and fcuk off and let her enjoy her drink.

I'm hoping at some point in the future to spend time wandering around Yosemite National Park. All the pictures I've seen have been nice at a minimum and often absolutely jaw-dropping.
For some really awesome scenery then the American North West such as Oregon and Washington States take some beating. Also the Rocky Mountain States are quite breathtaking as well.

Give Wyoming a miss though, it's a complete dump it is. whistle.jpg

As I've said in the past, I live up in the Rockies and I never get tired of it.

I don't understand why someone would claim to have cancer/Terminal Illness when they don't but there you are eh?
Beats brassing up a school?

@Sam The Bam Me and my late wife got married in Vegas, 2000.
I had spent a period of time over there, both of us didn’t want the big traditional wedding, some of the Americans we interacted with even back then were pricks, just like over here, most were awesome. It was just me and my wife at the little white chapel in Vegas, my wife wore her white wedding dress she sought out and bought from a boutique in Newcastle, which was a surprise as it cost us a small fortune.

Back to the wedding, we planned on the usual witnesses required, which they were, I was surprised to find that a couple of mates turned up, all USAF, knowing me and my wife they rocked up in civvies, well that was enough, more than enough. The same mates turned up and helped me carry her coffin.

America has a reputation, good, bad.

Those friends, are friends for life.

@Sam The Bam Me and my late wife got married in Vegas, 2000.
I had spent a period of time over there, both of us didn’t want the big traditional wedding, some of the Americans we interacted with even back then were pricks, just like over here, most were awesome. It was just me and my wife at the little white chapel in Vegas, my wife wore her white wedding dress she sought out and bought from a boutique in Newcastle, which was a surprise as it cost us a small fortune.

Back to the wedding, we planned on the usual witnesses required, which they were, I was surprised to find that a couple of mates turned up, all USAF, knowing me and my wife they rocked up in civvies, well that was enough, more than enough. The same mates turned up and helped me carry her coffin.

America has a reputation, good, bad.

Those friends, are friends for life.
And your post shows or proves what?

In the past month or so there have been mass shooting in the UK but not a cheep out of you about any of them. TBH I really couldn't care what you think of The United States or it's people simply because what you know about both probably wouldn't fill the back of a postage stamp.

Keep making dumb statements like your one at 14,185, then you'll keep getting dumb ratings from me.

When I first moved across I lived in the US for a short while before heading north. I lived in rural Massachusetts and it struck me that not a lot of Americans had travelled that much, not very worldly wise. Looking at the evening news on the telly it was very much focused on the US and world happenings that related to it. Surprisingly few people had any interest in goings on outside.

At the start of the thread I related a conversation where someone asked what part of England I was from. Answering Hampshire they immediately asked “New Hampshire” I said no the old one. They were surprised I think that there was one.

Yosemite is fantastic, you won't be disappointed.
I have been about four times but I always choose to stay just outside the National Park. The closer you get, the more it costs.
We've stayed at the same B&B 3 times now and it's the mutts nuts. Cook your own stuff at the BBQ area in the evening or go out locally. It's not Vegas, you just don't bump into other humans.
I'll send you the name of the place if you are interested.
Getting to Yosemite as a single destination is a pain as the nearest major airport is SFO. We have always done a San Francisco/Lake Tahoe/Death valley- Vegas then stop off at Yosemite for a few days on the way back to SFO for the return flight. Sort of driving around the Sierra Nevada as per the attached.
We take two weeks to do this but you can adjust, obviously and we have done it the other way around.
Take some time on the i95 from Tahoe to Vegas and a camera. Some jaw dropping scenery, just don't do it in a camper van if you have just let the kids watch 'The hills have eyes' video.

This is where we have stayed for Yosemite previously :

This is the basic route for a long haul:
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Yosemite is fantastic, you won't be disappointed.
I have been about four times but I always choose to stay just outside the National Park. The closer you get, the more it costs.
We've stayed at the same B&B 3 times now and its the mutts nuts. Cook your own stuff at the BBQ area in the evening or go out locally. It's not Vegas, you just don't bump into other humans.
I'll send you the name of the place if you are interested.
Getting to Yosemite as a single destination is a pain as the nearest major airport is SFO. We have always done a San Francisco/Lake Tahoe/Death valley- Vegas then stop off at Yosemite for a few days on the way back to SFO for the return flight. Sort of driving around the Sierra Nevada as per the attached.
We took two weeks to do this but you can adjust, obviously.
Take some time on the i95 from Tahoe to Vegas and a camera. Some jaw dropping scenery, just don't do it in a camper van if you have just let the kids watch 'The hills have eyes'

This is where we have stayed previously for Yosemite:
I might check that place out, thanks for the tip!

