America - its all a bit odd...

Wow, somebody got shot in Detroit, never believed the day would come that a senseless killing would happen in Motown, shocking, absolutely socking......
My only surprise is that it took one of the fanbois so long to reply and roll out the standard trope of 'that's Detroit'.

My only surprise is that it took one of the fanbois so long to reply and roll out the standard trope of 'that's Detroit'.
If you ever desire to see what the reality of Detroit actually is, I highly suggest reading the Metro Detroit police blotter which is published daily. You will see that one killing is merely a drop in the bucket of the rather long list of daily occurrences. I’ve spent years working in Detroit and vicinity, it’s always been a shïthole and doubt it will change....

What does the US police federation think of this? I presume they give some sort of representation for the copper accused of the killing, but do they issue any statement given that I assume many of its members are non white?
Some of the local LE organizations here in CA pretty much came out and said it looked like a crime from day one.

Everyone is calling this racist - this POS cop would have done the same to anyone on his radar. His wife is Asian/his co workers were Asian/black. This was just a cop who didn’t give a shit if the guy died.

Where were the riots And outrage when Duncan lemp was shot in his bed a few months back?

endure

GCM
If you ever desire to see what the reality of Detroit actually is, I highly suggest reading the Metro Detroit police blotter which is published daily. You will see that one killing is merely a drop in the bucket of the rather long list of daily occurrences. I’ve spent years working in Detroit and vicinity, it’s always been a shïthole and doubt it will change....

The music's good though...

endure

GCM
It has a higher per capita murder rate than the vast majority of the third world. Hardly an irrelevant fact.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
If that's genuinely a child at a riot. Somebody needs a life lesson with a baseball bat
they're fine, they've got to the end of 'Medal of Honour' with only three respawns....

diesel_jim

Swinger
Slightly silly question but are police in general approachable in the US? If you're lost can you walk up to one and ask for directions or is it best to avoid them unless absolutely necessary?
Quite a few years back (like 25+) I was on hols there. Was lost looking for a car parts place, wandered up to a "squad" car, tapped the window in pure British style...."I say my good fellow....", copper looked like he shat himself. Once he realised I was just asking directions and (possibly) being English his demeanour changed and he relaxed and gave me the directions. But I reckon if it was dark (or I was) and he was in a mood of somekind, I may have had the risk of lead poisoning.

Some of the local LE organizations here in CA pretty much came out and said it looked like a crime from day one.

Everyone is calling this racist - this POS cop would have done the same to anyone on his radar. His wife is Asian/his co workers were Asian/black. This was just a cop who didn’t give a shit if the guy died.

Where were the riots And outrage when Duncan lemp was shot in his bed a few months back?

His wife binned him, murder is murder.

His wife binned him, murder is murder.
If a soldier kills a enemy soldier, fulfilling the roe, following orders, knowing that he was going to be killing the enemy before it happened and thinking through the best way to do it, that would meet the criteria of murder but it's obviously not the same as the countless other ways that people kill one another.

Murder is not just murder, it's not all the same.

Disregarding weather or not this cop meant to kill the guy or not, he will probably not be convicted because his training allows him to do what he did, the guy resisted arrested, he was a big chap (200lb) and the cop can just say that he was in fear for his life and in the heat of the moment he fell back in his training.

I'm surprised that they even charged him, if it were not for all the rioting, i doubt that they would have, I've seen worse done by cops on video and they got away with it.

Government always wins.

Disregarding weather or not this cop meant to kill the guy or not, he will probably not be convicted because his training allows him to do what he did, the guy resisted arrested, he was a big chap (200lb) and the cop can just say that he was in fear for his life and in the heat of the 9 moment he fell back in his training.
FoC. Oh, and whether the weather be fine, or whether the weather be not, whether the weather be cold, or whether the weather be hot, we'll weather the weather, whatever the weather, whether we like it or not.

offog

LE
If a soldier kills a enemy soldier, fulfilling the roe, following orders, knowing that he was going to be killing the enemy before it happened and thinking through the best way to do it, that would meet the criteria of murder but it's obviously not the same as the countless other ways that people kill one another.

Murder is not just murder, it's not all the same.

Disregarding weather or not this cop meant to kill the guy or not, he will probably not be convicted because his training allows him to do what he did, the guy resisted arrested, he was a big chap (200lb) and the cop can just say that he was in fear for his life and in the heat of the moment he fell back in his training.

I'm surprised that they even charged him, if it were not for all the rioting, i doubt that they would have, I've seen worse done by cops on video and they got away with it.

Government always wins.
You need to look at all the video. He did not resist.
The guy on his neck was not the one that killed him it was the other guy on his chest.

That is Detroit however. It's also a lot of other cities in the US. I used to travel in Michigan on business, but not lately. Parts of Michigan looked like bombed out parts of Europe at the end of WWII.

The US has very serious and deep seated social problems which are reflected in their current downward political spiral. Their political system seems to be poorly structured to deal with it.

The current political faction in power and their hard line supporters seem to have given up even trying and are satisfied to simply manage the decline over the course of their own lifetimes. Their main political opponents are focused on patching together ever shakier coalitions to make individually tailored and conflicting promises to. Neither would be considered to be ready for governance in most other countries.

The situation as a whole looks destined to become worse as their political system as a whole becomes increasingly less representative of the population due to the inherent nature of the Senate itself and how its seats are allocated, and an electoral system which is under the control of people who are preoccupied with rigging elections in their own favour by either keeping their opponents from voting or making sure that those votes they can't prevent have as little influence on the outcome of an election as possible.

The US political system is complex and convoluted and seems to be too inflexible to be able to adapt to changes in US society. I am reminded in some ways of 19th century continental Europe. There a political system was increasingly unrepresentative of where underlying power lay in societies which were going through urbanisation and industrialisation. As a result they were racked by turmoil as newer political forces vied for power against an establishment and their supporting classes.

The established powers and their supporters of course had all the guns, and so thought they could maintain power indefinitely. Well they did have all the guns until the rebels broke into the armouries and armed themselves, after which both sides had all the guns. Things often took a downward spiral from there.

Americans like to idolise the idea of guns and revolution, and of the people violently rebelling against a governing power they don't happen to like. I don't think though that they really thought through what that would be like to live with in reality.

Americans like to idolise the idea of guns and revolution, and of the people violently rebelling a governing power they don't happen to like. I don't think though that they really thought through what that would be like to live with in reality.
Well, when people think 'The Hunger Games' is a real-life documentary ... :rolleyes:

*snip*

Americans like to idolise the idea of guns and revolution, and of the people violently rebelling against a governing power they don't happen to like. I don't think though that they really thought through what that would be like to live with in reality.
It's vaguely possible they might find out soon.

Too many people with too many guns and too many strange ideas/neuroses does not make for a stable society.

Excellent post BTW.

Latest Threads