America - its all a bit odd...

When I joined the Bn in 74 there were a lot of guys who had already done three or four tours. I did my first tour three months after joining the Bn. That tour ended in Oct 74 and then we went back again 9 months later.
The bad times... you deserve at least an oak leaf on your GSM just to show you were boots on the ground. We made a tin city on the square so the RCT could practice driving on the left and other stuff.... they said compared to how we attacked the pigs and the cans was nothing like Belfast... which was far easier.

Last edited:
The bad times... you deserve at least an oak leaf on your GSM just to show you were boots on the ground.
Aw hell it doesn't much matter to me mate. When I left the Army I gave the GSM to one of the kids for when they played soldiers, I haven't seen it since.

Aw hell it doesn't much matter to me mate. When I left the Army I gave the GSM to one of the kids for when they played soldiers, I haven't seen it since.
I got my LS&GC from the RSM on the QT, 2 months later my SSM went ballistic..... wanted a Squadron parade and all the the shyt that comes with it.

NB. My medals were stolen, seems that 21 year old thieves do not know that claiming an LS&GC were theirs, or had they joined the Army at the age of 6..... or that your names is engraved on the rim.

Last edited:
I got my LS&GC from the RSM on the QT, 2 months later my SSM went ballistic..... wanted a Squadron parade and all the the shyt that comes with it.

NB. My medals were stolen, seems that 21 year old thieves do not know that claiming an LS&GC were theirs, or had they joined the Army at the age of 6..... or that your names is engraved on the rim.
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only."

Charles Dickens. A Tale of Two Cities.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only."

Charles Dickens. A Tale of Two Cities.
Political. London and Paris and Paris was one f,ked up city at the time as it slowly evolved into the First Republic.

Sartorial elegance for our colonial friends does seem to be a stretch. Another thing a fair chunk of the professional classes seem to indulge in is monogramming their clothing.

I've worked for a number of organisations that meant I found myself over there or putting up with them over here. About half of those, usually men, I came across had some level of monogram about their person, most usually on the shirt.

Once chap I came across had ''JLD'' stitched in a jaunty font into every visible (didn't check skivvies and socks) item - shirt - left breast, tie - across the widest part, trousers - along right back pocket vent, belt - HUGE across the buckle...natch. And not forgetting the fcuk off gold ring with, yup, ''JLD'' tastefully emblazoned across it.

It might not surprise you to learn he really was an utter, UTTER chod.
The people you’re talking about will (prior to COVID) do a fair amount of air travel. In the Airline magazine in the seat back pocket will be ads for shirt companies. They offer a wide range of shirt styles, with proper sizing. The sleeves as an example can be ordered extr long or short to fit. They will come with a range of cuff choices, and the monogram options. These shirts are usually $50/60 a pop, and they will have an intro deal where new customers get four for $30/ea with free monogramming. They really are excellent shirts. Many of my former UK colleagues would buy their shirts when the came to the US, a far superior product to what they could get in the UK at Austin Reed etc. I had the intro set, but that was a long while back, my job has changed and I rarely wear formal shirts now.

As for fashion, it was pretty obvious at trade shows etc who had come from Europe with their weird clothing. Epaulettes seemed to be a (highly unnecessary) affectation at one point, together with this weird penchant for wearing them slovenly, untucked and un-ironed. Stood out like a sore thumb.

The people you’re talking about will (prior to COVID) do a fair amount of air travel. In the Airline magazine in the seat back pocket will be ads for shirt companies. They offer a wide range of shirt styles, with proper sizing. The sleeves as an example can be ordered extr long or short to fit. They will come with a range of cuff choices, and the monogram options. These shirts are usually $50/60 a pop, and they will have an intro deal where new customers get four for $30/ea with free monogramming. They really are excellent shirts. Many of my former UK colleagues would buy their shirts when the came to the US, a far superior product to what they could get in the UK at Austin Reed etc. I had the intro set, but that was a long while back, my job has changed and I rarely wear formal shirts now.

As for fashion, it was pretty obvious at trade shows etc who had come from Europe with their weird clothing. Epaulettes seemed to be a (highly unnecessary) affectation at one point, together with this weird penchant for wearing them slovenly, untucked and un-ironed. Stood out like a sore thumb.
Worked with two girls.... was asked to remove 8 x 12v 100 amp batteries..... 4 days later they were back from the battery shop and re-installed.... "who fitted them"? I said ... "We did, just we don't like getting battery acid on our uniforms taking them out". I made their life a misery for the next year.

FFS now the way Americans dress is being critiqued. :rolleyes: I reckon we need a new Fashion tips from ARRSERS thread.

FFS now the way Americans dress is being critiqued. :rolleyes: I reckon we need a new Fashion tips from ARRSERS thread.
How you tuck your sleeves tells everyone who you are?

How you tuck your sleeves tells everyone who you are?
Like anyone really gives a flying fukk. Except here on Arrse maybe.

Don’t forget the fanny packs...it hurts so bad to see grown men wear them these days.

No we don’t, because the majority of ARRSErs live in the UK, and we’ll get Brand names on everything. It’s not a Polo, it’s a Fred Perry. It’s not Jeans, it’s Levis. Fine for the UK or elsewhere, but I don’t want that false snobbery here.

A quicky from a plastic scouser....

endure

GCM

endure

GCM
No we don’t, because the majority of ARRSErs live in the UK, and we’ll get Brand names on everything. It’s not a Polo, it’s a Fred Perry.
The irony ;-)

They speak "English" but they don't. Angalacised American said "All gone tits us" on NPR.... and then she had to explain the meaning.

Last edited:

Latest Threads