America - its all a bit odd...

You need to explain that to a large percentage of your fellow citizens who seem to think that it simply means 'Murica'
Sure as soon as you explain to your peeps you lot didnt pay Lend lease back for 60 years, but were paying back the UK requested Anglo American Loan

Penguin142

War Hero
Sure as soon as you explain to your peeps you lot didn't pay Lend lease back for 60 years, but were paying back the UK requested Anglo American Loan
For "Liberty"ships, half of which sank on their first voyage according to my late father. Paid with all the decent meat available, our primary school lunches rotated between liver and kidneys for years, at least we had our free milk to keep us going.
G,I,s, over paid, over fed, over sexed and over here.

For "Liberty"ships, half of which sank on their first voyage according to my late father. Paid with all the decent meat available, our primary school lunches rotated between liver and kidneys for years, at least we had our free milk to keep us going.
Wot about SPAM then? :?

WW II SPAM.jpg

except half the ships didn’t sink on their first trip.
they proved to be extremely sound ships, many of which served into the 60’s.
and meat? We didn’t export meat to America, because we were importing vast tonnages of Fray Bentos from South America and lamb from New Zealand.

Your daddy was wrong at best

out of 2,710 made
12 sank due to faulty welding
2,400 Were still afloat on VJ day

philc

LE
Just how long is it till we have sporadic outbreaks of armed battles on the streets?

For "Liberty"ships, half of which sank on their first voyage according to my late father.
He may have been getting confused between the dozen that sank, and the 1500 instances of brittle fractures that were reported to have occurred.

Your daddy was wrong at best

out of 2,710 made
12 sank due to faulty welding
2,400 Were still afloat on VJ day
technically, most were lost to cold weather embrittlement of the steel.
the cracks weren’t caused by the welding, the welded construction just allowed the cracks to spread easily compared to a riveted ship.
Main cause was cracking around The hatches. Quickly solved with reinforcing plates around the hatch coamings

The majority of Americans Are like this, despite what the media wants us to think. I wonder why we attract the gun jeasus nuts on this forum?

He may have been getting confused between the dozen that sank, and the 1500 instances of brittle fractures that were reported to have occurred.
Agreed. As the US used liberty ships too, I'm damn sure they would have kicked off if half sank on their first voyage without seeing combat. That they suffered heavy losses due to enemy action - absolutely. Entirely possible that some only made one voyage as a result, but not half of them sinking due to poor construction.

I have worked for four American companies and have met thousands of Americans across the world. That video reminded me of them. hard working, dedicated people doing the best they can for themselves and their families.

Almost universally they were polite, pleasant and charming. Out of that number only two were twats (one was ex-USMC who walted about serving in Korea and having a hard time at the Frozen Chosin. His lovely wife told me he had never been further west than San Diego and that he was a very silly man. The other was a sales manager who looked as if he had stepped out of The Sopranos and acted like he was a made man. He wasn't, he was a twat).

Admittedly there is sampling bias at work there as these were mostly from a certain strata of American society but even in America the same can be said for nearly everyone I met.

You could cut the kids out of that video and title it "Fascist jackbooted police thugs attack rabies victims with water guns". Plenty of loonies would buy that.

I have worked for four American companies and have met thousands of Americans across the world. That video reminded me of them. hard working, dedicated people doing the best they can for themselves and their families.

Almost universally they were polite, pleasant and charming. Out of that number only two were twats (one was ex-USMC who walted about serving in Korea and having a hard time at the Frozen Chosin. His lovely wife told me he had never been further west than San Diego and that he was a very silly man. The other was a sales manager who looked as if he had stepped out of The Sopranos and acted like he was a made man. He wasn't, he was a twat).

Admittedly there is sampling bias at work there as these were mostly from a certain strata of American society but even in America the same can be said for nearly everyone I met.

You could cut the kids out of that video and title it "Fascist jackbooted police thugs attack rabies victims with water guns". Plenty of loonies would buy that.
Most of the Ex pats that post on here would lap that up!

Latest Threads