America - its all a bit odd...

You're coming across as a ranting loony who is desperate to find issue with the US no matter what the subject and unable to articulate a sensible opinion. The frequent accusations of Nazism aren't helping that perception.
When do the kids in the UK go back to school?

The 3rd of September allegedly.
Then hopefully we'll see less bone postings providing smartphones are switched off during classes. Our local school, all phones have to be left in the students lockers, no phones allowed in class and emergency and informational calls for students have to go through the school admin office.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Then hopefully we'll see less bone postings providing smartphones are switched off during classes. Our local school, all phones have to be left in the students lockers, no phones allowed in class and emergency and informational calls for students have to go through the school admin office.
Fuck me, try that over here and there'll be riots! Kids here are glued to their phones even to the point of walking down the street permanently hunched over and God forbid one of the little cunts should bump into you, it's your fault for not watching where they were going!

Fuck me, try that over here and there'll be riots! Kids here are glued to their phones even to the point of walking down the street permanently hunched over and God forbid one of the little cunts should bump into you, it's your fault for not watching where they were going!
It's been that way since my lads were in school. I can only speak for the places I've lived since I moved here, the parents support it and the kids get it. It's school, you're here to learn and that message will still be there at break time.

I get what you are saying though. Covid-19 hasn't hit these parts around here bad (no infected in our county) As I was passing a bar come grub place a couple of days back, all the folks sat outside weren't talking to each other, all of them had the head down looking at their phones.

Hey I'm old now, WTF do I know! Each to their own and whatever makes them happy. This evening the old lady and I were sat out on the back deck ripping the piss out of each other, she was half pissed on the wine, it was a good laugh.

Yeah well America may be odd but in some things it has it's shit together.

When do the kids in the UK go back to school?
As you should remember, there isn't one date for the UK. The English (and Welsh?) schools go back in September, but in Scotland the current date for restarting is 11th August.

As you should remember, there isn't one date for the UK. The English (and Welsh?) schools go back in September, but in Scotland the current date for restarting is 11th August.
Jeez Walt. I have difficulty remembering what I did yesterday, I left the UK over three decades ago. C'mon mate gimme a break here. :?

I should ask in NAAFI really but what size in UK is a US jacket size 42? apparently the 42 is nothing to do with chest size?

42 is related to their IQ,........ its also the answer to the ultimate question...allegedly. ( And coincidentally, the number shown on the example of a soxmis car number plate, BFG form 66 (ref Apr 75).....notalot of people know that...Michael!

Jeez Walt. I have difficulty remembering what I did yesterday, I left the UK over three decades ago. C'mon mate gimme a break here. :?
I'm no spring chicken either, but I still remember the lingering sense of indignation at having to go back to school mid-August while the telly was still full of what the English kids were doing on their holidays.

We do have that over here. At my son's school phones have to be in lockers, unless you ask to go and use it for an emergency. At my daughter's school they are allowed to have them in a bag or blazer pocket but they have to be off.

Yeah well America may be odd but in some things it has it's shit together.
If only you could get the kids to leave their firearms at home, or at least in a gun locker at school.

(A lot of schools around the world do the same thing with mobile phones. The different schools that my niblings go to in Aus all have similiar rules)

Same in most UK schools, the exception being some schools in poorer areas who may decide to let kids use their phones at points in the lesson for researching content etc. Even then unless they have specifically been told to use their phones for a task they should remain silent / switched off and out of sight.

My current place will confiscate any phone seen, regardless of whether it is being used or not, and parents have to come in to collect them from reception.

I'm no spring chicken either, but I still remember the lingering sense of indignation at having to go back to school mid-August while the telly was still full of what the English kids were doing on their holidays.
Yeah but you lot get to start summer holidays in June when the English kids are still working until mid-July and you get a longer Christmas break to recover after Hogmanay ;)

At least the Scots seem to have the same dates across the country (or that's what I hear from relatives), the sassenachs can all have different holidays depending on local councils and now academies can do what they want as well providing the 195 days per year are met. Hampshire tried moving their half term dates several years ago to give teachers the opportunity to get a foreign holiday at off-peak prices, the moaning from some people whose kids went to school in Surrey or Berkshire (who still had normal half term dates) was unbelievable.

Vaguely on topic, I remember Jonesy posting something about Wyoming teachers' holidays. I think they only worked about 170 days a year from memory.

Does anyone actually use sock suspenders? They look like gateway clothing to becoming a transvestite.
Morning @Ortholith,
If he hasn't been mentioned.
Screenshot_20200708-164115_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Then there's this of course.
Screenshot_20200708-164432_DuckDuckGo.jpg

There's probably phot's of him wearing make-up and a dress but I couldn't be arrsed.
Little Ern'., used to do most of he drag but don't know if he wore sock suspenders.

E2a: Corrected mong spelling.

Last edited:
If only you could get the kids to leave their firearms at home, or at least in a gun locker at school.
And ruin their street cred bruv, nah will never happen innit.

Herself went back to Saginaw in Michigan for a high school reunion a number of years back. The school she went to is now in a predominately black area of the city. She told me later about the walk through metal detectors and the school security guards that are used.

A very far cry from the days of when she attended school there.

Funny thing about that. From the 1940's-70's there were a great many HS rifle teams Even in NYC and students regularly traveled to schools with a .22 rifle

yet no mass school shootings occured as they do today though the odd example exists*

there are still some today

* 1949- 16-year old LaVon Cain of DuSable High School was shot to death at the school after a group of female students began shooting at another group of female students. The shooting was over domestic disputes that had occurred days prior. 19-year-old Edwina Howard and two other teenage girls were charged in the shooting. The shooting was noted as one of the first fatal shootings in a Chicago public school.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads