America - its all a bit odd...

Is part of the issue the sheer size of the US?

At a very simplistic level as a country / empire gets larger the issues with a sense of unity seem to become much larger. The consequences seem to be you either get a very autocratic system of government (1920 - 1970s USSR, the PRC, 18th century British Empire etc.) or the system allows a more democratic approach and the whole thing falls apart (post Glasnost USSR and the 20th century Empire).

Small countries don't seem to have this issue nearly as often as large countries do. Canada and Australia being notable exceptions to my idea but the population density of large parts of those countries is so small it wouldn't have the same impact.

Is it a country version of the 'ideal tribe size' theory and past a certain point there are too many different opinions to maintain a cohesive nation? Awaiting a bunch of examples showing I'm talking out of my arse.

Well, it seems that, if no-one else, @Dicky Ticker agrees with you.
Hey don't assume I agree with all of it!

I'm just questioning whether the blue states, who seem to be spending all their time telling the citizens "Orange man bad" are reaping the seeds they sowed when they started.

The whole thing is a shit show and to honest I'm not surprised.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'd say a city in flames is a fairly newsworthy item myself. Or does that just apply to when it's the UK 9 years ago?

Well one should try to also understand the media is always looking for sensational news to report.
You still here? Posting on a British military themed forum?

when your country has successfully launched two astronauts into space?

That female Police chief in Atlanta had More guts than most of the “2nd amendment warriors”.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I'd say a city in flames is a fairly newsworthy item myself. Or does that just apply to when it's the UK 9 years ago?
I thought all that was put down to high (Khat) spirits among the Africans and 'aggravated shopping'?

Do not want to start another theme, so pose a question here, given the 'Long Hot Summer' has started in the Land of the Free and some of the circumstances are the same as UK covid etc, could the riots kick off in the UK. Black Lives Matter/Burn Baby Burn ?

If a soldier kills a enemy soldier, fulfilling the roe, following orders, knowing that he was going to be killing the enemy before it happened and thinking through the best way to do it, that would meet the criteria of murder but it's obviously not the same as the countless other ways that people kill one another.

Murder is not just murder, it's not all the same.

Disregarding weather or not this cop meant to kill the guy or not, he will probably not be convicted because his training allows him to do what he did, the guy resisted arrested, he was a big chap (200lb) and the cop can just say that he was in fear for his life and in the heat of the moment he fell back in his training.

I'm surprised that they even charged him, if it were not for all the rioting, i doubt that they would have, I've seen worse done by cops on video and they got away with it.

Government always wins.
Possibly the cop could claim that, if it wasn’t for the couple of million video witnesses.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Well apparently it proved the UK was as bad as the USA for ummm reasons and stuff.
If you mean 'Croydon' instead of 'UK', then i'd agree.

You still here? Posting on a British military themed forum?

when your country has successfully launched two astronauts into space?

That female Police chief in Atlanta had More guts than most of the “2nd amendment warriors”.
Indeed, I am.

Yes the astronauts made it into space.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Do not want to start another theme, so pose a question here, given the 'Long Hot Summer' has started in the Land of the Free and some of the circumstances are the same as UK covid etc, could the riots kick off in the UK. Black Lives Matter/Burn Baby Burn ?
Possibly, they are protestors on the streets of Toronto trying to tie all injustices against anyone who isn’t white to this Minneapolis incident, so yes, if it can rear it’s head here, it can just as easily in the UK......

Now, to cut them some slack, they've not really had that long to sort their $hit out. They were dumped in a strange and foreign land
They weren't dumped, this isn't Australia,the bulk went willingly to be rid of that festering hole they came from where one didnt need to be the son of some 1st Lord of gonorrhea, Viscount Privy to make good

fought with the incumbents, 'won', fought with the Government of the time, 'won', fought with each other, 'won'
Sorta like Cromwell, Eh?

... recognise that everyone else doesn't have the same values, priorities and point of view.
so the opposite of what you lot imposed in India, Ireland, Burma, South Africa, etc.

Watching CNN, US cops really don’t get the concept of de-escalation and minimal force.
kneecapping peaceful protestors with riot sticks... yeah, that’s the way to calm things down.
Letting them burn your vehicles and Precinct house belies your knowledge, rather than slotting them all Reggie Dyer style

Most people prefer the flower pots. You can create a true garden but it has to be approved by the HOA, and immaculate.

approved by the HOA?

I only need the approval of my wife, not a neighbourhood Block Arbietslaager committee.

are you sure you live in a free country?

Latest Threads