America - its all a bit odd...

McMansions are the worst - look nice from outside, but you can hear every creak...and when a tornado or a gale hits them, get easily blown away.

I am still glad that my old school gaff outside Detroit is made from red bricks, no wood at alll......maybe not be much to look at, but is sturdy.
London is a more than outside Detroit.......

I am still glad that my old school gaff outside Detroit bedsit here in London is made from red bricks, no wood at alll......maybe not be much to look at, but is sturdy.

It's also better for abseiling out of.
FOC

You should be the worst comedian ever.
Aw didums! Better a bad comedian than a permasending fantasist in a bedsit in London.

What is with you and bedsits in London - do you have a fetish or something. You know f-all about me, so f-off.
Oooo Touchy, touchy. The bedsit thing in London is where you actually live. Might not know much about you but I do know you're a lying permasending fantasist.

I live the other side of the country and that's still closer to Detroit than you've ever been.

What is with you and bedsits in London - do you have a fetish or something. You know f-all about me, so f-off.
Actually everyone on here knows about you as you’ve been following the -look at me, look at me - path for years. Unless you’re admitting what a fantasist and liar you actually are, your ticket is pretty easy to read......

While I don’t live in Tornado Alley, I do live in the Canadian tornado belt and my home is indeed wooden. You can buy retro fit kits to make your home more survivable but you need to rip open walls and floors to install them which usually ruins the aesthetics. As much as I don’t wish to have my house collapse, the thought of ripping into a century home may lower the insurance premiums, but will ruin its character so I’ll just take my chances.
There are tornado-resistant homes in the US, but a genuinely tornado-proof home generally is built like a concrete bunker.

The difference between tornado-resistant and tornado-proof is that the former generally won't survive a direct hit from a tornado, or possibly may just have a small interior room which is intended as an emergency tornado shelter while the rest of the house gets demolished around it. I should note that even with the above bunker-like home you would still stand a good chance of getting sucked out through the window unless you have steel shutters over the windows and doors.

The tornado kits you spoke of are intended to resist high winds, such as you might get from a tornado which is near by, or an unusually strong (for Ontario) hurricane, or just high winds from a particularly intense storm. They use straps to keep the roof from being sucked off the house by anchoring the roof more securely to the framing. If the roof gets blown off then the rest of the house is generally considered a write-off. Just making the walls out of heavier material doesn't by itself do much to resist that.

We get tornados in Ontario and they can be devastating when they hit. The reality is though that it's a big province which only gets a couple of tornados every few years, and the chances of a tornado ever hitting your house are very small. Some retard driving his car through the front of your house on his way home from a Saturday night out is a more common occurrence.

Here's a video from UWO (University of Western Ontario) which shows the roof straps.

"
Oooo Touchy, touchy. The bedsit thing in London is where you actually live. Might not know much about you but I do know you're a lying permasending fantasist.

I live the other side of the country and that's still closer to Detroit than you've ever been."

Actually everyone on here knows about you as you’ve been following the -look at me, look at me - path for years. Unless you’re admitting what a fantasist and liar you actually are, your ticket is pretty easy to read......
Keep fantasizing about my antics...

Go on then, prove us all wrong, post a picture of an Aussie newspaper with ARRSE written on the front page next to the date. Not difficult, a dollar and a biro will make us all shut up and stop calling you a liar.

Go on then, prove us all wrong, post a picture of an Aussie newspaper with ARRSE written on the front page next to the date. Not difficult, a dollar and a biro will make us all shut up and stop calling you a liar.
Close but no cigar, slight flaw in your plan. I can get my hands on a Australian newspaper in Canada and do the same thing, pretty sure all it takes is a visit to Heathrow and he can do the same.

"

I live the other side of the country and that's still closer to Detroit than you've ever been."

Must be sad being you, to a degree I actually pity you.

When I was a sprog we went to live in Oz as 10 pound poms. My folks bought half a house in East Keilor. It was built on stilts and covered in weatherboard. We built the other half and it's still there today. I can't post a picture but if you go to Google Earth and search 26 Borva Drive East Keilor you'll see it there in all its splendour
This it?

Got a lot of these types of houses dating from the 60's and 70's around my area still standing.

laff.jpg

Oh goodness me! The fantasist accusing others of fantasizing. It just doesn't get much better than that. You just keep on giving.

Close but no cigar, slight flaw in your plan. I can get my hands on a Australian newspaper in Canada and do the same thing, pretty sure all it takes is a visit to Heathrow and he can do the same.
Or he could post a photo of his passport with the visa and the Australian entry immigration stamp. It'll be on one of the passport pages so there is no danger to his persec.

Doesn't matter if he deletes any previous posts, the date he is supposed to have arrived in OZ is covered ;)

Hey prove us wrong and I'll try and be the first to apologise. So c'mon Redshit, put up or shutup.

This it?

Got a lot of these types of houses dating from the 60's and 70's around my area still standing.
Scoldog, how often do you get cyclones down your way?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoleBath The Book Club 0
Mr_C_Hinecap US 11
POGscribbler The NAAFI Bar 159

Latest Threads