America - its all a bit odd...

endure

GCM
Unfortunately with savings accounts paying 1% or less you need to be creative and my ability to pick shares makes putting money on the grand national seem like a good investment.
I prefer CD's to make some money slowly. The Stock Market is great when the good times are here, but hell when it $hits.

Bob Upndown

War Hero
Back in the 80s when I was young, free and a fullscrew at the depot my mate turned up at the mess and had an Amex card. I was going through the card collection phase at the time and looked on in excitement. How, I asked and he said you require a annual salary of 8k and fill in the form. Off I went and got a nice reply saying give it 6 months and try again. 6 months latter and I had my card. Did the same with DC and got a snotty letter back saying bog off. I kept the letter and have ignored all their request to join their stuck up lunch club.

Those were the days when bank accounts cost money to have as well as the annual payment on the cards.
Back in the glory days of commercial aviation prior to 9/11, I was spending circa £50k per annum on Beardy’s dime on expenses on my Amex. Oddly, I went from Blue to Black (when it had a modicum of use) in a flash after starting with VS. Suffice to say, I tore the absolute arrse out of all the freebies and comps for a frequent flyer/hotacc user.

As soon as I left and the significant expenditure stopped, a demand for a £575 membership renewal arrived. A swift missive suggesting they do one followed :)

Fighting the early birds for an hour plus of cart pushing, and waiting in line for 45 minutes plus as they only have one lane open.
I guess if it’s once a fortnight it’s bearable. I just tend to pop into the local shops or supermarket on the way home from work or a quick foray during the weekend. Usually doesn’t take too much time.

I guess if it’s once a fortnight it’s bearable. I just tend to pop into the local shops or supermarket on the way home from work or a quick foray during the weekend. Usually doesn’t take too much time.
It sucked, so we switched to online ordering and pick up for most things. I would rather spend 10-15 minutes in the pickup area and 4 minutes helping the store associate load up the truck and be done with the entire ordeal.

endure

GCM
It sucked, so we switched to online ordering and pick up for most things. I would rather spend 10-15 minutes in the pickup area and 4 minutes helping the store associate load up the truck and be done with the entire ordeal.

More 'all a bit odd'. In the UK 'store associates' are 'shop assistants'...

More 'all a bit odd'. In the UK 'store associates' are 'shop assistants'...
Are employees offended if you say help them load your vehicle? Is it standard practice to get out of your vehicle and lend a hand to the worker bees? Most of them here are younger females or older females and it is a black mark as a male to just watch them and not assist.

endure

GCM
Are employees offended if you say help them load your vehicle? Is it standard practice to get out of your vehicle and lend a hand to the worker bees? Most of them here are younger females or older females and it is a black mark as a male to just watch them and not assist.

In the UK you go into a shop/supermarket and buy stuff. Once you've paid for it and passed through the checkout the responsibility of handling it is yours.

We don't do loading of vehicles by shop staff apart from obviously old folks who need a hand.

If you're fit enough to buy stuff you're fit enough to carry it to your car.

In the UK you go into a shop/supermarket and buy stuff. Once you've paid for it and passed through the checkout the responsibility of handling it is yours.

We don't do loading of vehicles by shop staff apart from obviously old folks who need a hand.

If you're fit enough to buy stuff you're fit enough to carry it to your car.
We let the people on the till sit down too...

Latest Threads