I lived in rural Massachusetts and it struck me that not a lot of Americans had travelled that much, not very worldly wise.
I get what you are saying and I agree to an extent. Saying that though given the size of the US and the amenities it has to offer, I can also understand why a lot of Americans have their vacations in the US. I've also heard it said by Americans that why would they want to go somewhere abroad were they are neither wanted but merely tolerated.

At the start of the thread I related a conversation where someone asked what part of England I was from. Answering Hampshire they immediately asked “New Hampshire” I said no the old one. They were surprised I think that there was one.
In all fairness, when I first moved over here I certainly couldn't tell you much about the country, it's people or the locations and names of many of it's States, cities and towns.

I might check that place out, thanks for the tip!
It's outside the NP so doesn't attract the big tourist price tags. Two families stayed in our part of the lodge on one occasion, one upstairs, one down and pricing is all based on timing and space. It's a big old sprawling wooden building, we always feel out of place because we didn't have a Stesen and some chaps to hand.
The family team that own and run it, have been brilliant..

FYI, we last stayed there as a family of 6 in 2016

Last edited:

Ritch

LE
For some really awesome scenery then the American North West such as Oregon and Washington States take some beating. Also the Rocky Mountain States are quite breathtaking as well.

Give Wyoming a miss though, it's a complete dump it is. View attachment 489258

As I've said in the past, I live up in the Rockies and I never get tired of it.
Agreed about Washington state. The views as you drive on US Route 2, heading east towards Stevens Pass will stay with me for a long time. I can't wait for the virus to disappear so I can head back and stay with friends.

Snoqualmie Falls in full flow is an amazing sight too.

“They murdered him. Shot him in his back walking down the street. Oh they told them to freeze, ok put your hands up. And they did, and they shot him trying to put his phone in his pocket,” said Deseanae Wells, the victim’s cousin.

Yeah right, he was also probably a good boy who loved his Moma and was going to start college soon as well. Also why in hells teeth are the media calling this POS a victim when he's anything but.

When the Detroit Chief of Police was giving his Statement one of the reporters asked if the Police couldn't have used less lethal methods. Here is the story with body cam footage.

Shouldn't this be in the Darwin awards thread?
Lots of trigger happy US cops.
Discharge pop gun at trigger happy cops.
Dead.
I mean its a bit of a forgone conclusion isn't it?

And a tad over kill as well, unless there were more incoming rounds it looks like lado is dropped by first two shots and nearest cop kicks the gun away and is on him.
T'others run forward apparently still shooting to the extent the one who shot him takes cover behind a car.

Shouldn't this be in the Darwin awards thread?
Lots of trigger happy US cops.
Discharge pop gun at trigger happy cops.
Dead.
I mean its a bit of a forgone conclusion isn't it?

And a tad over kill as well, unless there were more incoming rounds it looks like lado is dropped by first two shots and nearest cop kicks the gun away and is on him.
T'others run forward apparently still shooting to the extent the one who shot him takes cover behind a car.
US Police departments fail to realise the Keystone Kops were comedy’s, not training films.

In my few visits to the states, and on various adventures with US forces, I have been asked quite a few times if I am Australian. I have also been encouraged to 'Say something, anything' by American women as they love my accent. They're not made of wood you know.

About 40 years ago, my mother was visiting her older sister, (A WW2 GI Bride) in silver springs Maryland, while in town shopping in one of the bigger stores, she was surrounded by locals, who all commented on her accent, and all "Just love the way you speak" My mother has perfect oxford diction, and with the Please, thank you, and may I, preceding all requests, she told me that they thought it was " Just wonderful" She had the same experience several years later in New York at Macys and Bloomingdales, and was even invited to party's by strangers . Mum is 88.

I genuinely cannot remember a mass shooting being reported in the UK - could you provide a link a the news story?

I live in London, so on balance it probably wasn't too far away...
Deflection and fake news from the other side of the pond; who'd have thunk it. The last I can think of was Moss Side in 2018, with fortunately, no fatalities IIRC.

What is is with your presumptions about American IQs? You’ve made several references to it now.

The UK is two points ahead of the USA in terms of average IQ. It says more about your own IQ if you think that is a significant differential.

The joy of averages is that they hide so much.

What is the population of the UK? What is the population of the US? To get the same average out of the bell curve (which for IQ is 100) means that there are more people on both sides of the curve in the US than in the UK.

Don't know where the US keep the clever ones, all we tend to see is the mouth breathers....

Latest Threads