America - its all a bit odd...

Yeah but you lot get to start summer holidays in June when the English kids are still working until mid-July and you get a longer Christmas break to recover after Hogmanay ;)

At least the Scots seem to have the same dates across the country (or that's what I hear from relatives), the sassenachs can all have different holidays depending on local councils and now academies can do what they want as well providing the 195 days per year are met. Hampshire tried moving their half term dates several years ago to give teachers the opportunity to get a foreign holiday at off-peak prices, the moaning from some people whose kids went to school in Surrey or Berkshire (who still had normal half term dates) was unbelievable.

Vaguely on topic, I remember Jonesy posting something about Wyoming teachers' holidays. I think they only worked about 170 days a year from memory.
Yes, that is true, and the first two weeks in July are a bonus as holiday prices are normally lower as a result.

Holiday dates do vary a little by LA area in Scotland. Some LA’s have a one week shorter summer holiday and two weeks instead of one in October. This is mainly rural LA’s and is known in Perthshire as the tattie holiday, as the historical reason was so the kids could help with the potato harvest.

Something I find odd about America, Trump is such a controversial and extreme character, the opposition to him seems so widespread and passionate and yet all they can come up with is Jo Biden, 78.

I mean is that really it, Trump or Biden? Very odd.

Something I find odd about America, Trump is such a controversial and extreme character, the opposition to him seems so widespread and passionate and yet all they can come up with is Jo Biden, 78.

Look at last time, Trump and Hilary Clinton.

Quite agree. I suppose because it is a race between what the rest of the World's democracies would regard as two right wing parties there really isn't much of an ideological divide to get worked up over.

Just a change of jockeys on what will remain pretty much the same horse whatever the result.

Still odd tho.

Are you here in the U.S? Widespread opposition? I can see Trump Flags from my office, here in California... I havent seen a Biden flag. I cant remember one...

Can Biden?
Again, my point exactly. Trump lost the popular vote last time around and, certainly from here, he doesn't seem to have done much to expand his base so opposition to him can't be in low numbers, but the best the Dems can manage is Biden.

Perhaps the vested interests are so entrenched a candidate likely to bring real change is nobbled from the start.

As I also said, again looking from here, you can't really fit a fag paper between them ideologically so 'same horse different jockey ' seems to sum it up, for me anyway.

Latest Threads