America - its all a bit odd...

Hardly surprising as we never have any sun.

We measure the weather in inches of rain/hour.

Thinking about it we probably have wetnecks (not to be confused with the wetbacks the good 'ol boogaloo bois use for target practice).
The Boogie Bois, are anti government and more Libertarian based. I also believe they don’t discriminate by race when it comes to membership. Own simply has to dislike the government to fit in. The question though is if it is just the Feds they hate, or all government. But Hawaiian shirts are back in style again.

I'd like to make this thread a bit more positive, rather than the 'I think America is sh*te because...'

Things I like about the US (no particular order):

• The almost endless variety of scenery;
  • That (with the exception of NYPD, and a lot of NY in general) the people are generous to a fault, and most welcoming, especially when I turn my Home Counties accent onto 'charm' setting;
  • The roads are perfect to long-distance Harley-Davidson Riding;
  • It produced my lovely Fiancé (in case she is reading);
  • For the most part (in my experience - thought cognisant that this may have changed markedly over the last few years) people don't talk to strangers about politics too much, and judge you on your displayed character;
  • The fact I could get hold of the Cosmic Crisp apple which I'd read about for quite a while;
  • Key. Lime. Pie. If I could eat only one thing for the rest of my life...

There's more, but I'd have to think of them first.

I'd like to make this thread a bit more positive, rather than the 'I think America is sh*te because...'

• That (with the exception of NYPD, and a lot of NY in general) the people are generous to a fault, and most welcoming, especially when I turn my Home Counties accent onto 'charm' setting;
  • For the most part (in my experience - thought cognisant that this may have changed markedly over the last few years) people don't talk to strangers about politics too much, and judge you on your displayed character;
  • The fact I could get hold of the Cosmic Crisp apple which I'd read about for quite a while;

I wish you the best in your endeavour.

I have tried about six times to get this (originally lighthearted) thread back on piste. Dismal failures all of them.

Jim30 set it up to discuss the minor quirks that seperate us (like egg white omelettes with broccoli for breakfast) but it always reverts to guns, 2A, NHS v US healthcare, Trump etc etc (all done a thousand times in other dedicated threads.

Not quite. Scotland stayed independent until the Scottish King had the best claim to the English throne - and the House of Stewart inherited both kingdoms. The political Act of Union came a hundred years later; no defeat in battle required. As for the "Stewarts get replaced by Hanoverians" thing, there were more Scots on the winning side in 1745, than on the losing side (pretty much all of the Scottish Regiments were on the winning side at Culloden, including mine). Think of it as "Rangers v. Celtic" rather than "Scotland v. England". After the '45, the leaders had their lands and titles confiscated, were occasionally executed, and the PW+Cas handling saw some rather rough justice. Then followed the Highland Clearances, and a lot of people deciding that the sensible thing was to head off to the New World (and marry time-travelling nurses)...

You don't see any Scottish Regiment still toasting the King over the water, or bumper stickers that celebrate the Jacobite rebellion. We don't have rednecks carrying the White Cockade...

Note that after the Traitorous Insurrection of the Slaveowners against His Majesty King George in 1776, and the resulting score-settling (it's where "Lynch Law" comes from) a lot of the Loyalists decided to leave the country, and headed off into Canada - including a lot of my mother's ancestors. The treatment of the traitorous Confederacy was a lot more benign than precedent would demand - perhaps the USA might not have so many problems today, if it had been a bit more "traditional" in its treatment of traitors.
Quite a few loyalists headed to the Caribbean and other parts of the Empire as well. I did a spell in the Bahamas and from what I understand many of the white Bahamians, I think mostly on the out islands, were descended from loyalist settlers. One of the terms for the long time white Bahamanians being conchy Joes. (conchy pronounced conky, from the conch found in the shallow waters around which spawned a major industry in exporting the shells now much reduced)

There were other islands in the Caribbean settled by the loyalists, but the Bahamas were the closest.

I wish you the best in your endeavour.

I have tried about six times to get this (originally lighthearted) thread back on piste. Dismal failures all of them.

Jim30 set it up to discuss the minor quirks that seperate us (like egg white omelettes with broccoli for breakfast) but it always reverts to guns, 2A, NHS v US healthcare, Trump etc etc (all done a thousand times in other dedicated threads.
I guess I can fall into that trap. All my experiences of America and meeting Americans has been positive, except the opinionated git on the euro train back in '80. grrrrr, the memory of him is still irritating.

But on the whole, love the place, oddities an'all.

Cinnamon tictacs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teg61

Clanker
The Mrs and I spent time in Meridian Mississippi and loved it (where Mississippi Burning was set) the people we met were great and extremely friendly. The local Harley garage even loaned me a bike for our stay at a fantastic price. We used to regularly head down to New Orleans, what a Mental place, I was the drunkest I’ve been in about 20yrs during Mardi Gras. We both joined the local shooting range where they used to do Machine Gun Monday!
On the other hand we both hated New York!

I’m not exactly sure that this is the correct place but The Washington Redskins look into a name change. Now that would have a huge impact on a lot of sports teams in Canada and the USA.

You don't see any Scottish Regiment still toasting the King over the water,
Very true, no Highland Regiment’s mess ever had members pass their drink over a finger bowl doing a loyal toast, never happened, nope never, pure myth that is....

Latest Threads