America - its all a bit odd...

Winchester made a (Williams) .50 BMG anti tank rifle but it was never issued. I recall saw seeing something about it on Forgotten Weapons.

Okay, just found the link.

As mentioned in the video, by the time this was developed anti-tank rifles were pretty obviously obsolete. The US had bought some Boys anti-tank rifles from Canada though. The curious thing from my perspective is that the US didn't develop one in the early to mid 1930s at the latest.

The real successors to the anti-tank rifle were things like the PIAT, bazooka, and the like.

As mentioned in the video, by the time this was developed anti-tank rifles were pretty obviously obsolete. The US had bought some Boys anti-tank rifles from Canada though. The curious thing from my perspective is that the US didn't develop one in the early to mid 1930s at the latest.

The real successors to the anti-tank rifle were things like the PIAT, bazooka, and the like.
I believe that during the 1930's, US defence spending wasn't really a priority and spending was pretty much cut to the bone due to the National Defense Act which was adopted in 1920.

Designed in 1980 but based on the earlier Anti-Materiel rifles. Carlos Hathcock pioneered the use of a .50 anti-personnel sniper rifle in Korea by whacking a tele sight on an M2 Browning.
Carlos Hathcock was 8 years old in 1950. His .50 sniper rig was a 10X Unertl attached to a borrowed M2HB pre sighted and registered on a spot. He simply waited for some dumbass to light a smoke and fired. He also did not pioneer it, there were experiments with PTRS/PTRD A/T rifles during Korea

As said in the sentence which followed the one you highlighted, the .50 BMG wasn't very portable by infantry in the way an anti-tank rifle was. Plenty of countries had both heavy machine guns in the 12.7mm to 15mm range, and anti-tank rifles as well. The French Hotchkiss 13.2mm machine gun for example was fairly popular and widely exported and also licensed produced by other countries. Other examples are the .50 Vickers, the 15mm Besa, and the 12.7mm DShK. That didn't obviate the need in the eyes of most countries for something that was portable by infantry however.
Portability is relative.

In US Service a Machinegun squad was 12 men (squad leader, asst, gunner, asst gnr and ammo bearers /riflemen and had a vehicle to transport the crew, ammo, gun & ancillaries over long distances just as they did with the M1917 Water Cooled browning's. They also had a Variety of wheeled carts (such as the M3A4). Here you can see how HMG were moved-

The US Army used motorized transport to a greater degree than the UK, French or Heer even in the 1920's

I'e seen those at the gun shows, and they are nice to look at, but why would you want to own one? :? It's a little on the overkill side. As long as the gubmint says you can have one though, then I say more power to the prospective gun owner.
View attachment 445092
Probably need the larger calibre for longer shots. I could see myself on a 1500m range spending all day getting it right with that. Not sure why he needs the dress up stuff, but each to their own.

Can't be cheap though. Day on the range with that is going to make a big hole in the beer fund.

Probably need the larger calibre for longer shots. I could see myself on a 1500m range spending all day getting it right with that. Not sure why he needs the dress up stuff, but each to their own.

Can't be cheap though. Day on the range with that is going to make a big hole in the beer fund.
They are $6000 roughly - not a cheap plinking toy. I am not sure, but I think the guy is just having a laugh lugging his 30 lb rifle around looking like a chump. I have seen loads of people take selfies with him and his goofy grin is in all of them.

Bit of a piss take then.

6k is definitely a bit eye watering. Add the cost of ammo and you're well on the way to becoming teetotal.

Bit of a piss take then.

6k is definitely a bit eye watering. Add the cost of ammo and you're well on the way to becoming teetotal.
I have only bought it once and it was $5 a rd.

My bank manager would be a gibbering wreck if I mentioned the idea to him.

Looks like the cousins are finally going to get a grip on the many weird and wonderful animals people take on planes as 'emotional support animals' basically because the airlines can't stop them. Southwest Airlines handles more than 190,000 emotional support animals per year. American Airlines carried 155,790 emotional support animals in 2017, up 48% from 2016, while the number of checked pets dropped 17%. United Airlines carried 76,000 comfort animals in 2017. Not great for other passengers or trolley dollies.
The Transportation Department proposes a narrow definition in which a service animal could only be a dog that is trained to help a person with a physical or other disability. Passengers with a service dog would have to fill out a federal form on which they swear that the dog is trained to help them. A dog trained to help with psychiatric needs would qualify as a service animal.

Looks like the cousins are finally going to get a grip on the many weird and wonderful animals people take on planes as 'emotional support animals' basically because the airlines can't stop them. Southwest Airlines handles more than 190,000 emotional support animals per year. American Airlines carried 155,790 emotional support animals in 2017, up 48% from 2016, while the number of checked pets dropped 17%. United Airlines carried 76,000 comfort animals in 2017. Not great for other passengers or trolley dollies.
The Transportation Department proposes a narrow definition in which a service animal could only be a dog that is trained to help a person with a physical or other disability. Passengers with a service dog would have to fill out a federal form on which they swear that the dog is trained to help them. A dog trained to help with psychiatric needs would qualify as a service animal.

