America - its all a bit odd...

I suspect it had to do with this.

View attachment 486771

'The song is catchy - a classic country and western. A gentle southern twang croons out a chorus. Like many TikTok clips, the user has added music and effects to their video. This is not a normal TikTok vid though.

'First of all, the username clearly contains a homophobic reference. Second, the man is holding a massive assault rifle. "Roll Call: who is a boog boi in Colorado. See who are friends are," is the message. Welcome to TikTok, a place designed for fun and dancing that has a dark underbelly. The video is referring to the Boogaloo Bois, perhaps the most troubling movement to have emerged in the US recently.

'It's hard to describe the group succinctly. Broadly it is an extremist, libertarian militia that is deeply distrustful of government and prepared for a civil war. They are almost always heavily armed.'

So they are not very polite armed polite people?

KKK redux?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
'It's hard to describe the group succinctly. Broadly it is an extremist, libertarian militia that is deeply distrustful of government and prepared for a civil war. They are almost always heavily armed.'

But not prepared to cope without doughnuts or a haircut, when they burst into tears and protest.

Bob Upndown

War Hero
The people you’re talking about will (prior to COVID) do a fair amount of air travel. In the Airline magazine in the seat back pocket will be ads for shirt companies. They offer a wide range of shirt styles, with proper sizing. The sleeves as an example can be ordered extr long or short to fit. They will come with a range of cuff choices, and the monogram options. These shirts are usually $50/60 a pop, and they will have an intro deal where new customers get four for $30/ea with free monogramming. They really are excellent shirts. Many of my former UK colleagues would buy their shirts when the came to the US, a far superior product to what they could get in the UK at Austin Reed etc. I had the intro set, but that was a long while back, my job has changed and I rarely wear formal shirts now.

As for fashion, it was pretty obvious at trade shows etc who had come from Europe with their weird clothing. Epaulettes seemed to be a (highly unnecessary) affectation at one point, together with this weird penchant for wearing them slovenly, untucked and un-ironed. Stood out like a sore thumb.
You are absolutely correct Sir, they did indeed fit that demographic.

But!

I also have to buy my shirts custom made as my odd but perfect(!) body dimensions dictate I must unless I want my cuffs to be 6 inches past my fingernails. And as an Englishman, I have never once felt the need to have my initials displayed on any item of my clothing...without doubt it's a colonial affectation ;)

You're right about the Europeans and epaulettes, I believe the Spanish have a thing for them to accessorise the 'tache

Another fine example of an emotionally-stable member of the polite society in action.

View attachment 486743

'A woman and her husband have been arrested after she pulled a gun on an African-American woman and her teenage daughter in the car park of a fast food restaurant in the US.

'A video of the woman drawing her gun went viral on social media drawing accusations of racism. The group got into an argument after bumping into one another at a Chipotle restaurant in Oakland County, Michigan on Wednesday.

'Jillian Wuestenberg and her husband Eric have now been arrested and charged with felonious assault over the incident. The charges carry a maximum sentence of four years in prison if they are found guilty. The husband has also been sacked from his job at an Oakland university, where he worked in veterans support services. The University said in a statement it had seen the video and deemed it “unacceptable”.

'Before the heated incident, Ms Wuestenberg reportedly jumped out of her car and bumped into Takelia Hill’s teen daughter, Makayla Green prompting Ms Hill to ask for an apology. Ms Wuestenberg then began yelling. After an argument that wasn’t caught on camera, Ms Wuestenberg then allegedly pulled a gun on Ms Hill and Ms Green.'

In a similar vein:

The thing with the initials on the clothes is something that a certain strata of American middle class society see as being very posh by their standards. I don't understand that, but then again I don't understand the affection that some parts of society have for corporate fashion brand logos on their clothes either.

The thing with the initials on the clothes is something that a certain strata of American middle class society see as being very posh by their standards. I don't understand that, but then again I don't understand the affection that some parts of society have for corporate fashion brand logos on their clothes either.
A logo conveys many things.

