America - its all a bit odd...

D

Deleted 164106

Slightly silly question but are police in general approachable in the US? If you're lost can you walk up to one and ask for directions or is it best to avoid them unless absolutely necessary?
I approached two in NY, to ask where something was, and they were pretty rude.

The one I approached in San Francisco was friendly, and even let me sit on his bike, and took a photo for me:

20200530_222551.jpg

I approached two in NY, to ask where something was, and they were pretty rude.

The one I approached in San Francisco was friendly, and even let me sit on his bike, and took a photo for me:

View attachment 478017
But, California is a different country, full of tree-hugging, commie-sympathising, snowflake Democrat lesbians.

Snip

The situation as a whole looks destined to become worse as their political system as a whole becomes increasingly less representative of the population due to the inherent nature of the Senate itself and how its seats are allocated, and an electoral system which is under the control of people who are preoccupied with rigging elections in their own favour by either keeping their opponents from voting or making sure that those votes they can't prevent have as little influence on the outcome of an election as possible.
Snip

Great post, fascinating.

'Rioting is the language of the unheard.'

D

Deleted 164106

Well you were in San Francisco...and are British.
I was beating them off with a shitty stick.

Women, that is. Not cops.

"What do I do for work?" <turns up the Home Counties accent>

"Well, it's a little embarrassing, really - I used to Command fine soldiers in Her Majesty's Army - however now, as the Fifth Duke of Wimbourne I find that I have free time to focus mainly on charity endeavors".

I was beating them off with a shitty stick.

Women, that is. Not cops.

"What do I do for work?" <turns up the Home Counties accent>

"Well, it's a little embarrassing, really - I used to Command fine soldiers in Her Majesty's Army - however now, as the Fifth Duke of Wimbourne I find that I have free time to focus mainly on charity endeavors".
Well I hope you enjoyed the single life. With marriage and the loss of freedom you are soon to join the rest of us.

Have you picked your safe word for the wedding?

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
It's vaguely possible they might find out soon.

Too many people with too many guns and too many strange ideas/neuroses does not make for a stable society.

Excellent post BTW.
I've seen many Americans waving placards saying 'Freedom is Essential' recently, the problem as I see it is that with Freedom comes responsibilities. Now, to cut them some slack, they've not really had that long to sort their $hit out. They were dumped in a strange and foreign land, fought with the incumbents, 'won', fought with the Government of the time, 'won', fought with each other, 'won' but completely forgot there was a country to run, and to do that, you need to be friendly with your neighbours, trade with them and recognise that everyone else doesn't have the same values, priorities and point of view. Over the last two hundred and fifty years or so,they've slowly learned the rest of the world isn't cast in their mould, now they need to look inwards to their personal neighbours, realise that the Frontiersmen are long gone (although there does seem to be a resurgence of the 'wild west'), realise that they are still in their petulant teenager years as a country and start looking to behave in a way that all the other grown ups find acceptable.

And Yes, Excellent post Terminal.

Yep, and all brought under control without a single shot being fired by LE. The joys of a polite society.
A polite society doesn't riot in the first place, nor has a reason to riot, a Polite society does not commit Arson

Last edited:
Watching CNN, US cops really don’t get the concept of de-escalation and minimal force.
kneecapping peaceful protestors with riot sticks... yeah, that’s the way to calm things down.

For reasons best known to Microsoft, I can't see what's on your link, but I'll hazard a guess that there's not a single firearm in evidence, which rather puts a hole in your previous characterisation of polite society.
Pictures of the George Floyd vigil at the Capitol building.

You would be surprised how boring life is out here, especially when we have all the guns.

Pictures of the George Floyd vigil at the Capitol building.

You would be surprised how boring life is out here, especially when we have all the guns.
Didn't answer the query - 'I'll hazard a guess that there's not a single firearm in evidence'.