What, no more assistance alpacas or peacocks on flights, how are these poor victims meant to cope.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

What, no more assistance alpacas or peacocks on flights, how are these poor victims meant to cope.
In the words of my late, great grandfather "suck it up buttercup!"

I have only bought it once and it was $5 a rd.
If you think that's expensive then what about that artillery shoot in the middle of nowhere with privately owned cannon? Even 40 mm would cost an arm and a leg, but going for the big stuff 100 mm or more.............

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

I had an assistant peacock called Percy when I lived in Wiltshire.

It assisted in waking me up at 05:00 each morning.

The multi-coloured cnut.

Last edited:
Something going bump (or bang) in the night, deep in the heart of Texas. I must have been quite a blast (or Texan houses are very shoddily built).

'One person is missing following a large explosion at an apparent industrial building in Houston that heavily damaged nearby buildings and homes, left rubble scattered in the area and was felt miles away.

'The Houston Fire Department said one person was taken to a hospital because of Friday morning's blast and a fire burned at the site hours after the explosion. Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo said Friday morning that one person was unaccounted for. People were told to avoid the area. Aerial images showed rubble where one building apparently had stood and debris strewn about. Surrounding structures had portions of their walls and roofs heavily damaged.

'Mark Brady, who lives near the blast site, told Houston TV station KPRC that the explosion "knocked us all out of bed.It busted out every window in our house. It busted everybody's garage door in around here and closer toward the explosion over here, it busted people's roofs in and walls in," he said.

'The explosion, which appeared to be centred on an industrial building, shook other buildings about 4:30am (local time), with reports on Twitter of a boom felt across the city. People were told to avoid the area. Houston police tweeted that officers were blocking off streets, but no evacuation was ordered. Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said first responders were checking on residents of nearby homes.

'Several people told Houston TV station KHOU that the explosion was so loud, they thought a bomb had gone off or that a vehicle had crashed into their homes. At one man's home about a quarter mile (0.4km) away, glass doors were shattered, ceilings were cracked, and the lid of his toilet was even torn off, the station reported.

'Southeast Texas has seen a series of explosions in recent years up and down the Texas Gulf Coast, which is home to the highest concentration of oil refineries in the nation. Last July, an explosion at an ExxonMobil refinery in Baytown left more than dozen people with minor injuries and put nearby residents under a shelter-in-place advisory for three hours. In December, two blasts in the coastal city of Port Neches shattered windows and ripped the doors from nearby homes.'

Team USA scores another gun-related own goal.

'A four-year-old boy has died days after being accidentally shot in the head by a handgun tucked into his father’s pants, police said.

'Tripp Shaw, of Indiana, was injured on Sunday night last week when a Glock semi-automatic handgun that his dad Tyler had tucked in the small of his back discharged while they play-wrestled on a bed in their Bloomington home, the New York Post reported. The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office reported the young boy died on Thursday, according to indystar.com.'

Something going bump (or bang) in the night, deep in the heart of Texas. I must have been quite a blast (or Texan houses are very shoddily built).

'One person is missing following a large explosion at an apparent industrial building in Houston that heavily damaged nearby buildings and homes, left rubble scattered in the area and was felt miles away.

'The Houston Fire Department said one person was taken to a hospital because of Friday morning's blast and a fire burned at the site hours after the explosion. Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo said Friday morning that one person was unaccounted for. People were told to avoid the area. Aerial images showed rubble where one building apparently had stood and debris strewn about. Surrounding structures had portions of their walls and roofs heavily damaged.

'Mark Brady, who lives near the blast site, told Houston TV station KPRC that the explosion "knocked us all out of bed.It busted out every window in our house. It busted everybody's garage door in around here and closer toward the explosion over here, it busted people's roofs in and walls in," he said.

'The explosion, which appeared to be centred on an industrial building, shook other buildings about 4:30am (local time), with reports on Twitter of a boom felt across the city. People were told to avoid the area. Houston police tweeted that officers were blocking off streets, but no evacuation was ordered. Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said first responders were checking on residents of nearby homes.

'Several people told Houston TV station KHOU that the explosion was so loud, they thought a bomb had gone off or that a vehicle had crashed into their homes. At one man's home about a quarter mile (0.4km) away, glass doors were shattered, ceilings were cracked, and the lid of his toilet was even torn off, the station reported.

'Southeast Texas has seen a series of explosions in recent years up and down the Texas Gulf Coast, which is home to the highest concentration of oil refineries in the nation. Last July, an explosion at an ExxonMobil refinery in Baytown left more than dozen people with minor injuries and put nearby residents under a shelter-in-place advisory for three hours. In December, two blasts in the coastal city of Port Neches shattered windows and ripped the doors from nearby homes.'

Houston apartment block under construction. Draw your own conclusions.

Attachments

Latest Threads