America - its all a bit odd...

A little - although as I got older I was too small for the team really - last time I played was approx 7 years ago now.
I played football in Jr High and HS, so I am naturally biased. But if you are not exposed to the game at an early age you won’t have a clue. Football is a game that is big on strategy and technique.

My ex wife banned me from watching American football with the family, I kept asking why they've stopped again, why changing so many players, are they too unfit to play for a whole quarter without stopping for a break.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
I saw USA/England at Twickenham years ago (I didn't even know they played rugby).

The USA got hammered but that was down to skill and experience, and certainly not physical fitness.

The USA team were seriously fit. More so than the British hulks, bruisers and pie fanatics..

I played football in Jr High and HS, so I am naturally biased. But if you are not exposed to the game at an early age you won’t have a clue. Football is a game that is big on strategy and technique.
Oh, entirely - however I wasn't exposed to Baseball either - but it is easier to get into and enjoy as an outsider.

endure

GCM

What is Jr High and HS? Age ranges for each?

it’s not football.

it’s just British Bulldog - in Lycra tights

What is Jr High and HS? Age ranges for each?
7th grade is the start of Junior High so I think 8th year for you folks or 12 years old. Junior high was 7th-9th grade and High school was 10-12th.

But now the 9th graders are shipped off to one of the three high schools we have in town.
Central, East, or South.

Oh, entirely - however I wasn't exposed to Baseball either - but it is easier to get into and enjoy as an outsider.
It is a bit easier to pick up and slower paced. The beer and stadium dogs also help, in the warm summer months. Football for us started in the blistering heat of August three a days and ended in the snows of October.

Bodenplatte

Old-Salt
Same with most games - once you play them, and fully grasp the nuances and strategy they become fascinating.
5 day Test Cricket has got to be the best example - utterly absorbing to the cognoscenti, but baffling and boring to the rest of the world.

Same with most games - once you play them, and fully grasp the nuances and strategy they become fascinating.
5 day Test Cricket has got to be the best example - utterly absorbing to the cognoscenti, but baffling and boring to the rest of the world.
I agree. If it is what you grew up with and learned to play yourself, then it is ingrained in you. Many people on this forum think football is a slow game with no rhyme or reason to it. But in fact it is our version of grand strategy between two opposing forces with contact. They see a bunch of poofters in pads and I see chess pieces being maneuvered by a coach trying to do his rival in.

Something I like about America is Baseball. Last year I went to watch the Chicago Cubs play - it was confusing, noisy, crowded...and thoroughly enjoyable.

I was sat up in the 'bleachers' next to this GIANT of a gentleman (and his normal-sized family). Pretty soon we were chatting / drinking and having a whale of a time. He took great delight in explaining everything that was happening on the pitch, and even greater delight in laughing at my confusion. Great times.

This contrasts with my experience of American Football - dull and went on for ever (although equally confusing as Baseball to me).

It's almost like they're the inverse of the British equivalents of Cricket and Rugby.
A warm summer Friday night baseball game is one of those awesome things to go to. Cold beer and hot dogs and no crowd nastiness.

Something I like about America is Baseball. Last year I went to watch the Chicago Cubs play - it was confusing, noisy, crowded...and thoroughly enjoyable.

I was sat up in the 'bleachers' next to this GIANT of a gentleman (and his normal-sized family). Pretty soon we were chatting / drinking and having a whale of a time. He took great delight in explaining everything that was happening on the pitch, and even greater delight in laughing at my confusion. Great times.

This contrasts with my experience of American Football - dull and went on for ever (although equally confusing as Baseball to me).

It's almost like they're the inverse of the British equivalents of Cricket and Rugby.
I have been to a few MLS Dodger games - I dont get the attraction, apart from its a great excuse to get sunburned, drink beers and eat hot dogs while catching the sight of some hot ladies.

Half the regulars seem to arrive late and left early... Its hardly nail biting stuff, more like a nice way to get fat and have a relaxing time.

I agree. If it is what you grew up with and learned to play yourself, then it is ingrained in you. Many people on this forum think football is a slow game with no rhyme or reason to it. But in fact it is our version of grand strategy between two opposing forces with contact. They see a bunch of poofters in pads and I see chess pieces being maneuvered by a coach trying to do his rival in.
Exactly. Test cricket was mentioned a couple posts ago - that is also a strategy game, things like the weather forecast come into play. In Football, the timing of the drives to deny the opposition the opportunity to reply before the clock winds down, the strategies to draw the opposition into your own stronger parts of the game, or avoid theirs, as a foreigner coming in, it took me years to appreciate what was actually going on. Others see stop/start play, unnecessary equipment, unnecessary changing of the team etc, but this is because they’re comparing it to what they’re used to, namely rugby. It’s really quite different, neither inferior nor superior, just different.

One of the things that is clearly superior is the community involvement at High School games. Friday night in many towns is characterized by the HS football game, particularly if they’re playing a local rival. The schools have fairly large stadiums, often with a marching band and cheerleaders. It’s very different to what I grew up with in the UK, which was basically a field with H’s at either end. No facilities, very few spectators, and that was that. My stepson is a senior this year, so this’ll be the last, but it’s been fun. I won’t miss paying $7 to get in though :)

Exactly. Test cricket was mentioned a couple posts ago - that is also a strategy game, things like the weather forecast come into play. In Football, the timing of the drives to deny the opposition the opportunity to reply before the clock winds down, the strategies to draw the opposition into your own stronger parts of the game, or avoid theirs, as a foreigner coming in, it took me years to appreciate what was actually going on. Others see stop/start play, unnecessary equipment, unnecessary changing of the team etc, but this is because they’re comparing it to what they’re used to, namely rugby. It’s really quite different, neither inferior nor superior, just different.

One of the things that is clearly superior is the community involvement at High School games. Friday night in many towns is characterized by the HS football game, particularly if they’re playing a local rival. The schools have fairly large stadiums, often with a marching band and cheerleaders. It’s very different to what I grew up with in the UK, which was basically a field with H’s at either end. No facilities, very few spectators, and that was that. My stepson is a senior this year, so this’ll be the last, but it’s been fun. I won’t miss paying $7 to get in though :)
Yes and in the NFL coaches and staff have to prepare for vastly different teams with a week or less between games. Followed by trying to maintain a roster, when injuries strike. Then basing their offense and defensive game plans on how best to beat your opponent.

Even at the high school level all of our lunches were spent watching film in the locker room.

I saw USA/England at Twickenham years ago (I didn't even know they played rugby).

The USA got hammered but that was down to skill and experience, and certainly not physical fitness.

The USA team were seriously fit. More so than the British hulks, bruisers and pie fanatics..
The US are reigning Olympic champions, so they were OK in 1924.

Isn't baseball the same as rounders, but with a slightly bigger pitch? [Note for our cousins. Rounders is a game played by small children before they can understand cricket].

;)

I must say that baseball is really quite a straightforward game, with a few tactics thrown in here and there. Not confusing though.

NFL used to be mystifying to me, but the more I have seen, the clearer it has become. Now that I finally understand it (TBH probably only a fraction of all the nuances) it is quite an enjoyable thing to watch, although the highlights are vastly preferable to a full-length game.

Latest Threads