Hmm, sorta like the scots then
Not quite. Scotland stayed independent until the Scottish King had the best claim to the English throne - and the House of Stewart inherited both kingdoms. The political Act of Union came a hundred years later; no defeat in battle required. As for the "Stewarts get replaced by Hanoverians" thing, there were more Scots on the winning side in 1745, than on the losing side (pretty much all of the Scottish Regiments were on the winning side at Culloden, including mine). Think of it as "Rangers v. Celtic" rather than "Scotland v. England". After the '45, the leaders had their lands and titles confiscated, were occasionally executed, and the PW+Cas handling saw some rather rough justice. Then followed the Highland Clearances, and a lot of people deciding that the sensible thing was to head off to the New World (and marry time-travelling nurses)...

You don't see any Scottish Regiment still toasting the King over the water, or bumper stickers that celebrate the Jacobite rebellion. We don't have rednecks carrying the White Cockade...

Note that after the Traitorous Insurrection of the Slaveowners against His Majesty King George in 1776, and the resulting score-settling (it's where "Lynch Law" comes from) a lot of the Loyalists decided to leave the country, and headed off into Canada - including a lot of my mother's ancestors. The treatment of the traitorous Confederacy was a lot more benign than precedent would demand - perhaps the USA might not have so many problems today, if it had been a bit more "traditional" in its treatment of traitors.

Not quite. Scotland stayed independent until the Scottish King had the best claim to the English throne - and the House of Stewart inherited both kingdoms. The political Act of Union came a hundred years later; no defeat in battle required. As for the "Stewarts get replaced by Hanoverians" thing, there were more Scots on the winning side in 1745, than on the losing side (pretty much all of the Scottish Regiments were on the winning side at Culloden, including mine). Think of it as "Rangers v. Celtic" rather than "Scotland v. England". After the '45, the leaders had their lands and titles confiscated, were occasionally executed, and the PW+Cas handling saw some rather rough justice. Then followed the Highland Clearances, and a lot of people deciding that the sensible thing was to head off to the New World (and marry time-travelling nurses)...

You don't see any Scottish Regiment still toasting the King over the water, or bumper stickers that celebrate the Jacobite rebellion. We don't have rednecks carrying the White Cockade...

Note that after the Traitorous Insurrection of the Slaveowners against His Majesty King George in 1776, and the resulting score-settling (it's where "Lynch Law" comes from) a lot of the Loyalists decided to leave the country, and headed off into Canada - including a lot of my mother's ancestors. The treatment of the traitorous Confederacy was a lot more benign than precedent would demand - perhaps the USA might not have so many problems today, if it had been a bit more "traditional" in its treatment of traitors.
You don’t have Rednecks at all.

Nope, if he shot her in the back he is screwed.

But one does have to wonder what was going through her mind.

If the guy is flying a Nazi flag, it would be who of you to stay off his property.
What was going through her ribcage was a round fired by an Nazi.
What was going through her mind is
"Why should any freedom loving patriotic American tolerate the flag of a defunct, foreign, genocidal dictatorship that we lost tens of thousands of our loyal citizens putting down, to fly over our soil?"

Nope, we've got Huns, Fifers, and Teuchters :)
From wiki

Historical Scottish Covenanter usage
In Scotland in the 1640s, the Covenanters rejected rule by bishops, often signing manifestos using their own blood. Some wore red cloth around their neck to signify their position, and were called rednecks by the Scottish ruling class to denote that they were the rebels in what came to be known as The Bishop's War that preceded the rise of Cromwell.[28][29] Eventually, the term began to mean simply "Presbyterian", especially in communities along the Scottish border. Because of the large number of Scottish immigrants in the pre-revolutionary American South, some historians have suggested that this may be the origin of the term in the United States.[30]

Dictionaries document the earliest American citation of the term's use for Presbyterians in 1830, as "a name bestowed upon the Presbyterians of Fayetteville [North Carolina]".[11][29]

Because of the large number of Scottish immigrants in the pre-revolutionary American South...
Exactly. We got rid of them :cool: but that doesn't exactly fit with the simplified US narrative of "white immigrants were all brave, strong, and true individuals fleeing the oppression of Europe; well, until the Irish anyway"

You don’t have Rednecks at all.
Hardly surprising as we never have any sun.

We measure the weather in inches of rain/hour.

Thinking about it we probably have wetnecks (not to be confused with the wetbacks the good 'ol boogaloo bois use for target practice).

Latest Threads