America - its all a bit odd...

If you took a redneck out of the sticks and made him President...... he would do a much better job than donald.

If you want atmosphere then you need look no further than the college and high school games. American football doesn't interest me much but I have been to a few college and high school games and the atmosphere had a party feel to it with everyone having a great time.
I was at Indiana (something - Hoosiers?) v Jacksonville Jaguars - though with the future in-laws, which may have dampened the party spirit somewhat.

The Ice Hockey I went to was outstanding, though. The Florida Everblades are now my go-to sports team!

offog

LE
Hi Ho Sliver!

The Orange Idiot thinks he looks like the Lone Ranger.
It has been a number of decades since I watched it as a kid but I think the Lone Ranger had an eye mask not a face mask. It was the bad guys who had the face masks.

Trump may be right it's the bad guy he is portraying.

Bob Upndown

War Hero
Am I unique in finding the way millions of them dress to be a bit peculiar?

I'm on about the running trainers and white socks pulled up halfway to their knees thing. Formal belts with jeans. Every shirt they ******* own, tucked into said jeans. They're mad for it.

If you were cutting about like that in Europe people would be dead nice to you thinking you're a spastic.

View attachment 486245

View attachment 486248
Sartorial elegance for our colonial friends does seem to be a stretch. Another thing a fair chunk of the professional classes seem to indulge in is monogramming their clothing.

I've worked for a number of organisations that meant I found myself over there or putting up with them over here. About half of those, usually men, I came across had some level of monogram about their person, most usually on the shirt.

Once chap I came across had ''JLD'' stitched in a jaunty font into every visible (didn't check skivvies and socks) item - shirt - left breast, tie - across the widest part, trousers - along right back pocket vent, belt - HUGE across the buckle...natch. And not forgetting the fcuk off gold ring with, yup, ''JLD'' tastefully emblazoned across it.

It might not surprise you to learn he really was an utter, UTTER chod.

"Whatever you do, don't call them rednecks" as I crossed the border into South Carolina, this from a last minute lass that decided to impart the knowledge she had been refused 3 visas to the USA 10 feet from the passport control desk at JFK (Probably the worst place to mention it in the world, I ended up basically signing for her on a 1033).... the 5 hour flight was obviously not an ample opportunity, or the 6 hours sat at Heathrow.... or the 3 hours on the train..... or 4 months earlier when I applied for a new passport.

Last edited:
I was at Indiana (something - Hoosiers?) v Jacksonville Jaguars - though with the future in-laws, which may have dampened the party spirit somewhat.

The Ice Hockey I went to was outstanding, though. The Florida Everblades are now my go-to sports team!
The Colts vs the Jaguars, I presume??

You need to go to a grudge match game.

I just did my sums, a total of 3 years and 6 months of my twelve years spent in NI.
Accumilated service medal? I did a runner when I was "offered" another year...... seeing Belfast (Use to be Larne) pass into the distance on the ferry was a special moment. Bit off thread here. (NB. I banged off the 22, but max respect for the guys that walked the streets).

Last edited:
Nope, just the GSM NI.
Thats just wrong, blanket stackers in REMF land get the extra medal, real soldiers don't. If they did a BAOR medal I would expect mine to be with oak leaves and clustered in diamonds.

Last edited:
Thats just wrong, blanket stackers get the extra medal, real soldiers don't.
When I joined the Bn in 74 there were a lot of guys who had already done three or four tours. I did my first tour three months after joining the Bn. That tour ended in Oct 74 and then we went back again 9 months later.

Latest Threads