America - its all a bit odd...

I went to many dodgy places while I was in the merch but the only place where the shipping agent refused to allow us to go ashore was Baltimore.
Having driven through Baltimore in 2001 (not long before 9/11), I can wholeheartedly agree with that. Nothing would have induced me to stop.

needlewaver

War Hero
Not all laws that get passed are worth the ink and paper they were written on.
Write citations and bring in revenue.
So you get to ignore laws you don’t like? There are a number of laws in the UK I think are utter dogshit but I have to investigate any alleged breaches of them.

Where does this ink and paper quality line lie? Who decides what’s worth obeying or not?

edit - if there are laws that are unpopular, lobby your congressman to get them repealed, democratically. Because if you just ignore things, then the rest of the world may think your are a nation of lawless idiots.

So you get to ignore laws you don’t like? There are a number of laws in the UK I think are utter dogshit but I have to investigate any alleged breaches of them.

Where does this ink and paper quality line lie? Who decides what’s worth obeying or not?
If we followed the rules we would be “British”.

Normally in these cases you have progressives trying to enforce unpopular ideals on their rural counterparts. Who don’t quite see things eye to eye.

needlewaver

War Hero
If we followed the rules we would be “British”.

Normally in these cases you have progressives trying to enforce unpopular ideals on their rural counterparts. Who don’t quite see things eye to eye.
Lawless idiots, got you, thanks.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
You have not mentioned the massive economic and industrial boost to the US caused by WW2.
I was trying to not be too long-winded - it did help massively and just at the right time too.
The US doctrine at the time was overwhelming use of machines and materiel (which worked well for them until Cassino) which was forced upon a more tactically aware and experienced (by that time) UK led coalition. Of course we didn't have the manufacturing base as it had been overtaken by the raw output of the US and commercially we couldn't compete with the numbers.

Post war was mainly about turning the war salvage into something useful and to continue to dominate the world with it's ideals and aspirations, the world was told the 'American Dream' was something to aspire to, and for a while, we believed it.

I’m going to withdraw from this discussion, it is clear that there are posters here who have an agenda, and no matter what I (or others) say, it will make no difference.

Parting remarks:

There’s only a few of us on here that can comment even remotely objectively on matters on the opposite side of the pond, ie those with significant experience of the other culture. That applies beyond the current topic, to things like tipping, education, healthcare etc. Those that don’t have the relevant experience know only what they think they know through MSM, hearsay from others, or limited business/leisure travel to the other country.

It is clear that there are cultural differences, and indeed performance differences between the different countries. Attempts to judge other side through the lens of one side is doomed to failure. The US, for example does not include sales tax in retail prices. The UK does. The US sales tax rate is less than 10%, whereas UK is 20%. There is clearly an advantage to either approach. Less tax paid vs perceived transparency of pricing. Yet to some posters, come what may, their side is somehow “right”. The truth of the matter is that it is “different”. A theme I have made several posts on, in the life of this thread.

I like to think that I have a balanced view, some of the things that go on in both countries are to be strongly lauded, and others not so much. Death in custody and rioting is not something to be proud of. Putting men into orbit is a technological achievement that few countries can do. On the same day is something that no other country does :)

But in the UK, there is a population that is so divided by the likes of Brexit, or North/South perceived divide, but at the same time can have such national unity as has been seen with the CV-19 crisis.

To those that have hit the mong buttons - my policy on those is ”no first use” and to return fire if received. So to those that hit them, you can expect tit-for-tat. Grow the fcuk up and argue reasonably.

Cousins. Similar, but different. Here endeth my contribution on this immediate topic.

I’m going to withdraw from this discussion, it is clear that there are posters here who have an agenda, and no matter what I (or others) say, it will make no difference.

Parting remarks:

There’s only a few of us on here that can comment even remotely objectively on matters on the opposite side of the pond, ie those with significant experience of the other culture. That applies beyond the current topic, to things like tipping, education, healthcare etc. Those that don’t have the relevant experience know only what they think they know through MSM, hearsay from others, or limited business/leisure travel to the other country.

It is clear that there are cultural differences, and indeed performance differences between the different countries. Attempts to judge other side through the lens of one side is doomed to failure. The US, for example does not include sales tax in retail prices. The UK does. The US sales tax rate is less than 10%, whereas UK is 20%. There is clearly an advantage to either approach. Less tax paid vs perceived transparency of pricing. Yet to some posters, come what may, their side is somehow “right”. The truth of the matter is that it is “different”. A theme I have made several posts on, in the life of this thread.

I like to think that I have a balanced view, some of the things that go on in both countries are to be strongly lauded, and others not so much. Death in custody and rioting is not something to be proud of. Putting men into orbit is a technological achievement that few countries can do. On the same day is something that no other country does :)

But in the UK, there is a population that is so divided by the likes of Brexit, or North/South perceived divide, but at the same time can have such national unity as has been seen with the CV-19 crisis.

To those that have hit the mong buttons - my policy on those is ”no first use” and to return fire if received. So to those that hit them, you can expect tit-for-tat. Grow the fcuk up and argue reasonably.

Cousins. Similar, but different. Here endeth my contribution on this immediate topic.
I think cousins is a bit of a stretch.

What a great advert for Murica this is. Scumbag cops or what?

His own fault for not immediately following orders. According to the bootlickers freedom lovers.
I further note Roadster280 has said he won't contribute to this thread any more and yet he's given my post a dumb. Guess that's his FREEEEEEDUMB at work then...

endure

GCM
The guy they knocked over had a walking stick too...
Blokes lucky he wasn't a bit on the dark side. Carrying a stick and dusky - capital offence that is. Just saying.