America - its all a bit odd...

endure

GCM
But of a joke since he was referring to a carry respirator. But being able to shove the damn thing in a pocket is nice, and keeps it from being lost.
You do realise it won't do much good in your pocket? ;-)

I wear a SIG P365.

Then why put up signs warning about them? Attacks on humans may be rare (but are increasing with increasing lion populations and greater expansion of people into their habitat), but the wife's Yorkie is something much more up their alley. My two year old is as well: Captain Foy made that quoted statement earlier this year after a lion put a 3-year-old in the hospital by biting him on the head. A few weeks later another lion attacked and dragged a 6-year-old girl. The lion was later shot to prevent future attacks.

I wear masks, and last I checked, you can't realistically shoot a virus. I don't see the relevance of your last statement.
I've seen two lions this year, both eying up the cattle and their calves. I've put a round close to them to scare them off which usually works but if they come on back, well it'll end there.

My dogs usually let me know when there are predators in the locality.

I only wear it when I absolutely have to.
To be serious for once, I wear a mask where it seems advisable and the polite thing to do, and take it off when it's not required. If you wear it when it is not necessary you risk getting it wet with condensation from your breath unnecessarily and reducing its effectiveness.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
I've seen two lions this year, both eying up the cattle and their calves. I've put a round close to them to scare them off which usually works but if they come on back, well it'll end there.

My dogs usually let me know when there are predators in the locality.
I agree with your stance, you can't have your livestock decimated by a predator. You've scared them off with a warning shot and you obviously have some decent dogs who tell you what's happening.

What annoys me is that the Parks and Wildlife Agencies post warning signs for John and Jane Doe and yet, they still wander along the trails and wonder why their young children are attacked.

@Steamboat - take note.

To be serious for once, I wear a mask where it seems advisable and the polite thing to do, and take it off when it's not required. If you wear it when it is not necessary you risk getting it wet with condensation from your breath unnecessarily and reducing its effectiveness.
This is our “mask station” at home. They are washed at least once if not twice a week regardless if used or not. But we put them on the key chain so as not to forget them when we leave the house.
78258E0F-8E4E-4AE0-9A2F-445EBF3E0499.jpeg

I agree with your stance, you can't have your livestock decimated by a predator. You've scared them off with a warning shot and you obviously have some decent dogs who tell you what's happening.

What annoys me is that the Parks and Wildlife Agencies post warning signs for John and Jane Doe and yet, they still wander along the trails and wonder why their young children are attacked.

@Steamboat - take note.
We have mountain lions that wander into town. They can be a nuisance for city dwellers.

This guy was found by the VA, and that is not the outskirts of the city or the built up part of the county.

If you do a bit of digging you'll find that a lot of those attacks are carried out by the young inexperienced, injured or old cats.

My own personal opinion being that if folks are going to wander around areas with critters that have big sharp teeth and claws, then they need to do a fair bit of research on keeping them away and not letting small kids wander off as well as keeping dogs on a leash.

I have invested a lot of time in my dogs, they have been trained to not go after wildlife unless they are given the say so by me. I've had bears wander up pretty close to where I have been doing work, the dogs will let me know it's there but the won't go after it.

I've found that most wildlife are pretty fearful of humans and will usually give us a wide berth, however the danger lays with young inexperienced predators and the old desperate ones nearing the end of their days and slowly dying of starvation.

To date, fortunately, I have only had to end the life of one old bear who persistently bluff charged me but was getting bolder with each charge and that was despite giving it every chance to move on.

For the most part the critters around our home have gotten to know us and we them, we all live in a semi fragile harmony where we respect them and their space, and they do the same.

We have mountain lions that wander into town. They can be a nuisance for city dwellers.

This guy was found by the VA, and that is not the outskirts of the city or the built up part of the county.
They really are beautiful magnificent animals. That one in the video looks to be pretty young so probably inexperience has brought it into town looking for an easy meal.

This is our “mask station” at home. They are washed at least once if not twice a week regardless if used or not. But we put them on the key chain so as not to forget them when we leave the house.View attachment 484925
Is that your old lady's knickers hanging there?

endure

GCM
They really are beautiful magnificent animals. That one in the video looks to be pretty young so probably inexperience has brought it into town looking for an easy meal.
We prefer to watch them through binos at a comfortable distance. They are up in the forest and every once in a while we see one. But they are still big cats and not domestic tabby’s.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Stand by for cries of 'genocide' when the first COVID-19 case emerges in 'Woke County, Oregon'.

'Citing concerns about racial profiling, a county in the state of Oregon has declared people of color exempt from it mandate on wearing masks in public.'

"many Black and Latino Americans objected, saying that wearing masks would make people assume they’re criminals."
So it's OK for whitey to go around looking like a criminal? I think our non white brethren have just stereotyped themselves!

endure

GCM
This is our “mask station” at home. They are washed at least once if not twice a week regardless if used or not. But we put them on the key chain so as not to forget them when we leave the house.View attachment 484925
If your car keys have any sort of electronics in them don't hang them near the door. Car thieves use relay boxes to boost the signals to either break into your car or to drive away with it. Press reports of exactly how this works are vague, but it's a common problem. Car companies are avoiding talking about it as they don't want to admit liability.

The thieves work in pairs. One stands next to the car with one relay box, and the other waves another relay box around the front door or window to pick up the signal from the key. They open the car electronically and can in many cases drive it away.

I've seen varying recommendations on how to deal with this, ranging from just keeping the car keys in a spot near the centre of the house, to keeping them in a metal box (e.g. a metal tea tin or something like that). Generally though, the thieves are looking for people who hang their keys by the front door.

Electronic security in cars is pretty poor, and even the cars with supposedly the best systems are getting hacked and stolen all the time.

Latest Threads